DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I will be getting my upgrade to HD, 2-722's and a 1000.2 dish. My question is this, with the weak 129 bird if you lose signal does the 722 automatically look for the SD version of a HD channel or can you select the SD version if the HD is having issues? I can't miss my Vikings on Monday Night Football (that would suck and the wife would KILL ME)

Thanks from West Central Minnesota

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
Yes. Both the SD and HD channels remain available in your program guide.

· Godfather
445 Posts
If you can you should stick with 61.5. I get great reception on that bird.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken Green said:
Yes. Both the SD and HD channels remain available in your program guide.
Thanks all, I tried to get them to put up a wing dish to 61.5 but they said there would be extra cost involved. Hopefully my locals will be up soon, (they have been uplinked since April at 61.5) then they said they would come out and put up a 1000.4 dish if needed.

Will the reciever switch between SD and HD automatically during recording? Or if you start recording in HD and lose the sat you're out of luck til HD is back.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just found out my new cables from Monoprice will be late, do the 722's come with any cables or should I run out and buy some cheap ones for a couple days?

· Mentor
45 Posts
bbeanpin said:
Just found out my new cables from Monoprice will be late, do the 722's come with any cables or should I run out and buy some cheap ones for a couple days?
It comes with composite (video/L/R) cables and *I believe* S-Video, so if you can live with that then you'll be ok.

· Hall Of Fame
2,423 Posts
bbeanpin said:
Will the reciever switch between SD and HD automatically during recording? Or if you start recording in HD and lose the sat you're out of luck til HD is back.
To the first question: no, and the second: yes.

· Icon
695 Posts
With the 722, you have 3 tuners. Set all three to record the game at the same time. TV1 to get the HD channel version, TV2 to get the SD version, and the OTA tuner to record your local broadcast.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
bbeanpin said:
You'll likely pay at least 7 times the price for a cable locally whether that be a HDMI cable or component cables.

If you have a Harbor Freight (a division of People's Republic of China, Inc.) outlet in your area, they sell HDMI cables for a a little over twice what monoprice charges.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
jkane said:
With the 722, you have 3 tuners. Set all three to record the game at the same time. TV1 to get the HD channel version, TV2 to get the SD version, and the OTA tuner to record your local broadcast.
That's a poor characterization. The ViP722 can record three live HD feeds at once. The TV or tuner used doesn't change that.

· Legend
336 Posts
I always had a problem with 129 being too weak and it losing the signal constantly, when I had a wing dish installed so that I could pickup my locals at 61.5 my 722 would automatically switch to the 61.5 dish when 129 dropped out. You could tell visibly by the screen when it would do it and know that it had and would stay there until you turned it off and back on.

Now my 211 would not switch and would just suffer through the drop out or switch to the SD signal to watch.

I complained enough to Dish and they set out a tech who removed the 1000.2 dish and replaced it with a 500. Now I have 2 500 dishes one for 110 & 119 and one for 61.5 and I am a very happy camper…129 shouldn’t even be an option IMO.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
bbeanpin said:
Doesn't come with HDMI or Component. :nono2:

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
bbeanpin said:
On Saturday I will be getting my upgrade to HD, 2-722's and a 1000.2 dish. My question is this, with the weak 129 bird
Maybe convince the tech to give you a wing dish or put 110/119 and 61.5 rather then a 1000.2

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all,
I will just make do with the cables in the box or whatever I have around the house , its only 2 days and the 50" plasma in the living room will be hooked up with HDMI so it's just the 32" LCD in the master bedroom that will suffer.

I think I will try to get the tech to aim my current dish500 to 61.5, then if I have trouble I will just buy the switches I need to add that dish to the 1000.2 and hope my locals stay at 61.5

· Mentor
31 Posts
bbeanpin said:
On Saturday I will be getting my upgrade to HD, 2-722's and a 1000.2 dish. My question is this, with the weak 129 bird if you lose signal does the 722 automatically look for the SD version of a HD channel or can you select the SD version if the HD is having issues? I can't miss my Vikings on Monday Night Football (that would suck and the wife would KILL ME)

Thanks from West Central Minnesota
I've had the 1000.2 for a few weeks in eastern MN. I'm getting about 35-45 as far as signal strength goes for 129. The only time I've had it drop out is during fairly heavy rain, that would be the only time I worry about it. As long as the installer aims it properly you should be fine. Otherwise it sounds like getting a 1000.4 might be a better option pointed at the eastern arc if your not too far west, then 129 wouldn't be an issue at all. :)

8 Posts
Hello,
I'm in northern Minnesota and just bought the VIP 722 and the 1000.2 dish.
My question is the signal for 129 is so low 30 is best I can get. Can I just put up a single dish and point to the 61.5 or 77 or 72.7 Sats ? The 61.5 theres a big tree that blocks signal but 77 and 72.7 there is open sky. To reciever those 2 Sats I dont adjust the skew right it stays straight the LNB'S ?
Any help would be great on this. Thank you very much.

pbsman

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the upgrade didn't happen an Saturday. The installer calleded and said he was overbooked but since there was no new wire runs needed he would do it "slam bam thank you mam" if I wanted, I said I will wait to get it right. So now it is set for Monday after 3PM if he can get to me, if it gets to late I might just call and reschedual for later in the week as I can't miss my Vikings on MNF at 6PM and really I am not in any real hurry as maybe they will anounce the Fargo locals on Mondays Charlie Chat.

But a new question, once my 501 and 508 are removed from my account will I still have the ability to watch the stuff on the DVR's when not connected to a SAT line?

Thanks Again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.