DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Tim,

Just a word of advice from someone who has been there before. I had D* upgrade me to a HR20-700 and a new dish in advance of them adding HD locals. At the time they had announced the locals for my area in August and my install was in early September. At the time I thought no big deal I’m sure they are just a tad behind in adding my locals. Now it appears that I’m looking at least 2007 before my locals in HD are added and frankly it may be even longer who knows.

Some things your should be aware of:

1. If/when they add your locals it will not be all four networks. I believe D* hasn’t added a single DMA yet that has all four of the big locals active. Most just get 2 stations.
2. If you’re thinking no problem I’ll just pick up the other locals that D* doesn’t add via OTA be aware that the HR20-700 currently doesn’t do OTA. People will quickly tell you it’s coming anyday now but remember OTA has supposedly been around the corner since the day I started reading these boards back in August and it’s still not here. I’m not saying it won’t come but just remember, D* has been promising me my locals in HD since August and it ain’t happening. The same could easily happen with OTA.
3. If you gamble on OTA being added in the near future, remember that the HR20 was released with a lot of bugs. I believe they have now released SIX public firmwares. That’s one buggy box. So, there will be bugs with the release of OTA as well. To D* credit they are releasing firmware dates at a pretty good clip to resolve issues.
4. PLEASE don’t buy an HR20 from Best Buy. I believe they are still priced at $399. I paid $0 with 5 free months of HD programming, a free install and waived $19.95 service fee. After being considerably late for an install appointment I had them add 4 months of showtime for free. If you were to buy 2 of those boxes from Best Buy you’d be out $800 when you can certainly get one if not both for free. If you are a customer with D* and not under contract this shouldn’t be a problem if your willing to make a 2 year commitment.
5. Currently the HR20 contains numerous issues. Native ON causes issues, HDMI still has issues, Search function is buggy, possible issues when using auto-record feature, still struggles with Sport package programs although greatly improved, randomly canceling recordings and recently quite of few users report lock ups. However, I must add that D* seems to be aggressive in stamping out these bugs. But be forewarned it takes patience.

Good luck in your choices but if it were me, I’d wait until the locals are a sure thing and then revisit the boards (both here and at your local DMA AVS forum) before switching to the HR20’s.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.