DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 224 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
harsh for give me let me explain please around where I live their are a bunch of verizon routers which do not work in less you change ip address from v6 to v4 in the router my question is I want to change in the tv my username/password. will it remember the v4 ip address ?
The IP default LAN IP address of the router as well as the default user and password are detailed in the router's user guide (and maybe on the router's product label).

Unless your TV has a web browser (it is uncommon to have a fully functional web browser in a TV), you won't be able to use it to configure your router.

Configuring the IP addressing protocol (IPv4 .vs. IPv6) of the TV usually isn't necessary but if it is possible, it will be detailed in the TV user's manual. We're not here to read your manuals to you.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
harsh can I just change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv ?
Wi-fi doesn't use user names; it uses only passwords. The Wi-Fi password that the TV uses can be changed using the TV's menus. For instructions on how to do that, you'll need to consult the TV's user manual/guide.

You need to be crystal clear about what device it is that you're trying to change the configuration of (the TV, the router or something else). If you aren't, you get answers like the one that P Smith gave suggesting that what you're trying to do is impossible when it most certainly isn't impossible.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Considering the level of confusion I believe sportman9 is referring to the SSID as the username. There is no use in chastising him over using the wrong term. These sort of conversations require a lot of "translation" and patience.

Starting from the top: It appears that sportman9 has Verizon as an ISP and was having issues. Verizon sent sportman9 a new router and (according to sportman9) it "barely" works. It appears to work for posting to our site unless sportman9 is using cell phone service or some other connection.

sportman9, the best solution is to seek professional help. If Verizon has access to your router (beyond being able to see it connected to their network) they will be able to help you access the router through a computer or may be able to change settings remotely. Since Verizon provided the router I would hold them responsible for completing the set up and providing technical support.

Once Verizon has helped you complete the setup of your router they will provide you with the "SSID" and a password for your home. This would be the information that you would enter in to any wireless device (computer, streamer, TVs) that you want to connect to your Internet service. Most devices will search for available SSIDs and present a list - make sure you choose the SSID that Verizon has provided to you. (You will probably see multiple devices that belong to neighbors unless your home is separated from them by enough distance. Choose YOUR device, not a neighbors.) Once you have chosen the correct SSID from the list you can enter the password.

Some business wireless setups do authenticate using username and password after selecting the SSID. If you are getting a "username" prompt after selecting an SSID then either you are selecting the wrong SSID or your router is misconfigured. Again, seek professional help.

(And yes, harsh, the WiFi network setup at my workplace does prompt for username and password. Although company owned equipment uses the domain login credentials entered on the computer so the login is transparent on most devices. People who try to connect their personal equipment see the username and password prompt since their device is not recognized by the domain. Most home devices would be configured with authentication that does not require a "username".)

FYI: I can see three neighbors on my SSID list. If the houses were closer I'd see more. I suspect my neighbors can see my SSIDs including a business SSID being transmitted by a secure remote access gateway connected to my workplace. A connection that prompts for a username and password after selecting that SSID.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Considering the level of confusion I believe sportman9 is referring to the SSID as the username.
That's a pretty broad assumption. My TV presents me with a list of SSIDs to connect to. Unless the SSID is hidden (a vanshingly uncommon default in home networking gear), there's no reason to enter it manually.

Authentication at the Wi-fi connection level is only able to support passwords. Equating SSIDs with user names doesn't make sense as "user name" implies something unique to each user and that's clearly not the case with an SSID. It is an all too common dumbing down that should not be perpetuated.

Any system that demands a user name is likely not using Wi-fi level authentication at all. This is common an "open" Wi-fi environment that uses an arguably (arguable because companies such as CISCO are surprisingly careless about security) more secure domain or router login instead (Wi-fi security only logs the MAC address, not the person is using it).

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Read my post ... "considering the level of confusion". This is not the time to pretend to be the smartest person in the world, this is the time to communicate on a level that can be understood by the target listener.

