DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm conflicted ..... If DTV is years away from the total MPEG 4 swap out why are so many of us rushing to buy an HR20 now ? Is it the HD w/ DVR factor ? Surely the deals will only improve with time, right ?

Not trying to be a dick .... just want to be sure it's the right thing to do before I go toe to toe with retention.

Thanks,

OUB. :)

· Banned
1,614 Posts
I wanted the HR20 to be able to record HDTV.

I think DIRECTV wanted to get it's HDTV DVR($0 - $299) out to market about the same time TiVo released it's Series3 HDTV DVR($800) to try to avoid people dropping DIRECTV service for cableTV service and the TiVo Series3 DVR.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
outerub said:
I'm conflicted ..... If DTV is years away from the total MPEG 4 swap out why are so many of us rushing to buy an HR20 now ? Is it the HD w/ DVR factor ? Surely the deals will only improve with time, right ?

Not trying to be a dick .... just want to be sure it's the right thing to do before I go toe to toe with retention.

Thanks,

HD/DVR is very nice. The ability to record 2 OTA HD channels at the same time is also very nice. If one is already tied to D*, it is the only HD DVR option. My old Sammy T-360 was beginning to get flakey. (OTA is not enabled yet, but it should be very soon)

For many of us it was free or near free. Can't beat that.

I'm very happy with mine. Only a very few and quite minor bugs (sans NFL-ST recording) in the 4 weeks I've had it.

If a person is already well situated and comfortable with what they have, I'd wait. It is very early in the developmental cycle and lots of little gremlins are showing up, not to mention some major bugs with MPEG-4/HD Locals (which I don't have so I don't share that particular set of issues.)

So, if you're willing to slug it out and enjoy the early adopter ride, go for it. If not, wait.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
outerub said:
If DTV is years away from the total MPEG 4 swap out why are so many of us rushing to buy an HR20 now ?
Years? (as in plural)

Hardley... were talking YEAR (single) here, maybe 18 months or so.
It is expected that all new national HD will be MPEG-4
And the content that is MPEG-2 new will start to be converted once the new SATs are up an operational.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Years? (as in plural)

Hardley... were talking YEAR (single) here, maybe 18 months or so.
It is expected that all new national HD will be MPEG-4
And the content that is MPEG-2 new will start to be converted once the new SATs are up an operational.
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm quite happy with my DirecTivo but I guess my real question is ... how long before it becomes a door stop ? At some point DTV will no longer support MPEG2 and/or DTivo's so I guess I'm fishing for opinions or direct evidence as to when I will have to switch over. Do we expect the deals to get better with time or will DTV have us by the nuts when the FCC driven HD time limit is reached ?

· Legend
129 Posts
Simple, I wanted to get my local channels in HD via Sat since I am too far for OTA.

· Legend
129 Posts
outerub said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm quite happy with my DirecTivo but I guess my real question is ... how long before it becomes a door stop ? At some point DTV will no longer support MPEG2 and/or DTivo's so I guess I'm fishing for opinions or direct evidence as to when I will have to switch over. Do we expect the deals to get better with time or will DTV have us by the nuts when the FCC driven HD time limit is reached ?
I would say the HR10-250 will be useful, if you are getting local HD channels OTA, until they start putting out national channels in HD that you are interested in. As Earl points out that could be sometime in the next 12 or so months.

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
outerub said:
Surely the deals will only improve with time, right ?
I got it for free. Don't expect to do better than that.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bidger said:
I got it for free. Don't expect to do better than that.
Very good point ... however I have multiple receivers in my house and was wondering about what DTV will do for me for the rest of my DVR's. I spoke to a "customer installation" rep and he said they would give me a deal on one but no more than that. Said something about $200.00 off but I think I could get them down to zero if I decide to dive in.

