DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I have an H21 in my office and am using the DECA with an Ethernet switch to get a wired connection for my laptop dock. If I upgrade to a Genie and a C31 will I still be able to use the same coax to get internet off the CCK and have the C31 connect to the Genie? Thanks

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Yes, that should work. DIRECTV does not support using a DECA for anything but their own equipment of course.

·
Legend
371 Posts
"StephenJC" said:
I ask because I have an H21 in my office and am using the DECA with an Ethernet switch to get a wired connection for my laptop dock. If I upgrade to a Genie and a C31 will I still be able to use the same coax to get internet off the CCK and have the C31 connect to the Genie? Thanks
Yes it should work. I do that in my living room to send ethernet to a switch that goes to a ps3, airport express, etc. I have a splitter where one side goes to the c31 and the other goes to the DECA for the wired ethernet. It works like a charm for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
I guess we need to clarify here. If you are talking about a receiver DECA, like what is currently hooked up to your H21, no you can't hook that up to the same coax as a C31. Receiver DECAs have a bandstop filter built in that would block the DECA signal from getting to the C31. Not to mention the C31 can't power the receiver DECA, so it wouldn't work either unless you hooked a power supply up to it somehow.

If you are talking about a wireless CCK, then yes you can do it. The Wireless CCK has a splitter built into it, one side of the splitter is used for the DECA circuitry, and the other side of the splitter goes out to the coax port so you can run it to your DirecTV receiver. The Wireless CCK also has it's own power supply so it doesn't need a receiver to supply it with power to function.

If you are doing what I think you are doing then you need to get a Wireless CCK. To hook everything up you would take the coax cable that currently plugs into your H21's DECA adatper and hook it up directly to the Wireless CCK's coax input. You would then hook another coax cable up from the wireless CCK's coax output and hook that up to the C31. Then you would run an ethernet cable from the Wireless CCK to your ethernet switch, or directly to the laptop dock if that is the only item you want on the network.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
StephenJC said:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the DECA would prevent the C31 from communicating with the Genie.
If this is what you have:

It won't crossover the the C31.

You'll need a CCK like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...W-Wireless-DECA-Cinema-Connection-Kit-(CCK-W)

Of use a splitter to feed both the C31 and a DECA with one like this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DECABB1R0&d=DIRECTV-Cinema-Connection-Kit-(DECABB1R0)

or

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DCAPR0-01&d=DIRECTV-Cinema-Connection-Kit-(DECABB1R0)

·
Legend
371 Posts
Beerstalker said:
I guess we need to clarify here. If you are talking about a receiver DECA, like what is currently hooked up to your H21, no you can't hook that up to the same coax as a C31. Receiver DECAs have a bandstop filter built in that would block the DECA signal from getting to the C31. Not to mention the C31 can't power the receiver DECA, so it wouldn't work either unless you hooked a power supply up to it somehow...
What I suggested does work, and well! You take a DTV approved splitter, with one of its outputs going to a BB DECA (the white one in the picture from VOS) with the other end of it with a power inserter and ethernet cable to your switch to give that internet/home network access for the laptop. The other output of the splitter would go directly to the C31. :)

PS - It's basically VOS's picture but you replace the DirecTV DVR with a standard BB DECA power inserter and a splitter to get the signal to the C31.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
harperhometheater said:
What I suggested does work, and well! You take a DTV approved splitter, with one of its outputs going to a BB DECA (the white one in the picture from VOS) with the other end of it with a power inserter and ethernet cable to your switch to give that internet/home network access for the laptop. The other output of the splitter would go directly to the C31. :)
That would be the third link above.
If you already have the white DECA, then you only need a PI, splitter, and a couple of short coax.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
harperhometheater said:
Yes, but I'm saying that the white one works as well and is what "I" use and it works very well, from experience.
DECA is DECA basically.
I've been using them since the beginning when the "CCK" was a white DECA and a 21 volt PI because they hadn't yet come out with the 18 volt PI.
White/black, with PI or not, the only one different is the wireless CCK, as it comes with an internal 2-way splitter.

·
Legend
371 Posts
Agreed, and I didn't say it wasn't. I was ONLY giving him my scenario and what works for ME, so there was never any clarification on anyone's part needed, as was done above. All that had to be done was someone else giving THEIR scenario and opinion, right? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.