DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just trying to understand what is going on in the history. Perphaps the HR20 works in 4 dimensions.

My history contains future dates where shows have been canceled.

To me History means things that happed before right now not anything in the future. Does someone have a better understanding about what History truly is?

Todays Date is Oct 18 2006 note the picture of future dates. Too bad it can't tell me what stocks to buy and sell.

 

Attachments

·
Godfather
Joined
·
270 Posts
btmoore said:
I am just trying to understand what is going on in the history. Perphaps the HR20 works in 4 dimensions.

My history contains future dates where shows have been canceled.

To me History means things that happed before right now not anything in the future. Does someone have a better understanding about what History truly is?

Todays Date is Oct 18 2006 note the picture of future dates. Too bad it can't tell me what stocks to buy and sell.
It's that way on everyone's box. I described it in the Software Update thread for 0xDC (here). It's dislike number 4.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
686 Posts
I have previously pointed out the uselessness of this particular user interface misfeature, but Earl corrected me and said this is normal operation for the History list.

Perhaps they have a different definition of "history" than the rest of us do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
It's listing showings for those dates that were canceled. Perfectly normal. The date listed is not when it was canceled but when the recording was supposed to occur if it didn't get canceled.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PoitNarf said:
It's listing showings for those dates that were canceled. Perfectly normal.
"were" is past tense, those date are in the future not past so they "were" not canceled they may be things that will be canceled, but that is not history that is the future.

When I see history I expect to see a historic representation of what has happened aka a log, not future pending events, assuming that is what is being shown on this "History" screen.

So as long as the word "History" has its current definition as used in the English language, I would say this is not "perfectly normal" rather down right confusing.

If they had an event date that showed the date of the program was canceled, the show being canceled and the date and time of the show being canceled then it would make sense. Because it would then be a log of actions.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
197 Posts
dervari said:
I believe it's a history of "activity" and not "recordings".
I agree Dervari... Maybe it should be change to "activity" On my HR20, I had the premier of "Las Vegas" marked "Canceled" for 10/20. It looks like the network bump it back a week because it's in my "To Due" for 10/27. Also, in my "History" are "2" software updates I've received since I put this box in service..
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
The History also reflects ANYTHING related to your scheduled "tasks"

So in the "past" someone or some process "deleted"/"cancelled" your recordings.

One thing that fills up the History is that during a reboot "all" your ToDo list items are "canceled" as when the system reboots, the guide hasn't repopulated... so when the validator against the todo list runs, doesn't find the program in the guide... cancels it... and marks it as such.

So yes... everything in the History tab, happened in the past... but those actions could affect "future" recordings.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
I'm not understanding the issue here. Tivo's recording history has the same informaiton in the "future" as well. I've used it before on Tivo when I notice that a program is not in the ToDo list and I wonder why. I go to the history and it tells me why it's not going to be recorded.

So this isn't anything new for the HR20, Tivo's been doing it for 5+ years.,
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
matto said:
i don't get why the heck they don't put FUTURE CANCELLLED RECORDINGS in the TODO LIST where all the other FUTURE SCHEDULED EVENTS are.

it's plain stupid.
I agree, future things go in todo and what it did goes in the history. Now that is logical.

Putting in future thing it is going to cancel in the history is just confusing.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
matto said:
i don't get why the heck they don't put FUTURE CANCELLLED RECORDINGS in the TODO LIST where all the other FUTURE SCHEDULED EVENTS are.

it's plain stupid.
So you want to fill up the ToDo list, and make it longer.
With programs that where canceled? even if it is a manual cancel ?

So if you had the A-Team setup to record, and they had a marathon weekend... and you cancel then all... you want all those future cancels in the ToDo list... even though there is nothing "todo" with them ?

Instead of the "action" of canceling them, being put in the History of events on the box...

Hence there will never be a box that will be 100% to 100% of the people out there.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
matto said:
dude, its simple.

todo is for future events.
history is for past events.

putting some of one into the other violates the principle of least surprise.
Dude... you right it is simple.

ToDo is what the unit is going TODO
History is what has already happened to the unit, and what has happened is that a scheduled recording has been canceled and that action is in the past, not in the future.

If I wanted a History of what HAS recorded I will look at MyVod

Maybe they should add a third listing... Status of all future scheduled recordings.

Regardless... this (above) is how the unit is programmed to work today (as is the R15).
If they change the logic, I'll let you know in a future release note
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
686 Posts
If the program in question is in the future, it should be listed in the todo list as cancelled. It is an upcoming event which will not be recorded.

Once the time of the program has passed, it should be listed in the history as cancelled. It is a past event which has not been recorded.

If you can find me a new user who would expect future events to appear in a 'history' i will buy you a beer.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
matto said:
If the program in question is in the future, it should be listed in the todo list as cancelled. It is an upcoming event which will not be recorded.

Once the time of the program has passed, it should be listed in the history as cancelled. It is a past event which has not been recorded.

If you can find me a new user who would expect future events to appear in a 'history' i will buy you a beer.
I am sure if I could if I looked...
Just like I am sure you could find me a new user that would say it should be in the ToDo List.. And i am sure we could do a poll on which is way is the best way... and then there can be an argument on who is right, who is wrong...

This is one of MANY "opinion" things....
Neither of us are "wrong" with how we want it to work... Both are valid ways to do it.

If the unit had user customizablity, maybe we could BOTH get our way of doing it... and what is to say there isn't a third way, fourth way, fifth...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
686 Posts
oh come on earl.

language works because a group of people agree on the concepts referred to by a specific word.

"To Do" refers to events in the future.
"History" refers to past events.

I am sure that if I looked hard enough, I could find someone who believed that Tom Cruise was sent to earth by aliens in order to brainwash us.

My apologies for not thinking I needed to explicitly say "RATIONAL new user" in my last post.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
matto said:
oh come on earl.

language works because a group of people agree on the concepts referred to by a specific word.

"To Do" refers to events in the future.
"History" refers to past events.

I am sure that if I looked hard enough, I could find someone who believed that Tom Cruise was sent to earth by aliens in order to brainwash us.

My apologies for not thinking I needed to explicitly say "RATIONAL new user" in my last post.
So the action of me CANCELING the recording, is going to happen in the future? Or I am going to cancel it in the future, for a future recording.

The history reflects the ACTIONS on the unit.

So yes... I bet we can find "RATIONAL new users" that support both of arguments, just like I am sure there is a "RATIONAL new user" out there that will come up with a third way (like show the action of canceling in the HISTORY, and still list it the program in the ToDo List as Cancelled)

And before someone goes there... yes.. .items NOT going to record because of CONFLICTS are in the ToDo list... Why... as "in the future" the program IS going to conflict with two other recordings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
History equals what has happened or what the unit has already done= the past.
To Do is what is scheduled to happen.
History tells us a show that WAS scheduled to be recorded in the future HAS been cancelled. So therefore it's labeled perfectly. I don't want to see cancelled recordings in my TO DO list, since CANCELLED by definition means it already happened. Cancell(ed) is a past action on a future show.

Simple!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
"I have seen the future and it is the same as the past, only longer."

Dan Quisenberry
Kansas City Royals
(before there were DVRs)

Sorry.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top