DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Actually, both satellite services have downgraded SD over the years as they have added channels.

With the HD push in full swing, I would doubt that the SD channels will be upgraded, although D* could do some juggling and provide them with more bandwidth when the new satellites come online next year.

But again, they are pushing HD for those customers who care about quality, and pushing the channel providers to add HD if they do not have it.

·
Legend
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paulman182 said:
But again, they are pushing HD for those customers who care about quality, and pushing the channel providers to add HD if they do not have it.
Thanks! :)

I think those customers who have HD also care a lot about SD quality. :)

Any idea on how much extra bandwidth D* needs to bring each SD channel
up to quality near the local OTA digital SD channels?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
In 2009 when analog goes away the local OTA stations will all be broadcasting in digital 480p and DirecTV will have no choice but to use that as a source. How they will process and transmit the signals from there is a big question, I am not sure I have ever seen that discussed.

·
Legend
150 Posts
texasbrit said:
In 2009 when analog goes away the local OTA stations will all be broadcasting in digital 480p and DirecTV will have no choice but to use that as a source. How they will process and transmit the signals from there is a big question, I am not sure I have ever seen that discussed.
MPEG-4 Spotbeams. What people refer to as "Local HD" channels are actually just local DTV stations rebroadcasted over the SAT. What they are doing now is the begining of what they will be doing in 2009.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.