DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV, are you listening?

Why not have a DOD channel dedicated to theatrical trailers? I often watch these on HDNet, but have to catch it's not ideal. The show is of varying lengths and may or may not contain any new content. Other DOD content is shown with commercials. With trailers, the commercial is built-in.

In another thread, someone commented that there was no need to see the trailer when you can view it on the Internet. I disagree when it comes to trailers for movies in theaters. This is one of the few times I actually want to see the commercials.

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In general, I would agree for normal content. But these are commercials. People generally do not have to pay to present movie trailers, do they? A series link to Nothing but Trailers will accomplish little since the show is of varying lengths and is never marked as a repeat or a new show. Short, segmented content is a good fit for DOD. Downloading individual segments from Dirty Jobs and the like make a good example for it.

Positioned correctly, DirecTV could even make a buck or two on the deal by providing a service to the studios and viewers. Adding trailers to the Movies DOD channel would be a good fit. Licensing should not be overly complex since they are, in essence, commercials. This seems like a fairly low-cost endeavor.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
tcusta00 said:
Why not setup a SL for the show on HDNet?
Agreed. That's what we do. We have a SL for the ultimate trailer show.

We used to record "nothing but trailers", but it's a bit redundant. How many movies premier every week? 15? At 2-3 minutes per trailer, there's barely enough new movie trailers to fill a 30 minute show let alone a whole channel of trailers playing 24/7.

With that one SL to the ultimate trailer show we get to see just about every new movie trailer (and sometimes multiple versions) in HD (and one golden oldie).

· Registered
7,910 Posts
gregjones said:
In general, I would agree for normal content. But these are commercials. People generally do not have to pay to present movie trailers, do they? A series link to Nothing but Trailers will accomplish little since the show is of varying lengths and is never marked as a repeat or a new show. Short, segmented content is a good fit for DOD. Downloading individual segments from Dirty Jobs and the like make a good example for it.

Positioned correctly, DirecTV could even make a buck or two on the deal by providing a service to the studios and viewers. Adding trailers to the Movies DOD channel would be a good fit. Licensing should not be overly complex since they are, in essence, commercials. This seems like a fairly low-cost endeavor.
I see what you're saying now... I wonder how much interest there would be in something like this? Wouldn't it just be easier to fix the first run/repeat markers? Now there's something I can get behind! ;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tcusta00 said:
I see what you're saying now... I wonder how much interest there would be in something like this? Wouldn't it just be easier to fix the first run/repeat markers? Now there's something I can get behind! ;)
With the SL, you are still watching an entire show that could easily be broken in to individual pieces. If someone likes watching all trailers, the SL is a good option. But since DOD already has a number of small pieces of content that fit the same kind of model (music videos, individual show segments, etc.), movie trailers are noticeable in their absence.

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
Here's a thought - If you go to the theatre to see the movie then stands to reason it's less likely that you would purchase the same movie on PPV. Therefore they would be doing something that would ultimately decrease their own revenue.

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sirshagg said:
Here's a thought - If you go to the theatre to see the movie then stands to reason it's less likely that you would purchase the same movie on PPV. Therefore they would be doing something that would ultimately decrease their own revenue.
And yet they already have movie trailers as the ads in a number of the items on DOD. They just happen to be SD and not listed as they are the commercial filler on those items.

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
gregjones said:
And yet they already have movie trailers as the ads in a number of the items on DOD. They just happen to be SD and not listed as they are the commercial filler on those items.
But wouldn't those ads be placed there by the content provider and not DirecTv.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
I argued nearly two years ago that Showcases (now Movies Now & More) is a perfect spot for pushed trailers.

It could be done for new releases in theaters, PPV and HBO, SHO, etc. Very little space used.

It's the perfect place for them, but it's horribly underutilized.

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
RobertE said:
I argued nearly two years ago that Showcases (now Movies Now & More) is a perfect spot for pushed trailers.

It could be done for new releases in theaters, PPV and HBO, SHO, etc. Very little space used.

agreed

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Throw in a little interactive app and a phone/internet connection and they could even let you pre-order/order tickets through fandango or whatever the other one is after you watch the trailer. Could also rate the trailer. Free market research. Whats not to like. :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RobertE said:
Throw in a little interactive app and a phone/internet connection and they could even let you pre-order/order tickets through fandango or whatever the other one is after you watch the trailer. Could also rate the trailer. Free market research. Whats not to like. :)
And everyone that has DOD working already has an Internet connection...

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
Sirshagg said:
Not sure I understand what you're getting at here. I love seeing trailers, but haven't been to the theater in over 10 years.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
RobertE said:

Not underutilized anymore. I have 5 HD PPV movies sitting on each of my 3 DVRs in that space now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.