DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
I just spoke with an E* CSR the other day. She could not quote specific prices just yet, however she said that it should be very competitive to cable modem and DSL rates. In other words broadband via satellite - it's not just for rural customers anymore. She also hinted that the speed will be better than anything cable can offer.

Also they are waiting on eventually having a one-bill for all in the near future (today you would get a seperate bill from WildBlue).

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
Michael P said:
I just spoke with an E* CSR the other day. She could not quote specific prices just yet, however she said that it should be very competitive to cable modem and DSL rates. In other words broadband via satellite - it's not just for rural customers anymore. She also hinted that the speed will be better than anything cable can offer.

Also they are waiting on eventually having a one-bill for all in the near future (today you would get a seperate bill from WildBlue).
Just curious. Did Charlie sell his stake in Starband?

Whats different about WildBlue? The signal still goes up 22.000 miles up & back. I'll read all the complaints. Better than cable? I doubt it....

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
Paul Secic said:
Just curious. Did Charlie sell his stake in Starband?

Whats different about WildBlue? The signal still goes up 22.000 miles up & back. I'll read all the complaints. Better than cable? I doubt it....
I wouldn't want my internet signal going out when it rains. I think this option is good though for people in rural areas that can't get DSL or cable service for internet.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
From what my supervisor was telling me, there is limited bandwidth in each Spotbeam. Once filled, they will temporarily close out new installs untill either some free up or they can launch another satellite. The prices are a little better than dway but you still have to pay the $299 startup costs. I think the intro level is about DSL speeds for $49. They go up from there based on bandwidth requirements. The Northeast Spotbeam 29 covers NY to Maine--in fact there's only a week left in the window to signup apparently.

My supervisor is trying to get certified to install them and the nearest location is Illinois at a cost of $99 so he's not sure if its even worth it since they don't show what an install pays out.

·
Legend
184 Posts
nismo said:
From what my supervisor was telling me, there is limited bandwidth in each Spotbeam. Once filled, they will temporarily close out new installs untill either some free up or they can launch another satellite. The prices are a little better than dway but you still have to pay the $299 startup costs. I think the intro level is about DSL speeds for $49. They go up from there based on bandwidth requirements. The Northeast Spotbeam 29 covers NY to Maine--in fact there's only a week left in the window to signup apparently.

My supervisor is trying to get certified to install them and the nearest location is Illinois at a cost of $99 so he's not sure if its even worth it since they don't show what an install pays out.
Wildblue has their own satellite going up in a month or so. They are at capacity now on some of the beams from rented satellite space.I've had WB for 5+ months now and it works fine for me. If you want WB I suggest you get it from a coop if at all possible. The NRTC coops have their own tech help system and it's tons better than the WB tech help system. If your cosidering WB remember this THE INSTALL IS CRITICAL! It must be done to WB spec and done right!. The NRTC coops have special prices on equipment and sometimes no install charge also.
I have no financial interest in WB of any kind.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
If one were to go w/ WB & E* bundle completely what is going to happen to the phone line hook up to receiver. The only reason I even have a phone line is my DSL. If E* call in doesn't work w/ VOIP will it work w/ WB?

·
Godfather
367 Posts
whatchel1 said:
If one were to go w/ WB & E* bundle completely what is going to happen to the phone line hook up to receiver. The only reason I even have a phone line is my DSL. If E* call in doesn't work w/ VOIP will it work w/ WB?
If you have DSL, it would be foolish to go with Wildblue anyway.. Wildblue is only good as an alternative to Dial Up. It should never replace DSL or even cable. Just not stable enough.. It is a great product for what it does. And for th rural area it was designed to serve.. But not a replacement for dsl..

·
Legend
192 Posts
While satellite broadband is attractive in areas where other options aren't available, I just can't imagine trying to deal with an interactive SSH session via satellite.

Granted, I'm the exception rather than the rule (I have an SSH session open right now to a server at work), so it might take off, since most "Internet" use is "web" use.

·
Godfather
367 Posts
oldave said:
While satellite broadband is attractive in areas where other options aren't available, I just can't imagine trying to deal with an interactive SSH session via satellite.

Granted, I'm the exception rather than the rule (I have an SSH session open right now to a server at work), so it might take off, since most "Internet" use is "web" use.
It has taken off. You just have to imagine your life in an area where your only option is dial up.. Most of you have other options and that is great. But I live in an area which will probably never be serviced by dsl or cable or anything else for that matter. And I am happy to get my broadband anyway I can. And so far Wildblue has delivered all that it promised.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
bruin95 said:
I SERIOUSLY doubt that. I get 10 Mbps from my local cable co for $39 a month. They're not going to beat that. No way.
That's pretty darned good! Just out of curiosity, how do you know you're getting 10 megabits per second with your cable connection? Was this your measured speed through BroadbandReports.com or ?

·
Icon
625 Posts
For what it's worth...............I have had Wild Blue since the first of the year. The ONLY reason I still have it is I live in an area where you use a dish or phone lines, the cable will never get to our house. Wild Blue is having MAJOR problems in certian areas, they are over sold. They claim they are launching a new satellite late this year. IF you get Wild Blue don't expect to be faster the 1.8 megs on the download side and 250 on the up. Those are the best numbers I have ever gotte from them.

p.s. their service has been so bad latley they have given me 2 months free service...................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.