DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Godfather
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't my local channel available in HD from D*?

Good question! It's probably because your 'local' TV channel is actually owned by a parent corporation. The more channels you own, the more leverage you can have in demanding large sums of money to be carried by a provider (D*). That or D* is trying to low-ball these companies. Either way, as a D* subscriber, you're caught in the middle. Complaining to local stations hasn't seemed to help, but maybe complaining to their parent company will get someone's attention. I've done a little research and though I'd at least provide some information on who to complain to besides D*.

So here we go:

LIN TV:

URL: http://www.lintv.com

Contact info:

401-454-2880
1 Richmond Square
Providence, RI

HD Channels Not Carried:
Albuquerque - KRQE (CBS)
Austin - KXAN (NBC)
Buffalo - WIVB (CBS)
Grand Rapids - WOOD (NBC)
Green Bay - WLUK (FOX)
Hartford - WTNH (ABC)
Indianapolis - WISH (CBS)
Providence - WPRI (CBS)
Providence - WNAC (FOX)

HD Channels Carried:
None

Montecito Broadcast Group
URL: http://montecitobroadcast.com - Seems to be down

Contact Info:
559 San Ysidro Rd # I
Montecito, CA 93108
(805) 969-9278

HD channels not carried:
Portland, OR - KOIN (CBS)

HD channels Carried
None

Weigel Broadcasting
URL: http://www.wciu.com/

Contact Info:
26 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60661
(312) 705-2600

HD channels not carried:
Milwaukee - WDJT (CBS)

HD channels Carried
None

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Using the information you provided, I sent the following email to both Fisher Communications, and Tribune.

"To whom it may concern:

I am writing to [the Tribune Broadcasting Company][Fisher Communications] in regards to the fact that [Fox][ABC] programming in my local market (Seattle/Tacoma) is not carried on DirecTV in high definition. As one customer in that market I feel that it is very important for you to realize that for whatever reasons [Fox][KOMO] is not carried in High Definition, you are losing viewers. I believe that if this situation is not corrected very soon, it will be appropriate to start contacting your advertisers to insure that they are aware their advertising dollars could be more effectively spent with broadcasters who properly support all media distributors."

I would encourage all forum members who do not have all HD channels available to send a similar correspondence.

Carl

·
Godfather
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elistan98 said:
any info about columbus oh
I should have clarified, this is only for 'the big four.' I didn't get into CW because it looks like MOST markets don't have it and it could be other issues keeping those from going up....

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Fantastic detail and research

·
Godfather
270 Posts
The New York Times Company is selling WREG (and the rest of their TV stations).

I doubt very seriously compaining to NYT will do any good.

Paul

P.S. Good post though! :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
As far as Tribune goes, I could swear that they own a large chunk of major affilates in the CW Network. You think maybe they are trying to gain carriage of the CW feeds as well as the four FOX feeds listed above? After all, I think the Philly CW is owned by CBS, and is available.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I want CBS 58(MILWAUKEE WI) in HD now!
Thanks for the info about who to contact!
The local HD page milwaukeehdtv.org in its forum has the following quote from a manager from the local channel's office:

At this time it does not appear that DirecTv has an interest in our HD programming.

Jim Hall
General Manager
WDJT-TV A CBS Affiliate
WMLW - Means Milwaukee
WYTU & Telemundo Wisconsin

This is one of the most out of touch with reality statements I have ever heard. We in Milwaukee went through this when D first started with locals in STD DEF. Now history is repeating itself.

It really amazes me that a station would not try to work to provide its programming to the residents of that city.

I challenge MR. HALL to get this impasse resolved ASAP. (LSU V UT IS IN ONE WEEK and I want to watch in HD from the satellite.

The local feed usually breaks up in the afternoon and it is unrealiable.

Thanks for letting me rant
Dr. Thomas A. Garland
Milwaukee, WI

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
bonscott87 said:
The CW in many market is just a digital subchannel like it is in my market. In other words the only way you'll get it is via OTA or maybe (and a big maybe) cable.
OK. But I think what I am saying is misunderstood.

