DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AllStar
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone inquiring about an HR34. The phone rep said that the receiver will not have all the functionality unless I get a sony TV that has RVU functionality. Is Directv that desperate now that they are now pushing TV's for Sony? I don't like it. She tried to make it seem like the thing wouldn't work without a Sony TV. Oh well... I'll just mail order it and hook it up my self. Rant over.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
And not all Samsung TVs either. I do think you can go out right now and get a non RVU compatible Samsung.

To the OP, that's what I did, just ordered and self installed. I'm assuming you already have SWM and the HR34 won't take you over your current tuner limit (commonly 8)?

·
AllStar
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dpeters11 said:
To the OP, that's what I did, just ordered and self installed. I'm assuming you already have SWM and the HR34 won't take you over your current tuner limit (commonly 8)?
Yes. The dish I have installed has a SWM. I have a single tuner in the living room which I plan on making a dual tuner setup. Add that to the HR34 and that brings me up to 7. Between the two I'll be able to record 7 different shows at one time. I can't wait to get it.

Oh yeah.... Thanks btw.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Spoonie" said:
Yes. The dish I have installed has a SWM. I have a single tuner in the living room which I plan on making a dual tuner setup. Add that to the HR34 and that brings me up to 7. Between the two I'll be able to record 7 different shows at one time. I can't wait to get it.

Oh yeah.... Thanks btw.
No problem. Just wanted to make sure it was as easy of a swap out as you were expecting, and it is. Sometimes can't tell if someone has thought of everything :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
Iceburg02 has posted the model numbers from last year. I believe that Samsung has stated that all 2012 Smart TVs will be RVU compatible. Right now stores will have both last year's models and this year's models so be careful.

·
Godfather
426 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, but if new RVU capable Samsung TV's come with firmware version 1028, .....

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2985796

No idea whether this is a DirecTV firmware problem, a Samsung firmware problem or some combination of both, but potential Samsung RVU TV buyers might want to be cautious until it is resolved.

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Beerstalker said:
Iceburg02 has posted the model numbers from last year. I believe that Samsung has stated that all 2012 Smart TVs will be RVU compatible. Right now stores will have both last year's models and this year's models so be careful.
My apologies - thanks for the correction. Would be nice if D* had current info on their site.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Barry in Conyers said:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but if new RVU capable Samsung TV's come with firmware version 1028, .....

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2985796

No idea whether this is a DirecTV firmware problem, a Samsung firmware problem or some combination of both, but potential Samsung RVU TV buyers might want to be cautious until it is resolved.
Even when RVU works, it still sucks. It may be marginally acceptable for a guest bedroom TV, but not on a main TV.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
CurtP said:
Even when RVU works, it still sucks. It may be marginally acceptable for a guest bedroom TV, but not on a main TV.
SO you have tried it? When, how was it actually hooked up, and what was wrong with it? And it is young, it will get better over time. I think the real culprit on rvu right now is that the hr34 needs plenty of work still on its firmware...

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Spoonie said:
Just got off the phone inquiring about an HR34. The phone rep said that the receiver will not have all the functionality unless I get a sony TV that has RVU functionality. Is Directv that desperate now that they are now pushing TV's for Sony? I don't like it. She tried to make it seem like the thing wouldn't work without a Sony TV. Oh well... I'll just mail order it and hook it up my self. Rant over.
Their training hasn't been the best. You can not use its rvu capabilities without a samsung tv (not sony) but that doesn't mean it won't work exactly like the other dvrs in their lineup, which I don't think they explained very well.

I'd still say order it through them if you can get a discount on it, because the installers are usually smarter than the csr, especially on this particular issue.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
inkahauts said:
SO you have tried it? When, how was it actually hooked up, and what was wrong with it? And it is young, it will get better over time. I think the real culprit on rvu right now is that the hr34 needs plenty of work still on its firmware...
Yes, I had it. I gave up and went back to traditional receivers recently. Currently I feel that RVU is dead. It was released too soon, doesn't work well and doesn't save you any money on leased receiver fees. I like the concept, but the execution is very poor.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
"CurtP" said:
Yes, I had it. I gave up and went back to traditional receivers recently. Currently I feel that RVU is dead. It was released too soon, doesn't work well and doesn't save you any money on leased receiver fees. I like the concept, but the execution is very poor.
Rvu isn't being pushed right now at all, from the marketing department, and likely won't be until they release a client. Rvu is anything but dead. It really hasn't launched yet.

And we don't know if it will save you money or not. I have not seen one person say they have tried to activate more than three rvu clients. If we can activate eight clients but only be charged for three a month per hr34 that we have, then it will save money. I hope that's what they do, since you can only use three clients at time with one server. I'm guessing by the end of the year, we will all know more.

You still didn't mention what was wrong or why you gave up on it.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
I've hashed it out in other threads on why I've given up on it. Trickplay is too slow to respond to be usable, audio and video dropouts, it's buggy and with the latest firmware from Samsung, doesn't work at all. And that's why I think it's dead - unless they fix all the issues, it's going to continue to be a PITA to use and customers won't like it.

Personally, I think I already know how they'll "fix" trickplay - they'll disable it. It will end up being like an H-series receiver. And if they do that, what would be the point of RVU over an H25?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.