DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if D11 could make the range for Locals larger for cities like Memphis, the city where I live close to, but can't receive locals!?! Directv currently carries those channels in Trumann, which is only 15 miles from me, but I'm thinking it's because I live in a DMA of my own, that being Jonesboro? This sucks because I live between two DMAs and can't get either one? Memphis to the south, and Cape Girardeau to the North.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,800 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with the size of the spot beams and everything to do with the DMA designations. If Jonesboro is its own DMA, then that's the only DMA DirecTV could provide for you.

But, D11 may ultimately carry your locals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,911 Posts
I agree with say-what. The spot beams are likely a lot larger than you think. Check out the spotbeam map for your area:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/dtv4s.gif

While it's probably a little old I don't think it's changed. You are well within the spotbeam. Like say-what said, you may end up with locals later this summer when the new satellite is turned on.

Good luck. You can try OTA in the meantime.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tcusta00 said:
I agree with say-what. The spot beams are likely a lot larger than you think. Check out the spotbeam map for your area:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/dtv4s.gif

While it's probably a little old I don't think it's changed. You are well within the spotbeam. Like say-what said, you may end up with locals later this summer when the new satellite is turned on.

Good luck. You can try OTA in the meantime.
According to that map I'm in the Memphis Spotbeam already, that's why I don't understand why I can't get Memphis Locals? Like I said in the earlier post, Jonesboro is it's own DMA, but all they have here is an ABC, PBS, and a VTN(Religious Channel), why would Directv use up space on a Satellite to just carry those three channels? Thanks for your responses, bye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,911 Posts
Exactly my point! It's not up to DirecTV - you already have physical ability to receive those locals by virtue of being within the spotbeam. DMA rules say that you can only get certain locals. Then there's the argument of "adjacent" locals, whereby you should be able to get the locals in the market next to you if it's considered "significantly viewed."

Long story short, call your Congressman. :D
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
528 Posts
DMA assignment has to do with zip code and county, not geographical location. In some instances it makes no sense whatsoever, but those are the rules. As for "moving", that's a blatant violation of the customer agreement.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
489 Posts
tcusta00 said:
I agree with say-what. The spot beams are likely a lot larger than you think. Check out the spotbeam map for your area:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/dtv4s.gif

While it's probably a little old I don't think it's changed. You are well within the spotbeam. Like say-what said, you may end up with locals later this summer when the new satellite is turned on.

Good luck. You can try OTA in the meantime.
Based on the map it seems that my little DMA has spotbeam coverage.

With this coverage the only thing that would stop DMA 159 from having locals is LRF's, D* wanting to/being able to carry us, and the local stations making the deal.
Is this correct?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
Brian Hanasky said:
Based on the map it seems that my little DMA has spotbeam coverage.

With this coverage the only thing that would stop DMA 159 from having locals is LRF's, D* wanting to/being able to carry us, and the local stations making the deal.
Is this correct?
I wouldn't read too much into "that map". Based on the transponders, it's the old analog Ku beams. Other maps, have shown them to be much larger.
The Ka SATs use a phased array system that is much different and can be adjusted "on the fly", where the older Ku were designed [tweaked] before launch.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
106 Posts
Brian Hanasky said:
With this coverage the only thing that would stop DMA 159 from having locals is LRF's, D* wanting to/being able to carry us, and the local stations making the deal.
Is this correct?
Not quite. D* cannot legally provide you with another DMA's channels. This is per FCC rules.

The only way for D* to legally do this is for you to go to each of your lcoal affiliates and request a waiver to allow D* to provide you with a different affiliate's feed from a different market. You actually have to get a legally binding release form from the local affiliate.

Some people have had success with this, but I think more often than not the waivers are denied.

In the case where there is no local affiliate, sometimes D* can provide the nearby channels if they can normally be picked up over the air (OTA) at the residence in question, but even that is a crapshoot. Some folks live in areas where they can pick up a strong signal from an adjacent market, but because of the way the FCC rules work D* cannot provide the adjacent market's signals.

Basically, to the original poster, this is not a question of signal. Your dish is picking up the data for the channels you want. This is an FCC rules question. D* cannot flip the software flag inside your receiver to allow those channels to be viewed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
mikep554 said:
Not quite. D* cannot legally provide you with another DMA's channels. This is per FCC rules.

The only way for D* to legally do this is for you to go to each of your lcoal affiliates and request a waiver to allow D* to provide you with a different affiliate's feed from a different market. You actually have to get a legally binding release form from the local affiliate.

Some people have had success with this, but I think more often than not the waivers are denied.

In the case where there is no local affiliate, sometimes D* can provide the nearby channels if they can normally be picked up over the air (OTA) at the residence in question, but even that is a crapshoot. Some folks live in areas where they can pick up a strong signal from an adjacent market, but because of the way the FCC rules work D* cannot provide the adjacent market's signals.

Basically, to the original poster, this is not a question of signal. Your dish is picking up the data for the channels you want. This is an FCC rules question. D* cannot flip the software flag inside your receiver to allow those channels to be viewed.
This may give some more info: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top