Tribune's four FOX channels aren't available in HD; the ones listed in the first post. These would be these FOX stations:

Seattle - KCPQ (FOX)
Sacramento - KTXL (FOX)
Hartford - WTIC (FOX)
Indianapolis - WXIN (FOX)

So, Tribune is still a major player in broadcasting. Tribune also owns these CW affiliates (unless noted in parentheses), and the market ranks are the first number:

1. New York City WPIX
2. Los Angeles KTLA
3. Chicago WGN
4. Philadelphia WPHL (MyNetworkTV affiliate)
6. Dallas - Fort Worth KDAF
7. Boston, MA WLVI
8. Washington, D.C. WDCW
10. Houston KHCW
14. Tacoma - Seattle KMYQ (MyNetworkTV affiliate)
16. Miami - Fort Lauderdale WSFL
18. Denver KWGN
21. St. Louis KPLR
23. Portland, OR KRCW
25. Indianapolis, IN WTTV
27. San Diego KSWB
28. Hartford - New Haven, CT WTXX
39. Grand Rapids WXMI 17 (Fox affiliate, could be why Grand Rapids is missing)
41. York-Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon, PA WPMT 43 1997 Fox
54. New Orleans WGNO (ABC affiliate)
54. New Orleans WNOL
56. Albany-Troy, NY WCWN

Tribune wants not only the four affiliates from the original list, they also want the list of 21 affiliates I just provided up and available to subscribers. After all, if DirecTV can see their way to have the CW available in Philadelphia (owned by CBS) and the MyNetworkTV available in the DC area (owned by FOX), then why wouldn't Tribune want all of their properties up and available to subscribers?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
I wonder if someone could do some research on the ownership of the stations in the upcoming markets so we could get ahead of the curve in making sure all the networks are covered?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Newshawk said:
I wonder if someone could do some research on the ownership of the stations in the upcoming markets so we could get ahead of the curve in making sure all the networks are covered?
DMA #42 Norfolk/Newport News, Va.

3 (CBS) WTKR----New York Times Company.

10 (NBC) WAVY---LIN Broadcasting

13 (ABC) WVEC---Belo Corporation.

15 (Ind) WHRO---Hampton Roads Educational Telecommunications Association

27 (CW) WGNT---CBS Corp.

33 (MNT) WTVZ---Sinclair Broadcast Group.

43 (FOX) WVBT---LIN Broadcasting

49 (PAX) i-TV--- ION Media Networks

·
Godfather
268 Posts
LINs web site is down...I want to send them a note about WLFI Lafayette In CBS and ask why all their other properties can be on DBS but not that one...

·
Godfather
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LIN's site is back up.

Once the new HD channels go online, I'll update my post with new information for them (but I want to see who is and is not added). Also, if any of this info changes, please let me know. I'd hate to keep one of these 'fine' companies on the wall of shame incorrectly.... :D

·
Godfather
359 Posts
noneroy said:
LIN's site is back up.

Once the new HD channels go online, I'll update my post with new information for them (but I want to see who is and is not added). Also, if any of this info changes, please let me know. I'd hate to keep one of these 'fine' companies on the wall of shame incorrectly.... :D
KVBC (Sunbelt) has been added to Las Vegas HD locals.

·
Icon
869 Posts

·
Godfather
314 Posts
Regarding Capitol Broadcasting Corp in Raleigh, I've contacted them a number of times regarding this and I always get the same, pre-canned answer:

WRAL, WRAZ, and DirecTV are still in negotiations to allow DirecTV to
distribute the WRAL and WRAZ HD programming streams. The current
stumbling block is that we want every viewer in our entire 22-county
television market to be able to see our HD signals. Unfortunately,
DirecTV has offered to distribute the HD signals to only about 75% of
the market. That is unacceptable to us since the FCC has licensed our
station to serve the entire market -- not 75% of it.

We will continue to negotiate in good faith with DirecTV and hope for a
speedy resolution. DirecTV says it is launching new satellites that
will help alleviate this problem in coming months, and we look forward
to this technical resolution becoming a reality. We appreciate your
patience.

Best regards,
John Harris
WRAL
One time, I responded with this:
As I'm sure you are aware, currently you are serving 0% of the market instead of the 75% that you say is unacceptable.....
To which they responded again with...
We're providing a stunningly beautiful HD picture to thousands of people via Time Warner and those with over-the-air receivers.. DirecTV is the problem in this equation…
In other words, CBS is blaming Directv and Directv is blaming CBC.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
I live in the Sherman, TX/Ada-Ok viewing area. Dish Network carries my local channels but *thanks* to the court order by the judge ABC is going to be gone because there's no ABC locally - only through Distant Networks.

Directtv I can get ABC out of NY or LA but I can't get locals. I'd have to go back to an antennae. The reception for an antennae is horrible. Who do I need to talk to about juat adding regular local progamming from my area to Directtv or where can I find a list of plain and simple local DMA markets being added?

If they added them I'd switch over in a heart beat.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
1 - 20 of 304 Posts