DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thing says gain 15 db, etc. but I think it may need an additional amp to do the job. So far no signal from anything I connect to it. I don't understand the gain aspect or if this should be able to send video or antenna signal very far.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Mac

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
How good is the signal that you're feeding to the amp? 15dB should be plenty assuming that there's a signal to work with in the first place.

Is the green LED lit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late reply harsh. Not sure how strong the signal from my antenna was. Sent a Winegard LNA-100 back b/c it wouldn't stay powered. Flaky. Tested that and it was fine for a short distance, when it worked.

But the CommScope? No idea. I don't know how to convert what I can measure w/ my MM to db. But the LED will be green/lit.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Not sure how strong the signal from my antenna was. Sent a Winegard LNA-100 back b/c it wouldn't stay powered.
The radio people like using dB because it turns most of the math into addition and subtraction but dB is a logarithmic measure of gain or loss rather than signal strength. If you're using modern RG6 cabling, distance is not really a concern for OTA unless you have a powered antenna or a pre-amp where electrical current (ampacity) comes into play. If you're cable runs are broken up with a lot of couplers or splitters, this can also sap signal.

If you have a hot signal coming in, you may be over-driving it with an amplifier so it is important to know where you're at before adding a DA (Distribution Amp). Further, amplifiers amplify noise as well so the signal going in needs to be as free as possible from unwanted signals. I'd try using splitters first and see how many splits you can make before the signal becomes unusable rather than jumping directly to a DA. This is a poor-man's measure of signal strength.

How many tuners are involved in your setup? Make sure to count multi-tuner devices as multiple tuners. My antenna alone would drive about four tuners but I had to add an amp to go any further.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies for the late reply harsh. Not receiving email alerts. I'm using coax and guess I need to replace the CommScope. Coax runs go all over a 1900' house but I don't know if I should try an amp & then a DA or what. It seems 15 db should work for only 4 needed output ports though.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Apologies for the late reply harsh. Not receiving email alerts. I'm using coax and guess I need to replace the CommScope. Coax runs go all over a 1900' house but I don't know if I should try an amp & then a DA or what. It seems 15 db should work for only 4 needed output ports though.
The updated software made e-mail alerts something you have to beat out of the system. You need to "unfollow" and then "follow with e-mail alerts" to get that functionality back.

Before you replace anything, you need to figure out what you're starting with in terms of signal. It is entirely possible that all of your coax and connections are fine and replacing them would be a waste of money and time. If there are any screw-on connectors or mangled crimp connections, those need to be replaced but chances are pretty good that the cable is OK unless it is physically falling apart.

If you've already acquired the cable and fittings, I'd lay it "overland" (make each length a little longer than the run that it will replace) and see if that changes anything.

Have you done a tuner count yet? The entire process depends on it.

·
Dad
6,598 Posts
Are you doing OTA or Cable or Sat?

Assuming OTA....Try this, at closest point to the antenna where you have a RG6 signal port to that TV, connect only the antenna cable to the TV. Scan for channels. Do you receive most of the channels you expect? If not, you need to fix this before using any AMP. If so, your TV should show signal strength. Find a channel with say 50-75% signal. Stay on that channel.

Remove RG6 connector. Put AMP in between RG6 and TV. Power up the Amp. Now what does the signal strength show. Is it more than you showed without it? Thats a very basic test. If it was 50%, you should have jumped up quite a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies, I just wanted to update anyone still interested. Had no luck but on a lark I plugged in 6 ports and used those endcap things on 2 more and voila: Got all 64 channels from the CommScope down to the closest tv.

Unfortunately it lost the one (ABC) channel we really wanted. Also only a few close channels to the other 2 tv's. A Wineguard LNA-200 seemed to help but it's power was flunky so sent that back. Now I'm hoping a replacement will not over amp the signal to the Commscope & possibly help the other 2 tv's.

Thanks again.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Apologies, I just wanted to update anyone still interested. Had no luck but on a lark I plugged in 6 ports and used those endcap things on 2 more and voila: Got all 64 channels from the CommScope down to the closest tv.

Unfortunately it lost the one (ABC) channel we really wanted. Also only a few close channels to the other 2 tv's.
It sounds like there's a reasonable signal on at least one port of the DA so that mostly answers the question about how the signal is at the end of the downlead. Something doesn't sound right about the DA outputs. There shouldn't be that much disparity between the TVs unless some of the cables are VERY long (>75-100' each), poorly assembled or somehow compromised (i.e. crushed or having severe bends). The signal coming out of each port should be pretty much identical if the DA is working properly and properly terminated RG6 shouldn't be seriously attenuated over reasonable distances.

Are these "end cap things" 75 ohm dummy loads or are they just weather covers? A dummy load has one end of a resister soldered into the cap and the other lead of the resistor goes into the female F connector of the DA or splitter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harsh, thanks for the reply. The one additional tv is definitely over 75' and the other is probably that long. The caps are from those DirecTV WVBR0-25s & appear to be simple endcaps.

Thinking of trying another preamp as well as an amp for the longer runs. Try each or both and see. I should be able to source some dummy load caps. Wondering if I use more of them will that help the signal on 2-3 ports?

Thanks for the feedback. Got my hands full w/work, a bad golfcart and side jobs but I should be able to get amps w/in a week I hope.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Harsh, thanks for the reply. The one additional tv is definitely over 75' and the other is probably that long.
That's why it is important to fully set the stage when presenting your problem. Not a life story, just the relevant details.
The caps are from those DirecTV WVBR0-25s & appear to be simple endcaps.
Those are simply weather caps and won't accomplish what is needed: impedance matching. You need to use a true dummy load.
Thinking of trying another preamp as well as an amp for the longer runs.
Since your nearby TV is happy, a preamp isn't necessary and if it isn't necessary, you shouldn't use one. Amplifiers insert their own noise into the mix and amplifying that noise often results in a net loss. Money spent on a good non-amplified antenna is often better invested than a whole chain of amplifiers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure why we lost the one station but I'll try re-aiming the antenna. If I can't get the few stations we want to the other tv's I could switch to Youtube streaming but we'd lose 2 sports channels mum likes. I'll see if the dummy caps help.

Thanks again harsh (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts