DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Legend
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do network affiliates pay for their programming?

I was under the assumption that except for the WB, the network leaves available slots for local advertising for its stations and affiliates, but most of the commercial block is national advertising that the network makes money off of. In return, the network compensates the affiliates for letting the network make money for selling advertising on national shows. In some cases, there is limited compensation. But in most cases, the station affiliate does not have to pay NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX to run their shows.

I heard some national advertisers dont even bother with markets below #50. But can somebody explain better.

If an affiliate station isnt paying for their network programming, then why do they have network nonduplication protection? In Sussex County, DE I know WPVI 6 (ABC) isnt on the local system, but instead WMDT 47 (ABC) is the only ABC carried even though NBC 10 is available all throughout DE as Salisbury DMA has no NBC. But if WMDT isnt paying for their ABC, why do they have protection? To keep local TV local, I guess?

I really dont understand the purpose of network duplication rules, but I do know with Dish Network's aggressiveness towards offering distants scaring NAB people keeping them on their toes, the Networks themselves having duopolies now, and surpassing the 35% limit of station ownership, its likely something is to happen.

It doesnt make sense to me, why in some counties, the cable company is forced to carry 2 affiliates of same network affiliation, and in other counties, its a blackout game, and in other counties DBS cant even offer the local channels since significantly viewed isnt written into SHVIA.

Does a big station group like Hearst-Argyle pay NBC, or does NBC pay Hearst. I think NBC may compensate Hearst, but nobody sees their contract except really the two parties involved, but I would like to know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.