DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about switching to DirectTV for a while now. I am not sure why other than the fact that DirectTV will be launching locals in my area soon (OKC), they have launched another sat in space with plans to bring on alot more HD soon. However, I am with Dish now and I have their GOLD HD package, which means I would have more HD channels than Direct, I have a HD DVR and right now Direct is not sending any out due to backorder. With my dish 622, I get dolby digital 5.1 and I am not sure if the Direct HD DVR has that. Also, my 622 acts as a dual tuner which allows me to watch tv in my bedroom without having ot have an additional receiver. I am not sure if Direct's does that either.

So, with that being said, can anyone give me some other reasons why I should switch?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
You have pretty much hit on all the current "differences" between the two in the HD arena.

To answer your one question, no... DirecTV receivers don't allow dual indepent tuning to control two different rooms... the DirecTV units only output one distinct video output.

Why are you considering switching to DirecTV from Dish?
Maybe that can help us, help you with any other information that you need.

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really do not have any specific reasons to switch other than just planning for the future. From everything I have read, it appears that DirectTV is ramping up for some major changes next year and so on. It does not seem that DISH is doing anything these days. Theres no word on any future local HD markets, or any new HD channels, etc. It seems as if Direct is working more and more on bringing more HD content to the country. Yes, it is nice having all the VOOM HD channels on DISH, but I only watch one of them. ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD, Discovery HD, HDNET and TNTHD are the ones that I watch the most, along with my locals that I get from the off-air antenna.

But on the flip side of that, I have heard alot about Direct's pic quality is alot worse than Dish's. I guess its a no win game between the two.

The fact is is that I have already paid for my 622 with DISH and it works fine, but I am just thinking about the future. I know that if I were to make a switch to DTV, I would probably have to fork out another $200 or so bucks for their HD-DVR, whenever it comes available. Maybe right now is not the time to switch, but I am sure that down the road, DTV will find a way to beat out DISH, and then that may be the time.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I switched from E* back to D* this summer. At that time I did not have HD, but I would rate their SD picture quality pretty much the same. Some channels are better than others.

Although I believe D* will add many HD channels in the next several months, if I already had HD from E* I would wait and see what D* does. Just my opinion, I know how it is when one starts itching for a change.

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. It's hard to leave a provider that has alot of HD content, but like I said before, it seems that DISH wont be doing much in the near future as far as HD content goes. I think I will hang loose for a bit and see what happens.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
Unless your totally dissatisfied with DISH for the most HD you need to stay where
you are.It will be at least 1 year before any improvement in HD with DirecTV.They still need to launch Sats 10&11 in 2007 for them to have the Bandwith for 150 national HD channels and 1500 HD locals.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.