Centralized username/password is more secure than a shared password network. The administrators can prevent a user or device from accessing anything on the network without changing a shared password or knowing what MAC address the user might try next (including spoofed addresses). Not something many people have experience working with but username is a prompt people see in the rare cases that one comes across a network secured using that authentication. Included "just in case" sportman9 is actually seeing a username prompt, not an SSID prompt. (There are some systems that prompt for the SSID instead of or along side providing a list found SSIDs ... it comes in handy for hidden SSIDs.)

Hopefully sportman9 is seeking professional help from Verizon (his ISP).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Read my post ... "considering the level of confusion".
Verizon's instructions for connecting to their Wi-fi is pretty straightforward:
  1. Enable Wi-fi on the device you're trying to connect
  2. Choose the appropriate network from the available choices
  3. Enter the password for the network
There is another FAQ entry that speaks to how to discover the SSID and default password -- some of which I covered previously.

It would appear that they use the same process that most consumer routers use so introduction of enterprise style authentication schemes and hiding SSIDs was surely confusing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
harsh when version came out to install the wifi router he said give me any username and password to put in the wifi on my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV. he said I can change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv at any time I want to change just the username can I ?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
he said I can change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv at any time I want to change just the username can I ?
You don't "change" the SSID. You just choose it like the TV manual says. Enter in the password you were given and you're good to go.

If you don't see the SSID that the technician gave you, he gave you the wrong information.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
harsh want to change SSID which I think I meant username see below not password in the wifi on my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV. he said I can change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv at any time I want to change just the username can I ?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
You can't "change" the SSID. You can only pick one from the list. One of the networks should be the same as the "username" that the technician gave you (probably at the top of the list). This is step two that I spoke of in post #48.
Gps navigation device Screenshot Font Automotive tire Gadget

Step 3 is to enter the password that the technician gave you (as I noted in post #48).
Mobile phone Communication Device Gadget Telephony Space bar

You must not get hung up about the terms "username" and "password" as Samsung doesn't use those words. They use "Select a Network" and "Security Key" in place of SSID and password.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
harsh or James Long thanks .for being patience.with me when version came out to install the wifi router the first time he said give me any username and password to put in the wifi on my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV I guess it was the SSID ?. he said I can change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv at any time when I got my new wifi router he used my old username and password from the old router I want to change just the username not the password in my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV can I ?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Just for info...what is the name of the username that you want to change? Asking to see if what you are calling a username may actually be the name of a wireless SSID.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Where you change it is the key ... to take effect you would need to change it on the Verzion router and then change the TV (and any other wireless devices) to match. Unless the name is changed on the router (which cannot be done from the TV) changing the TV is not going to help.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
And to change it on the router you would have a different username and password to log into the router so that you can change it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
James Long and b4pjoe when version came out to install the wifi router the first time Where he change it is the key you said he changed it in Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED said give me any username and password to put in the wifi on my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV he said I can change the wifi username on the samsung smart tv at any time when I got my new wifi router he used my old username and password from the old router I want to change just the username not the password in my Samsung Q80B 65" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart QLED TV can I ?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I'm afraid you misunderstood what he way saying. The router has an administrator user name and password used for administration of the router settings. You access the router either via a web browser or an app on your phone/tablet. Most routers have two wifi SSID's (service set identifier which in theory is the username). One for 2.4 GHz (slower but better distance) and one for 5 GHz (faster but less distance). If you want to change the SSID name you will have to login via one of the methods I said earlier. In your TV you don't have a user name. In your wifi settings in the TV it will show you a list of SSID's to pick from. Depending on how close your neighbors are you might see several you don't know what they are and can't connect to since you don't know their password. From that list you need to pick your own router's SSID. Either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz. If your TV doesn't support 5GHz you won't see it in the list. If your TV is close to your router you should probably pick the 5 GHz if it is in the list. Once you pick one it will ask you for the password or pass phrase or security key...whatever your TV calls it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
username I want to change is sportman13 which is the name verizon told me to make one up said I can change at any time
Gps navigation device Screenshot Font Automotive tire Tire

You don't need to change anything. Just choose sportman13.

When asked for the Security Key, enter in the password you were given.

41 - 60 of 224 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.