DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have AT&T phone/dsl and Dir TV.There bundle is with Dish.I like the idea that Dish has two tuners and with this bundle the price is better.They are giving me [2 room DVR] i do not know weather they are HD or not.They also said they have 100 HD channels.I have a total of 5 TV'S I only need HD on one of them.Will Two receivers work and what # DVR's do you think i will receive? Need Help
Also what is the best Dish?

· Icon
643 Posts
You can connect many TVs to one DVR.

The question is - how many TVs will be watching different programs ?

Also number of "tuners" tells you how many different shows can be recorded at once, when they are broadcast at the same time.

The number of "outputs" tells you many different programs can be watched at once.

Again, one output can be connected to several TVs IF they are all going to be watching the same program all the time.

PS The number of receivers or DVRs "you will receive", is the number that you tell them to install.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
DirecTV and Dish have similar programming available, with the exception of several exclusve sports packages that DirecTV has.

However, the receivers are quite a bit different, so you'll want to make sure you are very specific about what you want. 75% of our AT&T-sourced orders are totally wrong, because the AT&T folks have no idea how to sell/setup Dish orders, so the more you know, the better.

Dish will lease you equipment that supports 4 independent TVs. They will do this via a pair of receivers that each has 2 independent sets of outputs. "TV1" will have the receiver next to it, and use an IR remote, while "TV2" will be connected via coax, and will use an RF remote.

The HD-DVR is the ViP722. It has 2 sat tuners and an OTA ATSC tuner, so if you have an OTA antenna, it can be connected to the 722 and the OTA programming will appear in the guide. The OTA tuner can only be directly accessed by the TV1, so TV2 can't watch something live on the OTA tuner. Both TVs share the recorded programs, though, including recordings made from the OTA tuner. The 2 satellite tuners are shared between the 2 TVs, which is different from DirecTV, where each TV has it's own dedicated pair of tuners.

Finally, on an HD receiver or DVR, only the TV1 can be in HD, as HD cannot be sent over coax to the TV2. TV2 content, if originally HD, is down-converted to SD as it is sent.

As I mentioned, Dish will lease you equipment for up to 4 TVs, with a max of 1 DVR, with no up-front lease fees. So, you could get a ViP722 2-room HD-DVR and a ViP222 2-room HD receiver (in both cases, TV2 in SD only). You can pay an up-front lease fee to upgrade the 222 to a second 722, giving all 4 TVs DVR capabilities. But here is where things are different: Dish will not lease you equipment beyond that which supports 4 TVs, nor will they pay for installation or equipment to connect additional receivers. You can have up to 12 receivers on your account, but any beyond the leased receivers must be purchased from a retailer at full price, and the customer bears all the costs to get a signal to those owned receivers, meaning any dish/LNB/switches needed. That being the case, relatively few Dish customers go beyond 4 TVs.

Last, Dish's pricing is different in a few ways. With DirecTV, if you have 4 TVs, you have 4 receivers, and pay $5 for each one beyond the first, to mirror your programming. With Dish, most configurations for 4 TVs means only 2 receivers. As long as those receivers are connected to a phone line (or for HD receivers, to the Internet), the receiver is treated like a single-room receiver, and you save $5/month per receiver.

Dish does charge a DVR fee per DVR, not per account like DirecTV. HD receivers beyond the first one cost $7/month, SD $5/month. HD equipment without HD programming costs a $7 "HD equipment" fee, only $3/month less than the base HD package at $10/month. Leased equipment can only be upgraded once per year; otherwise, you have to purchase any upgrades at retail.

Standard-Definition Receivers
311 1 tuner, 1 room
322* 2 tuner, 2 room
522/625* 2 tuner, 2 room DVR

High-Definition Receivers†
ViP 211 1 tuner, 1 room
ViP 222* 2 tuner, 2 room
ViP 612* 2 tuner, 1 room HD DVR
ViP 622/722* 2 tuner, 2 room HD DVR

*Dual-tuner receivers require constant phone line or Internet connection to avoid $5/month 2nd room fee.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are all DVR's HD? And how many HD channels does Dish have?

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
Dish has a model 625 (MPEG-2) that is a dual tuner SD DVR.

Rumors are that it is no longer in production and Dish will soon stop issuing receivers that are not MPEG-4.

WAG - Dish has about 65-70 national HD channels.

Both sat providers pad their numbers with HD regional sports networks, HD PPV and any other thing that could be remotely considered an HD channel.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
420benz said:
Are all DVR's HD? And how many HD channels does Dish have?
No, the 622 and the 722 are HDDVR's and 625 and 510 are SDDVR's although it is rumored that from now on they will be sending HDDVR's to all DVR customers regardless if they are ordering HD service or not. Just make sure that you are getting the 622 or the 722 if you want HD programming. They have around 100 HD channels, you can check the Dish website for a list to make sure they have the ones you want.

EDIT the 612 is also an HDDVR but for only one room almost forgot about that one.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
You can see how everyone is confused about how many HD channels anyone has. Best to look at the website and try to do your own count, and even that will not be accurate, because the website is not accurate either.

· Icon
324 Posts
Jim5506 said:
You can see how everyone is confused about how many HD channels anyone has. Best to look at the website and try to do your own count, an even that will not be accurate, becasue the website is not accurate either.
That's right
The website is missing some HD channels.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIP said:
DirecTV and Dish have similar programming available, with the exception of several exclusve sports packages that DirecTV has.

