DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you hook up a DISH HD reciever like the 942 to a standard television and use it for OTA HD broadcasts, can you hook it up using the S-video or composite output to view it downconverted to SD? The reason I ask is because a-I get snowy analog reception but clear HD reception OTA in my area and B-there are a couple digital subchannels I'd like to be able to get on my secondary television.

· Icon
627 Posts
akron05 said:
If you hook up a DISH HD reciever like the 942 to a standard television and use it for OTA HD broadcasts, can you hook it up using the S-video or composite output to view it downconverted to SD? The reason I ask is because a-I get snowy analog reception but clear HD reception OTA in my area and B-there are a couple digital subchannels I'd like to be able to get on my secondary television.
Yes that would work.

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Not a problem. Just keep in mind that the 942 and 622 only have ATSC tuners. You will not be able to pick up analog stations at all. If you wanted to get both you'd need something like the 921, which can receive both but only record the digital ones.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
I was not aware that the 942 did not have an NTSC tuner. I was hoping to swap my 921 for a 942 for the dual tuner to 2 TV's mode. I still have several locals who have yet to fire up their ASTC transmitters.

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Ooops, I think your right. I dont' think they removed the NTSC tuner until the 622. Let me double check that. However, if it is there, you still can not record it. Only digital channels can be recorded.

Followup: Yep, just checked, it's still there. Sorry for the false alarm. It does go away in the 622 though.

· Legend
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael P said:
I was not aware that the 942 did not have an NTSC tuner. I was hoping to swap my 921 for a 942 for the dual tuner to 2 TV's mode. I still have several locals who have yet to fire up their ASTC transmitters.
Let me see if I have this right-

We are still waiting for WVPX and WBNX, right?

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Yep, those are the two hold-outs here.

BTW: My 921 does a dandy job pulling in WKBN-DT from Youngstown. That will give you CBS HD in DD 5.1 (WOIO has yet to get their DD 5.1 act together) and a SD FOX affilliate on a subchannel (and a different choice of NFL games on many Sundays during the regular season). I watch it all on a 27" Sony Trinitron. I just have to adjust the screen on the HD channels (gray bars, letterbox, stretch or zoom). I use stretch in WKYC - it returns 4X3 programs to their proper size (ch 3 stretches 4X3 into a fake 16x9 which looks bad on a 4X3 screen). I use zoom for anything broacaast in true 4X3 on a channel that had HD during other time (i.e. the .01 "main channel" for 5, 8, 19, 27, 43).

· Godfather
471 Posts
A friend of mine is willing to lend me his old 921 (it is not currently subscribed to any E* programming) to pick up digital OTA via my rooftop ant. My question, will it still decode digital OTA signals even though the receiver isn't currently subscribing to E* programming?

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
sikma said:
A friend of mine is willing to lend me his old 921 (it is not currently subscribed to any E* programming) to pick up digital OTA via my rooftop ant. My question, will it still decode digital OTA signals even though the receiver isn't currently subscribing to E* programming?
Yes, but... No DVR functions without being hooked to a satellite to get the EPG data.

You might be able to get the DVR to work onthe OTA's with if you hook up a Dish 500 to it. You'll still get to see the Charlie Chats :D

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
Michael P said:
Yes, but... No DVR functions without being hooked to a satellite to get the EPG data.
The 921 doesn't need EPG data to do DVR stuff. I'm pretty sure it can do the OTA thing (less EPG) without any satellite connection. The 942 may well need to be need to be "active" though.

Of course neither the 921 nor the 942 will record NTSC channels.

· Legend
163 Posts
akron05 said:
yes you can, and also watch HD OTA channels. but if they are in 16:9 format that look squished . you can stretch it and then you will miss some of the picture, but workes great. I told them to send me all HD tuners because I wanted to be able to upgrade the TVs without having to have dish waste a call and come out .

Eaton

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
akron05 said:
Yes.

In fact the tv2 house distribution output is NTSC only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.