DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scanning these boards looking for deals on upgrading to the HR20 from the HR10 (and I have a couple of Series 1 Directivos, one hacked). I thought to look at the alternatives so I'd have some bargaining points with D*. But after looking at Dish, I'm wondering why I should keep D*.

Since with the HR20 I'd lose Tivo, and since it's leased, that's like Dish's 622 DVR. But Dish's can record OTA and TWO satellite inputs while you watch a recorded show; D* can't do that. The 622 outputs to a second SD TV with separate controls. Nothing like that on D*'s DVR. Switchers say the Dish has better PQ in HD.

Pricing is roughly comparable, but Dish offers many more HD channels. I'd be particularly interested in StarzHD, FoodNetworkHD, & Nat'l Geog HD; there are many other ones with some pretty cool programming, at least judging from the website. I'd lose the local ABC affiliate in HD, but I have good OTA reception so that's no biggie.

Pay per view is a wash; I don't use that much on D* either. If it were available in HD I'd go with the ATT/Dish Homezone deal, which offers movies on demand thru Yahoo and Akimbo (and you can also load music and photos and whatnot, as well as schedule programming remotely).

D* has more sports, but not sports that I follow (I'd get more on Dish's HD channels like Worldsport anyway).

I'd miss my hacked Directivo the most, but as I move to HD I find I don't use it as much as I once did. High geek factor, but now I can record HD direct to my computer OTA with my Miglia TVMini HD, and the older stuff looks like crap. Might as well look at Youtube.

So...I am I missing something? Lack of HD programming, a ho-hum set top box, and no compelling new features characterize Directv now. I've been with them a LONG time, so tell me why I oughta stay.

·
Icon
3,508 Posts
Just as listed above if you want the most HD Now go to echocrap. But just wait till 3q-4q 2007 whan D* & FiOS Are the undisputed hd leaders in tv.

·
Legend
219 Posts
I have the same problem as rob_gendreau. The question is what happens if D* doesnt get the satillites launched next year or if they launch and dont work. It will take about 4-6 months after launch for them to be active for carrying channels. Add in the fact no one knows what channels they will add in (ie the all cricket channel) and is it really worth a 2 year commitment to wait and see?

Im not advocating switching or not, because I myself have not made up my mind. These are concerns Ive voice before and no one has yet been adequtely able to aleviate them.

If you switch then you have instant gratification. If you stay with D* you have the possiblity of being in a much better situation in about a year....maybe.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,479 Posts
Elistan98 said:
If you switch then you have instant gratification. If you stay with D* you have the possiblity of being in a much better situation in about a year....maybe.
If you go with Dish Network now, you'll be committed until Spring 2008. During that time, you'll have a lot of HD available. If you choose to go back to DirecTV you should be offered all the latest equipment at new subscriber prices.

If you upgrade with DirecTV now, you'll have limited HD for almost half of your two year commitment and who knows what comes afterwards.

Sometimes you have to step away to see how good you have it.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To make the decision more complicated, turns out I apparently have a long-term contract with D* for two years; I had thought I only had a one year contract. I can't find anything I signed to that effect, although it might be somewhere.

Anyone know how much D* would charge to bail out? I know I'd have to return one of my receivers (no biggie).

Perhaps I might just go inactive, or cut back to the minimal channel selections.

Rob

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
rob_gendreau said:
Anyone know how much D* would charge to bail out? I know I'd have to return one of my receivers (no biggie).
Since that's a transaction between you and DTV, I'd guess you need to call them.

·
AllStar
93 Posts
rob_gendreau said:
To make the decision more complicated, turns out I apparently have a long-term contract with D* for two years; I had thought I only had a one year contract. I can't find anything I signed to that effect, although it might be somewhere.

Perhaps I might just go inactive, or cut back to the minimal channel selections.

Rob
I think Dtv will charge $12.50 for every month left in your contract.

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
If Dish had YES Network, I might bail out now. That was the SINGLE reason I left DISH in the first place.

How do the costs of the DISH equipment compare with that of D* equipment. DO they ALSO force you to lay out hundreds of dollars for their equipment ON TOP of a "rental" fee?

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
also consider if you keep direct for just a few channels, you have to make absolutely certain that a dish network installer knows this, otherwise he'll use the existing coax to install your dish system, rendering your direct system useless. (just to prevent you from being one of those people who calls and says.. the technician just left, and yes I signed off on the work order, but now my direct system isn't working..) (can you tell where I work?)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,479 Posts
Steveknj said:
If Dish had YES Network, I might bail out now. That was the SINGLE reason I left DISH in the first place.
And for those addicted to that channel, that's the right thing to do.
How do the costs of the DISH equipment compare with that of D* equipment. DO they ALSO force you to lay out hundreds of dollars for their equipment ON TOP of a "rental" fee?
Dish charges a drive-off fee of $199 before rebates and DirecTV charges $299 before rebates. DirecTV is slowly changing their whole fee structure in the direction of what Dish has been doing for a while now. The remaining difference is the DVR fee.

In the end, the average DirecTV subscriber pays a little over $8 more per month if I recall the Q3 report information correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.