DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Godfather
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Lubbock, TX. Population 200,000. Dish has been carrying locals for about 2 years. Will D* ever add anymore cities or is it all about HD now?

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
During DirecTV's last earnings call, which was about one month ago, the management team mentioned they will add another 12 cities in HD and another 30 cities in SD. I assume some of the bandwidth will be coming from the DirecTV 9S satellite launched earlier this year.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
I forgot...

I do have to question which markets DirecTV is talking about. There have been a couple of people that were able to get confirmation from their local station engineers, so two of the 30 markets are Lafayette, IN, and Wheeling/Steubenville, WV/OH.

Both of those markets appear to be smaller markets that have room on the spot-beam transponders for Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. I expect that DirecTV will be adding similar smaller markets where there is room on the spot-beams.

Which means I don't foresee Lubbock, as there isn't any spot-beam transponders that are available in range of Lubbock.

· Godfather
385 Posts
What about locals that already get the SD? In Harrisburg, there are one or two OTAs that broadcast in SD that we don't get. Now, they are religious channels, but I was curious if there is a process that D* goes through to add more SD locals to the lineup.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
As far as I know, all locals have been launched in SD in Harrisburg. The last one was the religious station out of Red Lion, WGCB.

If there are any missing, they are the "lesser" locals, and must be full-power to request must-carry during the next election cycle, which would mean it wouldn't be until 2009 that any missing locals would show up. That is, unless DirecTV is playing nice.

· Godfather
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe they would add Lubbock and Amarillo at the same time plus surrounding areas. Amarillo is 120 miles north and doesn't have any locals either. I would guess there would be 400,000+ people in the area all of which are currently getting locals from Dish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.