I've been lurking here for a while and think this is a great site. Thanks for the opinions and please ... keep them coming. It is helping me immensely ! :)

· Legend
108 Posts
glennb said:
I think DIRECTV wanted to get it's HDTV DVR($0 - $299) out to market about the same time TiVo released it's Series3 HDTV DVR($800) to try to avoid people dropping DIRECTV service for cableTV service and the TiVo Series3 DVR.
You bring up a very good point! Now I'm really wondering if D* rushed the HR20 and that's why there are so many bugs still! It should still be in beta, but D* advertises as a perfect product! :rolleyes:

When I heard about the new TiVo and cable cards (2) I was very tempted, but decided to give the HR20 a try first, little did I know...

· Godfather
260 Posts
It was the only unit available when I signed up a few weeks ago for HD. I got when I upgraded to HD this week but I just bought my HDTV 3 weeks ago. I still have my SD DirecTivo unit and plan on keeping it.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bluedogok said:
.... I still have my SD DirecTivo unit and plan on keeping it.
I guess that's really my question BDOK .... will there ever come a time when the SD boxes (DirecTivo or DTV) are obsoleted. ie: DTV no longer broadcasts anything in MPEG2 ?

· DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
outerub said:
I guess that's really my question BDOK .... will there ever come a time when the SD boxes (DirecTivo or DTV) are obsoleted. ie: DTV no longer broadcasts anything in MPEG2 ?
Eventually, but who knows how long it will take before SD TV is completly obsolete. By then, I am hoping that all programming is On-Demand and there will be no need for DVR's.

Yes - ALL PROGRAMMING! Everything. And a zillion more channels of nothing!

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of right now, the FCC site says Feb. 17, 2009 for cessation of analog terrestrial TV signals. Unless you have a digital-to-analog converter or satellite tv you won't be watching Grey's Anatomy. This leads directly into my quandry .... I have satellite tv so that's not an issue, but all of my equipment is MPEG2. Is DTV planning on continuing MPEG2 transmission of all of it's current content or, as I suspect, will all DTV content eventually go to MPEG4 (HD or SD) because it's better for DTV.

Oops .... posted this before I saw Slip Jigs post.

· Godfather
375 Posts
outerub said:

Thanks,

Plain and simple I get my MPEG-4 locals and RSN and can record them now and have been for over a month.;)

· Mentor
35 Posts
bigpuma said:
Simple, I wanted to get my local channels in HD via Sat since I am too far for OTA.
I came from Cable to D* and was not very happy that I couldn't get local channels in HD when I switched earlier this year. Anyone switching from cable and expecting less than that, might not really care for local sports team or primetime shows. This is why I'm happy with the HR20 along with it's bugs.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
SD will remain MPEG2. There are no plans to convert those to MPEG4, at least any announced. Honestly they can easy enough replace 1 million MPEG2 HD boxes with MPEG4 boxes. But to replace 25 million MPEG2 SD boxes? Yea right.

IF they even have a long term plan to convert SD to MPEG4 we're talking most likely a decade or so. By then all DirecTivo's still around will probably have died from hard drive failure as would our HR20's for that matter. :)

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bonscott87 said:
SD will remain MPEG2. There are no plans to convert those to MPEG4, at least any announced. Honestly they can easy enough replace 1 million MPEG2 HD boxes with MPEG4 boxes. But to replace 25 million MPEG2 SD boxes? Yea right.

IF they even have a long term plan to convert SD to MPEG4 we're talking most likely a decade or so. By then all DirecTivo's still around will probably have died from hard drive failure as would our HR20's for that matter. :)
That's kind-of what I was looking for Bon .... an opinion on the life of MPEG2. I guess I wasn't asking my question correctly. As of now I'm not concerned with HD, just the long term viability of my current hardware.

BTW ... Brian Johnson is good but Bon Scott will never be equaled ! Rock on ! :D

· Godfather
260 Posts
I have 3 SD boxes (2 Sony and 1 Hughes Tivo) that I plan on keeping for awhile. From what I have read they will continue the service for those with SD boxes, they will just convert the HD signal to SD for retransmission. This is true for D*, E* and cable after that date from what I have read. I think the 2009 date is only for OTA signals since the gov't wanted to auction off the spectrum, the SD retransmission over sat or cable is acceptable. I expect SD to last a long time with OTA set-top converters, sat or cable boxes as I expect SD sets to still be the majority of tv's out there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.