DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Yes... When comparing OTA and MPEG-4 here in Chicago (via the H20)...

There is only a marginal difference.
As the MPEG-4 Codec improve, and the encoding equipment improves.

And hopefully one day, the MPEG-4 encoders have direct feeds from the un-compressed source (instead of using the already compressed once MPEG-2 feeds), you will see even more improvement.

· Godfather
410 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And hopefully one day, the MPEG-4 encoders have direct feeds from the un-compressed source (instead of using the already compressed once MPEG-2 feeds), you will see even more improvement.
This is the exact thing I look forward to seeing. I would love to also see it happen with the National HD Channels.

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Gmaxx said:
Will we ever see the day when Directv's HD or any sat/cable provider's locals will be as clean and uncompressed as OTA locals?
In my humble opinion, it is not really a fair comparison. The OTA broadcasters have the luxury of only providing a single data stream through a sufficient pipe to carry it.
The sat and cable providers have to battle the demand for more 'HD Programming' and the desire for better HD Quality with limited existing bandwidth and huge price tags of adding more.
Keep an eye on FiOS. The fibre optic providers are the ones that will have the clear advantage as uncompressed, true HD quality on all channels becomes the market demand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.