DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
I get HLN and TruTV in HD (Comcast), but I don't watch either much at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
It also appears to be simply the down-rezzed HD feed letter-boxed into 4:3, which is fine for an old SDTV, but means short of zooming HDTV viewers are stuck with a window-boxed image that I never prefer watching anyway.

And with DIRECTV's crummy SD resolutions, you can barely afford to watch a program at its normal size much less to zoom in on it. :rolleyes:

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
HoTat2 said:
It also appears to be simply the down-rezzed HD feed letter-boxed into 4:3, which is fine for an old SDTV, but means short of zooming HDTV viewers are stuck with a window-boxed image that I never prefer watching anyway.

And with DIRECTV's crummy SD resolutions, you can barely afford to watch a program at its normal size much less to zoom in on it. :rolleyes:
You can get the full screen by pressing the FORMAT key until is says "Crop format". It looks about the same as if I take off my glasses when watching HD. :lol:

·
Icon
1,569 Posts
When HLN was really headline news, I used to watch it. You could get complete news coverage in 30 minutes. Now, I do not see what purpose HLN has. I have not watched it in years.

Should it be in HD? Probably.

Should it be in HD before Universal Sports, DIY, BBCA, NGW, etc are? Definitely not.

It is all about setting priorties, and HLN is no where near the top of the list.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
HLN is available in HD.

The question should have been why does DIRECTV choose not to carry HLN HD.

Like many who don't subscribe to DIRECTV, I get HLN HD and cannot recommend either the SD or HD renditions for regular viewing.

I must point out that I believe watching news and weather as entertainment is pointless and possibly even harmful to the viewer's well-being.

·
Godfather
405 Posts
fleckrj said:
When HLN was really headline news, I used to watch it. You could get complete news coverage in 30 minutes. Now, I do not see what purpose HLN has. I have not watched it in years.

Should it be in HD? Probably.

Should it be in HD before Universal Sports, DIY, BBCA, NGW, etc are? Definitely not.

It is all about setting priorties, and HLN is no where near the top of the list.
100% agreed. HLN is a joke of a channel, not really necessary to have it in HD.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
One day, all channels will be in HD, with the possible exception of TVLand. It's not a matter of if, but when.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
By then, how many channels will be broadcasting in 4K resolution? lol
None. 4k is just too much bandwidth for broadcast. 1080i weighs in at 1MP. The low end of 4K TV (Digital Cinema 4096x1714) weighs in at 7MP and goes all the way up to 12MP (Full Aperture 4096 x 3112).

They would have to multiplex multiple TV channels to broadcast a single 4K program.

In satellite terms, I'm not sure they could get everything on a single transponder.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
harsh said:
None. 4k is just too much bandwidth for broadcast. 1080i weighs in at 1MP. The low end of 4K TV (Digital Cinema 4096x1714) weighs in at 7MP and goes all the way up to 12MP (Full Aperture 4096 x 3112).

They would have to multiplex multiple TV channels to broadcast a single 4K program.

In satellite terms, I'm not sure they could get everything on a single transponder.
We're getting off topic, but they also said HD couldn't be done, and local channels would never happen....

·
Legend
184 Posts
TomK said:
I usually don't care about the people that much but Robin Meade needs to be seen in HD.
+1 :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
D* doesn't have enough bandwidth to add every available national HD channel, but I think they have several slots available. They just haven't chosen to carry some of these although many people apparently repeatedly ask for them..

H2
BBC America
DIY
HLN
etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.