DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this problem before however my weekly "ration" of Wifi CCK's is very meager. I was on an MRV upgrade and installing the Wifi CCK as part of the job. Everything was going fine until I attempted to enter the customers security key. I entered the key "Zamboni552" (hockey nut) after correctly selecting the SSID of the customers router and the router repeatedly rejected the key. To make sure the passkey was valid I connected to his network on my smartphone. It would not work after several attempts. I have never had this issue.
Any ideas?
 

· Save the Clock Tower!!
Joined
·
2,288 Posts
hombresoto said:
I have not seen this problem before however my weekly "ration" of Wifi CCK's is very meager. I was on an MRV upgrade and installing the Wifi CCK as part of the job. Everything was going fine until I attempted to enter the customers security key. I entered the key "Zamboni552" (hockey nut) after correctly selecting the SSID of the customers router and the router repeatedly rejected the key. To make sure the passkey was valid I connected to his network on my smartphone. It would not work after several attempts. I have never had this issue.
Any ideas?
Are there any special characters in the SSID? (apostrophe, or the like)
 

· Legend
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. My HTC Evo connected to his network just fine. My first thought was the customer gave me the wrong password but that was not the case. No special characters. Router 25' away. Customer did not want cable run through a room (couldn't blame him) or to pay for custom fishing (what else is new).
 

· Legend
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely appreciate the help and suggestions! I think there may be a bug with the upper and lower case configuring via the IRD. I will login to the CCK next time. The customer ended up with a wired BBDeca.
 

· The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
veryoldschool said:
This has both upper & lower case, which may be the problem.
The CCK has a GUI where you can enter upper & lower case, as I think the receiver only does upper case.
Ethernet to the CCK and try: 169.254.34.156
Then use admin for the login and PW
If that address doesn't work, hardwire the CCK to the router temporarily and search the router's DHCP table for "decaw". Then use that address.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
835 Posts
I had one do the same thing, just would not accept the pass code although anything else would, laptop, phone, wii everything connected with the code, just not the wcck

rebooted the router several times

i was going to change the pass code on the router, but the customer's password to log into the router didn't work either, so not sure what to do if they dont know their password.
 

· DaBears
Joined
·
5,992 Posts
Jodean said:
I had one do the same thing, just would not accept the pass code although anything else would, laptop, phone, wii everything connected with the code, just not the wcck

rebooted the router several times

i was going to change the pass code on the router, but the customer's password to log into the router didn't work either, so not sure what to do if they dont know their password.
There's a hard reset button on every router or you could just plug the cck into the router directly as VoS stated.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
What security modes does the wireless CCK support? New Cisco routers are defaulting to WPA2. If the router is set to WPA2 but the CCK is set to WPA (or WEP) you'd see exactly the described behavior.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
542 Posts
Early models of the cck had a problem where you had to reset the cck (use a toothpick and hold down the reset button for 15 seconds), then reset defaults on the IRD, and then red reset button the ird.

When it comes back up try again and it would work.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
Titan25 said:
What security modes does the wireless CCK support? New Cisco routers are defaulting to WPA2. If the router is set to WPA2 but the CCK is set to WPA (or WEP) you'd see exactly the described behavior.
Nothing should be limited to WEP or WPA anymore. Everything recent handles WPA2. Heck, WEP isn't even considered security anymore.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
88 Posts
Today a tech arrived to troubleshoot a bad powerline adapter and the he replaced it with a CCK. The CCK would connect via no security and wep, however when I set my router to WPA,, we couldn't connect WPA even with the passcode as 12345678 and the ssid as netgear. It also would not connect by using WPS either. That is when I let the tech leave. I knew this would take a while to figure out and he had 6 service call after mine and it was already noon.

Then I tried WPA2, changing the router and programming the CCK manually and it would not connect. I even configured the CCK though my computer with not luck. Thanks DBS forums for that information! I had a Netgear WNR834b circa 2006 which supports WPA/WPA2 which I was using to connect our laptop and cell phones. I bought a new Netgear N600 (WNDR3800) at Microcenter and it connected to the CCK without an issue on WPA2. I did manually program the CCK through my computer only because my WPA2 passcode is very long.

Here is what I think is the issue. Just because the router will connect wirelessly to devices (cell phone, laptop) via WPA/WPA2, doesn't mean it is capable of handling a bridge (CCK) at WPA or better encryption. Consequently, the answer may not be what the customer wants to hear but an upgraded router may fix the issue.

I would try to connect via no security and then WEP, if both work and WPA/WPA2 does not. I bet this is the issue.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top