Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0xFF = 255 will this be the final, is this as high as hex can go?:confused:

0xEF = 239 current update as of 11/15/2006.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The system will support uptil a 4 character hex code

So up to FFFF

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jkc120 said:
Let's just hope they don't need 65536 builds to get it right. :)
Even if they did...

It would take: 184 years... if there is a build a day; 30 years if there where 5 builds ever day of the year... :D

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Even if they did...

It would take: 184 years... if there is a build a day; 30 years if there where 5 builds ever day of the year... :D
Sure the HR20 should last that long... especially if you payed full price of $749 each.:lol:

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Even if they did...

:lol: well, they clearly need to hire 184x the engineers so they can burn through these release cycles faster :) j/k, I'm looking forward to seeing if 0xEF fixes some of the problems. At least it sounds promising from the trick play features added/enhanced.

·
Godfather
300 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Sure the HR20 should last that long... especially if you payed full price of $749 each.:lol:
$749.00 Who the heck paid that, I thought it was only 299.00 retail.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
flipper2006 said:
$749.00 Who the heck paid that, I thought it was only 299.00 retail.
If you paid $299, then you lease it from DirecTV. Leased equipment must be returned if you cancel or deactivate the receiver. If you paid DirecTV $749. then you own it, and if you cancel you keep it, and can reactivate later or sell it. I purchased both my HR20's for $749, and have the service plan to exchange them if they become defective for free, and yes the exchanged units I will own if that is ever necessary.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Nothing says that they couldn't just start counting over again, like pretend the prior versions really didn't exist (I'm sure they'd like to forget about some of them);)

·
Icon
777 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
If you paid $299, then you lease it from DirecTV. Leased equipment must be returned if you cancel or deactivate the receiver. If you paid DirecTV $749. then you own it, and if you cancel you keep it, and can reactivate later or sell it. I purchased both my HR20's for $749, and have the service plan to exchange them if they become defective for free, and yes the exchanged units I will own if that is ever necessary.
No offense, but wouldn't getting them for $299 and not having to pay the service plan be a better deal? The leased units will be replaced if necessary. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep them after they cancel DTV service. Sure you can sell them on eBay, but I doubt you'd get any buyers for any more than $299 since subs can get them for $299 (or less - free even) from DTV.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dervari said:
No offense, but wouldn't getting them for $299 and not having to pay the service plan be a better deal? The leased units will be replaced if necessary. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep them after they cancel DTV service. Sure you can sell them on eBay, but I doubt you'd get any buyers for any more than $299 since subs can get them for $299 (or less - free even) from DTV.
Buying it outright waives any additional 2 year commitment. And I think that leased units after 90 days will cost $99 to exchange etc. I'm not sure on that however. That's the advantage of having the service plan. The service plan also covers switches, and realignment of your dish if you get hit with a big storm, and other services.

·
Legend
181 Posts
Each month of commitment that you cancel costs $12.50 so even canceling after 1 month will only cost $300. An owned HR20 is useless with no D* subscription, though you may be able to ebay it on. So why purchase?

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew_J_M said:
Each month of commitment that you cancel costs $12.50 so even canceling after 1 month will only cost $300. An owned HR20 is useless with no D* subscription, though you may be able to ebay it on. So why purchase?
No commitment applies to owned equipment. So if you want to try a competitor, you can, and always come back later. My point was that your not bound by the 2 year commitment added when you lease advanced equipment.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
And I think that leased units after 90 days will cost $99 to exchange etc.
Wait just a minute! :mad:

You're telling me in another month or so, if there are still software issues, we are going to have to PAY D* $99 just to get a replacement (which is the only option the tier 1 techs will give)?

They better fix these problems ASAP then, because if they think I'm paying $100 to get a "new" unit that will have the same problems, they can suck an egg.

·
Icon
545 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
No commitment applies to owned equipment. So if you want to try a competitor, you can, and always come back later. My point was that your not bound by the 2 year commitment added when you lease advanced equipment.
So, you invested $1498 so you wouldn't be commited for 2 years?

Don't take this personal cybr, maybe you should be commited!!:lol:

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jkc120 said:
Wait just a minute! :mad:

You're telling me in another month or so, if there are still software issues, we are going to have to PAY D* $99 just to get a replacement (which is the only option the tier 1 techs will give)?

They better fix these problems ASAP then, because if they think I'm paying $100 to get a "new" unit that will have the same problems, they can suck an egg.
I don't want to make you angry, but you are only covered for 90 days on leased equipment without service plan.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
iceman2a said:
So, you invested $1498 so you wouldn't be commited for 2 years?

Don't take this personal cybr, maybe you should be commited!!:lol:
For me it works just fine, but I respect your opinion. In the end I will make out with all the credits I'm getting monthly off my bill.

Just do your homework and find out what works for you... leasing is a good option... I'm not arguing that point.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I don't want to make you angry, but you are only covered for 90 days on leased equipment without service plan.
That assumes the hardware is actually broken. I think the general consensus on this board is that the problems are software related.

Sorry, but I will NOT pay $99 to get a replacement that will wind up failing the same way as the unit being replaced. Since when is D* leasing things like cars that require tuneups and maintenance that's out-of-pocket?

Earl - can you comment on this? I think this will royally piss off anyone who's having problems right now, since if you call a CSR, their advice consists of:

1. red reset
2. failing that, format
3. failing that, replace unit

So if we're still having the lockups and partial recordings a month from now, D* is going to essentially charge us $99 to send us a refurbished piece of equipment, when this is a software thing? So those people that have gone through 3-4 HR20's would be another $300-400 deep if this were January instead?

Sigh...

·
Icon
545 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
For me it works just fine, but I respect your opinion. In the end I will make out with all the credits I'm getting monthly off my bill.

Just do your homework and find out what work for you... leasing is a good option... I'm not arguing that point.
You're right, if it works for you fine!
At first the lease thing urked me, but when I looked in the closet and saw 2 sony sat b2's and an old rca that's bigger than the HR20 with no DVR, and the only thing I could do with them was through them in the trash, I said why not. But I still wasn't going to pay $299 for the right to lease it!
So a 2yr commitment for a free HR20 works for me!

But had I paid $1498 for 2 of these, in the state they're in now, I'd be on my way to EL SEGUNDO to see somebody about it! ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.