DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone regret missing the window last night?? Isn't it going to go national soon?? Why would DTV just open a window ever so slightly?? Don't they have intentions of releasing it soon??
Frank

·
Legend
228 Posts
franco said:
Does everyone regret missing the window last night?? Isn't it going to go national soon?? Why would DTV just open a window ever so slightly?? Don't they have intentions of releasing it soon??
Frank
I think it's safe to say D*, while hoping for the best that their code can deliver, determined that the mob (bearing torches and pitchforks after the perceived 'slight' of not getting 108) could be an asset to pre-test a release candidate. Indeed, after the limited release, the mob is pacified and nary a flame in sight.

If I'm a betting man, I'd say we would see more of these sneak peaks in the future. Its a win-win.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
I would have regretted missing the window for two reasons: 1) I wanted to repay Directv for the window opening by running my series of tests in my test lab and 2) I'm going out of town for week and wanted to have 0x108 on my units to see if this one time I could leave and have things record while I'm gone. (Twice previously I've locked up on my first day away and recorded nothing.)

So I'm very glad I was able to run my tests and very glad they all have worked!
Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
216 Posts
I don't regret it, but I think it is strange that D* would do it. Especially considering they made it clear through Earl that if it screwed up it was not their problem and didn't want to hear about it. Very strange way to conduct business IMO.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
ouijal said:
I don't regret it, but I think it is strange that D* would do it. Especially considering they made it clear through Earl that if it screwed up it was not their problem and didn't want to hear about it. Very strange way to conduct business IMO.
There is nothing strange about how this was done. It's typical of any beta test performed by any company.

·
Legend
216 Posts
Jeremy W said:
There is nothing strange about how this was done. It's typical of any beta test performed by any company.
Well, I work in the software industry and I have never done a beta test to a random group of people and then told them not to bother me if something went wrong. The whole point of beta testing is to get feedback. I guess they can monitor this forum and seewhat people think but that is hardly collecting beta testing information in any sort of precise and formulated manner.

Looks like someone did Earl a favor more than anything which is fine and dandy. But still a little outside of the norm.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
ouijal said:
Well, I work in the software industry and I have never done a beta test to a random group of people and then told them not to bother me if something went wrong. The whole point of beta testing is to get feedback. I guess they can monitor this forum and seewhat people think but that is hardly collecting beta testing information in any sort of precise and formulated manner.

Looks like someone did Earl a favor more than anything which is fine and dandy. But still a little outside of the norm.
While I've never run into this variation on a limited release to users where the "assistance and feedback" were by a community effort and privately owned website, it has been quite common to see companies say "don't call the normal support lines, call the special beta line instead."

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
ouijal said:
Well, I work in the software industry and I have never done a beta test to a random group of people and then told them not to bother me if something went wrong.
The only way we can "bother" DirecTV is by calling them. The CSRs are not trained to handle this special situation, so calling them would be a waste of everyone's time. This forum is the feedback mechanism for the beta, I don't see what's so strange about it.

·
Legend
216 Posts
Jeremy W said:
The only way we can "bother" DirecTV is by calling them. The CSRs are not trained to handle this special situation, so calling them would be a waste of everyone's time. This forum is the feedback mechanism for the beta, I don't see what's so strange about it.
Since when? Stated by Directv where? All I saw was:

If you do attempt to get 0x108; then you assume all the risks with the software version.

I can not stress it enough: If you force download 0x108, DO NOT CALL the call center if you are having problems. Come back here, and report the problem. And if it is to the point that you can "live" with it, do another forced update to revert back to 0xFA.

Random posts in a forum is not beta testing feedback.

Look I am not ripping on the release window last night, I am just not convinced it is any sort of beta test by D*. If D* did consider it an expansion of their beta test, then that explains why the HR20 is in the state that it is in.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Sort of obvious don't you think..... It's generally the CSR lotto on the phone to get them to be qualified for anything but a system reset:hurah:

·
Legend
216 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Are you kidding me? How do you think Microsoft collects feedback for their betas?
Not in the least. When you beta test you collect usage and system information from the people you beta test and provide them with standardized ways of sending that information in along with any problems they might have.

Aside from that, I saw no posting from Earl or any D* rep saying this was a beta test. To me it looked like "hey if you wanna take a chance here ya go good luck but dont bother us with the problems you might have". Which like I said is cool by me, in fact I would respect that more than if they actually considered it part of a formalized beta testing plan.

·
Legend
216 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Are you kidding me? How do you think Microsoft collects feedback for their betas?
I work closely with Microsoft actually and have worked within their beta system.

Microsoft provides mechanisms within their betas to provide feedback directly with them over issues. Plus your system configuration is provided to them in detail as well to help them troubleshoot. You can even open beta tickets directly with them and discuss them in detail until they are resolved.

You certainly can opt out of providing feedback on MS Beta software, but that is the user's choice not MS's preference. That is a long cry from COME AND GET IT PS DONT BOTHER US .

·
Legend
216 Posts
Jeremy W said:
You're right, we're all just throwing around the phrase "beta test" because it's the most accurate way to describe what's going on.
Heh. Understood. I would feel better about that phrase being used if D* had an actual presence within what is going on and not just some backdoor wink wink deal through Earl.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
ouijal said:
I would feel better about that phrase being used if D* had an actual presence within what is going on and not just some backdoor wink wink deal through Earl.
I agree completely. A more formal way of running actual beta tests would be great. But considering how far we've come, I am very thankful for what we have now. DirecTV is actually reading this forum and considering what we post. That's something that people can't even say about their beloved Tivo.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
ouijal said:

Would you rather get swamped at D* with all these calls and reports that have come back from the 0x108 or swamp up the servers here and have a broader scope of feedback. I think there's people signed up from across the US on this thing and I think they planned it well and I hope they'll plan it again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.