DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
jerkieman said:
??

Thanks
The amount of compression used can be a factor, but the bit-rate is the biggie. The bit rate on OTA is considerably higher than on D* due to banddwidth limitations from not having enough satellites (or having too many channels, however you would like it stated).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,583 Posts
Of course, OTA can only be better if you can actually receive the station's OTA signal with an antenna. Many folks cannot.

We can't compare the HR20's OTA HDTV with its MPEG4 HDTV yet until the OTA tuners are activated. But in comparing my Seattle MPEG4 HDTV channels with their OTA equivalents on my HR10-250's OTA HDTV tuner, the MPEG4 HDTV are very very close. It takes some careful obversation to see that the MPEG4 channels have just a bit more compression artifacts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Of course, OTA can only be better if you can actually receive the station's OTA signal with an antenna. Many folks cannot.

We can't compare the HR20's OTA HDTV with its MPEG4 HDTV yet until the OTA tuners are activated. But in comparing my Seattle MPEG4 HDTV channels with their OTA equivalents on my HR10-250's OTA HDTV tuner, the MPEG4 HDTV are very very close. It takes some careful obversation to see that the MPEG4 channels have just a bit more compression artifacts.
I really hope mine are as good as yours when they show up, although I doubt I'll ever use them. (once OTA is available). I guess if I were hurting for disk space, it would be an advantage to do the MPEG-4 HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Additionally, with the OTA you will be able to receive many of the digital subchannels such as NBC Weather Plus which are not carried by D*.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
650 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Of course, OTA can only be better if you can actually receive the station's OTA signal with an antenna. Many folks cannot.

We can't compare the HR20's OTA HDTV with its MPEG4 HDTV yet until the OTA tuners are activated. But in comparing my Seattle MPEG4 HDTV channels with their OTA equivalents on my HR10-250's OTA HDTV tuner, the MPEG4 HDTV are very very close. It takes some careful obversation to see that the MPEG4 channels have just a bit more compression artifacts.
Dog,
Your folks are in Stockton, right? What locals can they NOT get OTA. I am anxiously awaiting activation of the OTA on the HR20 so I can get KTXL Fox 40 in HD since Tibune has not reached an agreement with D* yet. By the way any word on those negotiations lately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Additionally, with the OTA you will be able to receive many of the digital subchannels such as NBC Weather Plus which are not carried by D*.
Darn! I keep forgetting that, thanks for the reminder on the sub-channels, two of which are pretty useful here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
hasan said:
Darn! I keep forgetting that, thanks for the reminder on the sub-channels, two of which are pretty useful here.
Yep, Weather Plus is very nice to have since D* only carries The Weather Channel in national form.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
194 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Of course, OTA can only be better if you can actually receive the station's OTA signal with an antenna. Many folks cannot.

We can't compare the HR20's OTA HDTV with its MPEG4 HDTV yet until the OTA tuners are activated. But in comparing my Seattle MPEG4 HDTV channels with their OTA equivalents on my HR10-250's OTA HDTV tuner, the MPEG4 HDTV are very very close. It takes some careful obversation to see that the MPEG4 channels have just a bit more compression artifacts.
have you guys gotten all the majors up on the bird yet? here in vegas we are still stuck on the two 720p b'casters.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
One thing I saw this weekend, I was watching the race and switched between receivers to see D* and OTA feeds. The D* feed, watching the scrolling of race drivers and their standing in the race was really jerky and very hard to read. The feed OTA was smooth. The cars were sometime jerky from D* but smooth OTA.
 

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
hasan said:
I really hope mine are as good as yours when they show up, although I doubt I'll ever use them. (once OTA is available). I guess if I were hurting for disk space, it would be an advantage to do the MPEG-4 HD.
Well, in my case, I'll bring in the Lansing Mich DMA via OTA and have the Flint/Saginaw/BayCity DMA via D* and MPEG4. :)

Best of both cities for me.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,438 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I believe most of the HD local markets have the big 4 up.
The evidence is clearly at odds with this. There are numerous markets with less than the full complement of four HD channels. Strangely, it seems to be related more to who owns the stations than to a particular network.

Some good Samaritan posted a list a while back and there are many stations missing. Examples near me are Reno (#110), Seattle (#14) and Portland (#23) which have only ABC and Fox.

I haven't been able to locate the post again. The list probably should have been added to Chris' market availability sticky.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,438 Posts
laurier said:
How does cable HD compair to D* and OTA?
Your mileage will vary. Some cable companies offer pretty decent HD programming while others are not good at all. Most do not scale like D* does, but they may compress more to make up for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
harsh said:
The evidence is clearly at odds with this. There are numerous markets with less than the full complement of four HD channels. Strangely, it seems to be related more to who owns the stations than to a particular network.

Some good Samaritan posted a list a while back and there are many stations missing. Examples near me are Reno (#110), Seattle (#14) and Portland (#23) which have only ABC and Fox.

I haven't been able to locate the post again. The list probably should have been added to Chris' market availability sticky.
30 out of the 52 on this list have all 4:

http://www.dbstalk.com/hr20/html/DTV_HDLIL_DMA.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
jayvista said:
Plain and simple .... OTA HD is MUCH MUCH(!) better (clarity, sync, macro-blocking, etc) than DirecTVs MPEG4 attempt at local HDs. The MPEG4 local HD from DTV seem barely high def.
To most people with average eyes they look just fine. I don't really see any problems with it comparing OTA on my H20 compared to HD locals on my H20 or HR20. Not all of us have insane eagle eye vision. For the masses, and even the technologically inclined like myself, D* MPEG4 HD locals look great.

"Barely high def" is quite laughable, to me at least.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
88 Posts
PoitNarf said:
To most people with average eyes they look just fine. I don't really see any problems with it comparing OTA on my H20 compared to HD locals on my H20 or HR20. Not all of us have insane eagle eye vision. For the masses, and even the technologically inclined like myself, D* MPEG4 HD locals look great.

"Barely high def" is quite laughable, to me at least.
I agree with you PoitNarf. There is a difference but it's not big. I too think D* HD locals look great and to say they look "barely high def" is way off.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top