However, the receivers are quite a bit different, so you'll want to make sure you are very specific about what you want. 75% of our AT&T-sourced orders are totally wrong, because the AT&T folks have no idea how to sell/setup Dish orders, so the more you know, the better.

Dish will lease you equipment that supports 4 independent TVs. They will do this via a pair of receivers that each has 2 independent sets of outputs. "TV1" will have the receiver next to it, and use an IR remote, while "TV2" will be connected via coax, and will use an RF remote.

The HD-DVR is the ViP722. It has 2 sat tuners and an OTA ATSC tuner, so if you have an OTA antenna, it can be connected to the 722 and the OTA programming will appear in the guide. The OTA tuner can only be directly accessed by the TV1, so TV2 can't watch something live on the OTA tuner. Both TVs share the recorded programs, though, including recordings made from the OTA tuner. The 2 satellite tuners are shared between the 2 TVs, which is different from DirecTV, where each TV has it's own dedicated pair of tuners.

Finally, on an HD receiver or DVR, only the TV1 can be in HD, as HD cannot be sent over coax to the TV2. TV2 content, if originally HD, is down-converted to SD as it is sent.

As I mentioned, Dish will lease you equipment for up to 4 TVs, with a max of 1 DVR, with no up-front lease fees. So, you could get a ViP722 2-room HD-DVR and a ViP222 2-room HD receiver (in both cases, TV2 in SD only). You can pay an up-front lease fee to upgrade the 222 to a second 722, giving all 4 TVs DVR capabilities. But here is where things are different: Dish will not lease you equipment beyond that which supports 4 TVs, nor will they pay for installation or equipment to connect additional receivers. You can have up to 12 receivers on your account, but any beyond the leased receivers must be purchased from a retailer at full price, and the customer bears all the costs to get a signal to those owned receivers, meaning any dish/LNB/switches needed. That being the case, relatively few Dish customers go beyond 4 TVs.

Last, Dish's pricing is different in a few ways. With DirecTV, if you have 4 TVs, you have 4 receivers, and pay $5 for each one beyond the first, to mirror your programming. With Dish, most configurations for 4 TVs means only 2 receivers. As long as those receivers are connected to a phone line (or for HD receivers, to the Internet), the receiver is treated like a single-room receiver, and you save $5/month per receiver.

Dish does charge a DVR fee per DVR, not per account like DirecTV. HD receivers beyond the first one cost $7/month, SD $5/month. HD equipment without HD programming costs a $7 "HD equipment" fee, only $3/month less than the base HD package at $10/month. Leased equipment can only be upgraded once per year; otherwise, you have to purchase any upgrades at retail.

Standard-Definition Receivers
311 1 tuner, 1 room
322* 2 tuner, 2 room
522/625* 2 tuner, 2 room DVR

High-Definition Receivers†
ViP 211 1 tuner, 1 room
ViP 222* 2 tuner, 2 room
ViP 612* 2 tuner, 1 room HD DVR
ViP 622/722* 2 tuner, 2 room HD DVR

*Dual-tuner receivers require constant phone line or Internet connection to avoid $5/month 2nd room fee.
This is how it was explained to me.I will receive [2 room DVR].Two seperate DVR's.One will be an HD DVR on one connection and HD only on the other connection.The other DVR will be DiDg.on one connection and just a Didg. connection on the other side.They said that each DVR will have 2 tuners and i will be able to record 4 channels while watching 1 live.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what i would like to do.

Attachments

· Mentor
30 Posts
420benz said:
I have AT&T phone/dsl and Dir TV.There bundle is with Dish.I like the idea that Dish has two tuners and with this bundle the price is better.They are giving me [2 room DVR] i do not know weather they are HD or not.They also said they have 100 HD channels.I have a total of 5 TV'S I only need HD on one of them.Will Two receivers work and what # DVR's do you think i will receive? Need Help
Also what is the best Dish?
You say you only need HD on one TV right now. The E* two room receivers I've looked at provide output for one HD set and a Standard Definition signal to the second set. If the second room will have an old legacy set on it for the next five years, you may be happy with that solution. If you change the second set for a High Definition set next year, you would have to upgrade again if you required HD picture quality on the replacement set.

"Will receive 100 HD channels" is not the same as you will receive 100 channels in HD on all your sets. That will depend on your receivers and televisions. The second output on the two set receiver is SD, not HD. The HD is down-converted to legacy format for the second receiver. The legacy receiver could receive HD programs, but it cannot produce HD picture quality, even when you replace the set.

I don't know what you will get for equipment, but you should expect to get the lowest cost solution that meets the requirements you specified, ie support for 1 HD and four SD sets. That makes it important to define your needs for now and plan your your future needs.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crunchy said:
You say you only need HD on one TV right now. The E* two room receivers I've looked at provide output for one HD set and a Standard Definition signal to the second set. If the second room will have an old legacy set on it for the next five years, you may be happy with that solution. If you change the second set for a High Definition set next year, you would have to upgrade again if you required HD picture quality on the replacement set.

"Will receive 100 HD channels" is not the same as you will receive 100 channels in HD on all your sets. That will depend on your receivers and televisions. The second output on the two set receiver is SD, not HD. The HD is down-converted to legacy format for the second receiver. The legacy receiver could receive HD programs, but it cannot produce HD picture quality, even when you replace the set.

I don't know what you will get for equipment, but you should expect to get the lowest cost solution that meets the requirements you specified, ie support for 1 HD and four SD sets. That makes it important to define your needs for now and plan your your future needs.
Before i do anymore posting,i will call AT&T and find out exactly what they are giving me.I will repost the info.Thanks All.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.