DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tv is 4:3 and I set my receiver to that, but I don't understand the point of it, all SD is in 4:3 anyway and HD in 16:9 and it shows that way on my tv.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
HD will appear letterboxed on a 4:3 set. That's just the way it is. Use the format button to change it so it can fill the entire screen.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, so whats the point of setting what kind of TV you have? Will something not display at all if I pick 16:9 (and I have a 4:3 tv)?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mckingsley said:
Yeah, so whats the point of setting what kind of TV you have? Will something not display at all if I pick 16:9 (and I have a 4:3 tv)?
Well for my 16:9 HDTV, if I set my HR20 to 4:3 it would not fill the entire screen for HD content. I'm not sure what happens with a 4:3 TV and the HR20 set to 16:9.

·
Banned
686 Posts
It would be impossible for us to explain it as well as you simply trying it would.
Go ahead; nothing will explode.

·
Legend
129 Posts
I have a 4:3 HDTV and this works out great. HD programs are automatically letterboxed, while SD programs fill up the whole screen. This is a big improvement over the HR10 which required me to change my TV settings when I switched between HD and SD.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
bigpuma said:
I have a 4:3 HDTV and this works out great. HD programs are automatically letterboxed, while SD programs fill up the whole screen. This is a big improvement over the HR10 which required me to change my TV settings when I switched between HD and SD.
Are you using Hdmi and do you have native mode set to on? I am curious as this is how I currently have my 4:3 HDTV set up with the HR20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.