DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Cool Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of the damage at&t did to DirecTV while they owned em and the future of satellite tv in general, what's dtv's chance of surviving? 馃

Living in most rural areas there's poor or no internet access and usually no cable so satellite tv has it nitch.

I've been a continuous DirecTV customer since 1994.

Icon
I think they鈥檒l slowly move stuff to stream. Possibly even integrate the two, they鈥檝e already merged the apps. A lot of people love their Dtv and internet is not in a lot of areas but that鈥檚 changing quickly. I see a lot of power company coops are running fiber in a lot of rural areas. I read that google fiber is partnered with DTV stream now.

Beware the Attack Basset
After all of the damage at&t did to DirecTV while they owned em and the future of satellite tv in general, what's dtv's chance of surviving?
At some point it seems likely that TPG will lose interest in trying to find a buyer.

It isn't reasonable to blame AT&T for all of DIRECTV's problems. A goodly portion of blame probably rests with the RSNs that DIRECTV can't reasonably live without given that it is one of the few things they have left to distinguish them. DIRECTV was doing great prior to AT&T but the writing was on the wall for those who were willing to read it that the market wasn't going to support the kind of pricing that DIRECTV set with the popularity of dabbling with streaming hitting its stride.

As DISH's CEO has been saying for years, DIRECTV DBS (if not all of their offerings) will eventually be his. What remains of DIRECTV is the only question.

everyone's screaming about starlink!!! i don't think DTV will be around in 5 years with everyone going to streaming. i don't think even hugesnet or viacrap has a chance of surviving.. and i would not give AT&T one red cent if i could help it that's how bad it's run there screwing up more than DTV!!!

I gave up doing any business with AT&T. I switched my 6 office telephone lines and Direct at home. They are just too hard to deal with.
funny you say that!!! whenever i call in me and the rep gotta play where's waldo since there's like 15 acct's popping up from the ATT days that's how bad they f'ed **** up :mad: :rolleyes: :oops:

At some point it seems likely that TPG will lose interest in trying to find a buyer.

It isn't reasonable to blame AT&T for all of DIRECTV's problems. A goodly portion of blame probably rests with the RSNs that DIRECTV can't reasonably live without given that it is one of the few things they have left to distinguish them. DIRECTV was doing great prior to AT&T but the writing was on the wall for those who were willing to read it that the market wasn't going to support the kind of pricing that DIRECTV set with the popularity of dabbling with streaming hitting its stride.

As DISH's CEO has been saying for years, DIRECTV DBS (if not all of their offerings) will eventually be his. What remains of DIRECTV is the only question.
if they do merge i wonder who's sats they would run off of that would be a pia to convert everyone over!!!

Premium Member
if they do merge i wonder who's sats they would run off of that would be a pia to convert everyone over!!!
That's why a merger is unlikely to happen. The merged company would have to operate both fleets (all THREE fleets since Dish has two arcs) and support customers with both types of equipment because it would cost far too much to convert customers of one to the other. The only benefit you'd get would be from merging management, billing, call centers, and installation/repair. There are some savings to be had there but with both customer bases declining the savings would be unlikely to be enough to pay off the cost of combining operations.

Depending on the balance sheets of each company maybe there are some tax benefits to be had, but from a pure business standpoint a merger makes no sense. It might have worked 10 years ago, but the FTC wouldn't have let them merge while satellite was the only TV option for large swathes of rural America, because it create a monopoly there.

Reactions: krel

Hall Of Fame
I think they鈥檒l slowly move stuff to stream. Possibly even integrate the two, they鈥檝e already merged the apps. A lot of people love their Dtv and internet is not in a lot of areas but that鈥檚 changing quickly. I see a lot of power company coops are running fiber in a lot of rural areas. I read that google fiber is partnered with DTV stream now.
They merged the apps? also can I use the directv app on AppleTV to watch directv as a sat subscriber?

Super Moderator
That's why a merger is unlikely to happen.
Not to mention that DISH makes far too much money off of DISH TV and Charles Ergen has no intention to sell his company. The company is publicly traded, but he still owns the vast majority of the shares especially when it comes to voting stock. DISH made $785 million dollars from DISH TV last quarter (satellite and streaming) but their overall profit was $523 million. Sell to some company that would aggregate DISH TV and DIRECTV? Naw.

DISH buying DIRECTV to fulfill the merger prophecy? There is no need. DISH doesn't need the additional debt and as just noted, they are doing fine. DISH doesn't need to bail out DIRECTV to survive. They can buy what is left of the company eventually but there is no pressure.

That's why a merger is unlikely to happen. The merged company would have to operate both fleets (all THREE fleets since Dish has two arcs) and support customers with both types of equipment because it would cost far too much to convert customers of one to the other. The only benefit you'd get would be from merging management, billing, call centers, and installation/repair. There are some savings to be had there but with both customer bases declining the savings would be unlikely to be enough to pay off the cost of combining operations.

Depending on the balance sheets of each company maybe there are some tax benefits to be had, but from a pure business standpoint a merger makes no sense. It might have worked 10 years ago, but the FTC wouldn't have let them merge while satellite was the only TV option for large swathes of rural America, because it create a monopoly there.
I would let one go bankrupt then buy the licenses and whatever else for pennies on the dollar.. I belive that's how sxms merger went

Not to mention that DISH makes far too much money off of DISH TV and Charles Ergen has no intention to sell his company. The company is publicly traded, but he still owns the vast majority of the shares especially when it comes to voting stock. DISH made $785 million dollars from DISH TV last quarter (satellite and streaming) but their overall profit was $523 million. Sell to some company that would aggregate DISH TV and DIRECTV? Naw.

DISH buying DIRECTV to fulfill the merger prophecy? There is no need. DISH doesn't need the additional debt and as just noted, they are doing fine. DISH doesn't need to bail out DIRECTV to survive. They can buy what is left of the company eventually but there is no pressure.
Does Charlie even have the money to buy out another sat caster with him investing In 5G

Hall Of Fame
i figured after I tried on appletv seems only streaming app available there. The merged app confused me. So you have directv sat and stream or am I misunderstanding your signature
The merged app was mobile/tablet only... and Yes both at two different houses.. Although my one house cell signal now is pulling down over 300Mbps so I will be cancelling service there in the next week or two

Hall Of Fame
The merged app was mobile/tablet only... and Yes both at two different houses.. Although my one house cell signal now is pulling down over 300Mbps so I will be cancelling service there in the next week or two
canceling the sat version or streaming and just use the app at the new house? I stay with the sat version since I need sunday ticket however gonna be moving middle of season. The rep told me as long as I have a receiver I am paying for I will be able to use the apps .

Hall Of Fame
canceling the sat version or streaming and just use the app at the new house? I stay with the sat version since I need sunday ticket however gonna be moving middle of season. The rep told me as long as I have a receiver I am paying for I will be able to use the apps .
I am cancelling the SAT Version... I have been using stream at my primary residence for almost 2 years and it is superior in every way

1 - 20 of 38 Posts