DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 HR10-250's.. Since Jacksonville has been anounced for MPEG 4 HD locals (although not live yet), will Directv automatically upgrade me to HR20-700's and an AT9 dish? If not, if I get HR20's from Best Buy, will they at least install the AT9/slimline before the locals are lit up?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
"Automatically"... not yet, not at this point.

If you want the new MPEG-4 Locals, you will need to call and request the update.

You can try to work out an arrangement with DirecTV, with regards to purchasing at Best Buy and getting the Dish from them

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Tim,

Just a word of advice from someone who has been there before. I had D* upgrade me to a HR20-700 and a new dish in advance of them adding HD locals. At the time they had announced the locals for my area in August and my install was in early September. At the time I thought no big deal I’m sure they are just a tad behind in adding my locals. Now it appears that I’m looking at least 2007 before my locals in HD are added and frankly it may be even longer who knows.

Some things your should be aware of:

1. If/when they add your locals it will not be all four networks. I believe D* hasn’t added a single DMA yet that has all four of the big locals active. Most just get 2 stations.
2. If you’re thinking no problem I’ll just pick up the other locals that D* doesn’t add via OTA be aware that the HR20-700 currently doesn’t do OTA. People will quickly tell you it’s coming anyday now but remember OTA has supposedly been around the corner since the day I started reading these boards back in August and it’s still not here. I’m not saying it won’t come but just remember, D* has been promising me my locals in HD since August and it ain’t happening. The same could easily happen with OTA.
3. If you gamble on OTA being added in the near future, remember that the HR20 was released with a lot of bugs. I believe they have now released SIX public firmwares. That’s one buggy box. So, there will be bugs with the release of OTA as well. To D* credit they are releasing firmware dates at a pretty good clip to resolve issues.
4. PLEASE don’t buy an HR20 from Best Buy. I believe they are still priced at $399. I paid $0 with 5 free months of HD programming, a free install and waived $19.95 service fee. After being considerably late for an install appointment I had them add 4 months of showtime for free. If you were to buy 2 of those boxes from Best Buy you’d be out $800 when you can certainly get one if not both for free. If you are a customer with D* and not under contract this shouldn’t be a problem if your willing to make a 2 year commitment.
5. Currently the HR20 contains numerous issues. Native ON causes issues, HDMI still has issues, Search function is buggy, possible issues when using auto-record feature, still struggles with Sport package programs although greatly improved, randomly canceling recordings and recently quite of few users report lock ups. However, I must add that D* seems to be aggressive in stamping out these bugs. But be forewarned it takes patience.

Good luck in your choices but if it were me, I’d wait until the locals are a sure thing and then revisit the boards (both here and at your local DMA AVS forum) before switching to the HR20’s.

·
I am Iron Man!
1,672 Posts
crockett said:
1. If/when they add your locals it will not be all four networks. I believe D* hasn't added a single DMA yet that has all four of the big locals active. Most just get 2 stations.
I believe this is incorrect. I get CBS, NBC, ABC & FOX on my HR20 through the Dtv dish.

So I am curious what information you have that will make me believe I am not getting what I am getting. And if I am indeed getting all 4, how is it you can say what you are saying like it is some authority or something.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
I'm in the Denver market and D* did call to upgrade my old receiver to an MPEG-4 unit, an H20 at the time. They called a month or so after the Denver locals were in HD. BTW, my new D* units have worked well and I have been happy with them. I would call D* to see if they can install your unit before the rush in Jacksonville. You probably get a good deal through them and have a unit (HR20) that is not perfect, but getting closer with every upgrade.

BTW I also get ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX in HD

·
Legend
191 Posts
I have it on reasonably good authority that D* has already made agreements with all 4 in the Albuquerqe/Santa Fe marktet. The backbone is already in place and just waiting for d* to throw the switch.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
It is important to note that not all HR20 users are having issues.. no doubt some are, but not every HR20 has every issue mentioned. Type of user (power user or something less), install parameters and other factors seem to make a difference.

I love my HR20.. it does what I want it to do when I want it done so far. My wife even likes it and that is saying a lot. The frequency of updates suggests that DirecTV is listening to the user base and are committed to improving the box. Try and get that from Dish.. you just won't.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
cbearnm said:
I have it on reasonably good authority that D* has already made agreements with all 4 in the Albuquerqe/Santa Fe marktet.
Not so fast, cbearnm.

The CBS station is owned by LIN Broadcasting, which does not have an HD retransmission agreement with DirecTV. FOX is currently owned by Raycom, but is being sold to LIN, so it is unknown how soon the Albuquerque FOX would be up in HD.

·
AllStar
102 Posts
cbearnm said:
I have it on reasonably good authority that D* has already made agreements with all 4 in the Albuquerqe/Santa Fe marktet. The backbone is already in place and just waiting for d* to throw the switch.
Wow, even KRQE's going to broadcast in HD?

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
DTV's technical dept. can tell you the list of the HD locals that are launching at the end of this quarter. They have an updated list that came available to them recently. The billing agents apparently have access but aren't always aware of how to find the list. We're still waiting for HD locals in my area. What I'm really waiting for is the OTA being enabled. I'm in a prime spot from the affiliates towers. Last thing I heard was the software upgrade is suppose to take place 12/06 for OTA but it still can change as you know.

FYI: DTV is not going to upgrade for free. You'll get the 5LNB included when you PAY for the HR20. If you complain enough they might reduce the price but they are not going to give it to you for free. A lot of folks who got the HR10-250 last year for $1000 are pissed about it and DTV is not upgrading.

·
Godfather
440 Posts
[QUOTE:I believe this is incorrect. I get CBS, NBC, ABC & FOX on my HR20 through the Dtv dish.

Same here.....

·
Godfather
452 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but quite frankly the HD locals via D* look like crap in MPEG-4 compression, at least in the Houston, TX area.

We have all 4, but OTA literally looks 10 times better than from D*. Thank goodness I can get them OTA because if I had to rely on the AT9 and suffer the PQ issues I'd be screaming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.