DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say it but the new HR-20 is starting to affect my marriage. I have been forced to move my HR10 into the bedroom for my wife to use. She is upset that the FF/RR is so hard to use and really misses dual buffers.

I am going to wait until the NFL season is over then make a decision on whether or not to switch to the TIVO S3 and cable.

In all honesty, I expected to hate the HR20 because I was so used to the HR10. The fact is, if they resolve the open issues and add Dual Buffers, I will happily retire the HR10.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
All these posts about irate wives over something as trivial as TV is really making me reconsider marriage later in my life :lol:

·
Legend
127 Posts
My wife is not preggers or anything, and is doing surprizingly well. She just looks at me with daggers in her eyes everytime flakey happens. I just keep saying "Dont worry Honey, they will fix it soon" My credibility is wearing pretty thin.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
PoitNarf said:
All these posts about irate wives over something as trivial as TV is really making me reconsider marriage later in my life :lol:
It's not about TV, grasshopper, it's about change for no apparent reason (to wives, at least). And it's about change that is extremely annoying, because something that once worked now doesn't.

Plus, if TV is so trivial (and there's no doubt it truly is, for many people), how come you spend so much time on the forum communicating about it (in the form of the HR20, which is, after all, really about watching TV)?

Yes, grasshopper, I'd stay away from marriage if you can't understand how so very annoyed and disgusted women can get over change gone bad, especially when it relates to technology.:)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Mine isn't even installed yet, but I've been laying the ground work daily about the expected issues she may have to face. I keep reminding her we're the "beta testers". She still hasn't asked the question, "Then why are we buying it?", so keeping fingers crossed.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Amen, brother!

I went from the preceeding weeks of "I'm going to miss that little TiVo guy" to "I really hate that I can't fast forward through my shows!"

I've told her more than once to call 1-800-DirecTV as I have no control over the problem.

Way to go -- do I get some kind of account credit for this too DTV?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
When I brought my first Series 1 TiVo home way back in '00, my wife thought it was some new fangled electronic gadget I got. Then she started using it. Soon we had dual tuner DirecTiVo's. Then one on every TV she watched.

So I can only imagine the [email protected]#$ that would hit the fan if I replaced a TiVo with something that did not work nearly as reliabley.

Hence "MY" HR20 sits on top of the HR10 which records all our shows like it has for almost 2 1/2 years. I use the HR20 when I need a third tuner (ie both HR10 tuners are recording something and the wife is watching the upstairs HR10).

The HR10's will be part of the family for a long time.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Herdfan said:
When I brought my first Series 1 TiVo home way back in '00, my wife thought it was some new fangled electronic gadget I got. Then she started using it. Soon we had dual tuner DirecTiVo's. Then one on every TV she watched.

So I can only imagine the [email protected]#$ that would hit the fan if I replaced a TiVo with something that did not work nearly as reliabley.

Hence "MY" HR20 sits on top of the HR10 which records all our shows like it has for almost 2 1/2 years. I use the HR20 when I need a third tuner (ie both HR10 tuners are recording something and the wife is watching the upstairs HR10).

The HR10's will be part of the family for a long time.
Another amen to that! But we're using R10s (not HR10) because I never took the plunge for HD recording until the HR20. I just use the HR20 for my own personal machine, and use an H20 with the bedroom HD plasma for the occasional sports viewing.

In fact, I bought two backup R10s in case ours break. We have "Tivos on call," so to speak.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
If a marriage ends over the HR20, the couple had bigger issues.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
sigma1914 said:
If a marriage ends over the HR20, the couple had bigger issues.
You think so?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
66 Posts
It should be mandatory that the development team and all upper management at DirecTV have as their wives only means of watching TV an HR20 - so they can share the pain.

·
Banned
231 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Let me tell you its no joke! My wife is great, but the SH*! hit the fan last night when she found out her favorite show did not record again - for no good reason. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
AllStar
92 Posts
My HR20 has worked out great for me, esp in regard to the wife and daughter.

I had an SD Tivo in my living room hooked up to my 42" Plasma, thus the girls were watching Oprah, Phil, Dog Wisperer, etc on my high end rig.

When I got the HR20 a couple of weeks ago the Tivo was moved into my master bedroom, and I've conveniently forgotten to instruct them on how to program the HR20, as they are perfectly happy with the Tivo on a 32" TV .

The tuner on the older Tivo is a lot better than the low end Hughes that I had as far as PQ, and it also has an optical out for audio that I use now.

I have only used the HR20 sparringly, using it to record the baseball games on FOX with no apparent issues.

The PQ on the HR20 is better than my alternate reciever on the Plasma, a Samsung 360.

Eddie

·
Banned
231 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Ouch...

Hang in there buddy! :D
Ok - I HAVE TO ASK - what does PoitNarf stand for????

After reading 1012 post by you in 45 days I'm curious!!! :)

Also - do you ever sleep? You're here 24-7. Do you hire people to post in your stead while you sleep? :)

I'm just having some fun at your expense - no hard feelings! :eek2: :D

·
Legend
146 Posts
redbirdruss said:
I should add that my wife is 7 months pregnant and not as rational as usual.
You mean women can be rational????????????????

We didn't get Heroes last night due to a partial freeze-up, but luckily my wife understood - at least I THINK that carving knife was due to be sharpened anyway!!!!!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
tstarn said:
Plus, if TV is so trivial (and there's no doubt it truly is, for many people), how come you spend so much time on the forum communicating about it (in the form of the HR20, which is, after all, really about watching TV)?
I just have too much time to waste at work recently and the other forums I frequent aren't nearly as active as this one.

WANDERER said:
Ok - I HAVE TO ASK - what does PoitNarf stand for????

After reading 1012 post by you in 45 days I'm curious!!! :)
Poit and Narf are 2 words used by Pinky from the cartoon Pinky and the Brain.

·
Banned
231 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I just have too much time to waste at work recently and the other forums I frequent aren't nearly as active as this one.

Poit and Narf are 2 words used by Pinky from the cartoon Pinky and the Brain.
OOOOOHHHHHHH YEAH, Ok that sheds a whole new light on things! Gotchya!

·
Legend
130 Posts
Life is too short to rely on the HR20 for any "mission critical" recordings (esp. with the newer 0xD8 and 0xDC firmware revs). Ever since I started getting lockups and weird behavior with 0xD8, I moved the old Sony T-60 DTivo back into the living room and have it running alongside the HR20. The HR20 is still the "primary" DVR, but yesterday when it mysteriously didn't record my wife's soaps, I was glad I still had them recording on the T60. Took 2 minutes to tell her over the phone how to switch the TV and A/V receiver over to the T60 and she was happy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.