DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No sure if anyone else caught this blurb from the below link.

The device will have new, advanced features, such as video on demand, online gaming and the ability to display digital images and play digital audio files.
Ability to play digital audio files??? Anyone have any more info on this! I'm wondering how this fits into a home network?

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956384.html?tag=fd_top

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Probably a future feature. Since it would be questionable how to get the MP3 on the device. All related to the future use of the USB to NIC connection.

· Icon
622 Posts
>> the ability to display digital images and play digital audio files.

The 4k series of ReplayTV units can display image files, which are transfered to the unit via and ethernet connection.

I assume the Series2 units handle this the same way, except via a USB connection. I wonder if a USB/ethernet adapter will work to allow a series2 unit to be attached to a network, rather than just directly to a PC?

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Theory is that USB to Ethernet will allow use of internet for Guide updates and SW updates. Hopeful that USB Ethernet can connect to DSL/Cable Modem router (and that would be easiest) as just a DHCP configured TCPIP would be easiest to implement. So that assumes that there is capability for TiVo to be Workgroup server. But that dosen't mean that it won't be intentionally handicapped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.