DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it....
- Directv 10 and 11 are planned to launch middle 2007, correct?
- These are both Ka birds that will BOTH be at 101 deg W?
- They will carry additional local market HDs as well as national HDs, correct?
- And...This will leave D*10, D*11 and Spaceway F1 and F2 carrying only HDs on Ka-band using MPEG-4, all at 99W/101W/103W??

Which leads me to the real question....

Will existing HD channels (ESPN, TNT, Discovery...) also be transitioned to Ka at 99/101/103 during 2007?

I ask because my location can presently get 110W and 119W, but tree growth threatens these in the future. 101W is a clean shot.

· Registered
15,592 Posts
I don't know if they would replace the KU channels with KA versions that quickly. I do hope that they would at least mirror them and with full resolution and bandwidth on the KA birds to bring the quality back.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
-) I believe DirecTV 10 is set for April-ish; and 11 June/July
-) One is going to the 99 slot; the other to the 103
-) Yes, they will care more local HD and national HD's
-) Spaceway I believe is being replaced by these two, they are not slated for long term usage by DirecTV.

Indications are that those national ones may be converted in 2007, if not it will be early 2008 when it is done.

· Icon
928 Posts
tkrandall said:
As I understand it....

- These are both Ka birds that will BOTH be at 101 deg W?
This is incorrect. One will be at 99 and the other at 103. They both are KA birds as you stated!

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
From what I've heard, Earl, the Spaceways are going to stay where they are and continue their spot beam duties.

· Legend
104 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
-) I believe DirecTV 10 is set for April-ish; and 11 June/July
-) One is going to the 99 slot; the other to the 103
-) Yes, they will care more local HD and national HD's
-) Spaceway I believe is being replaced by these two, they are not slated for long term usage by DirecTV.

Indications are that those national ones may be converted in 2007, if not it will be early 2008 when it is done.
I assume those are launch dates? Typically, how long has it taken for new satellites to be put into service once they are launched?

· Legend
181 Posts
jdoug said:
I assume those are launch dates? Typically, how long has it taken for new satellites to be put into service once they are launched?
Yes, those are (anticipated) launch dates......
Typically, it takes about 6-8 weeks to place a "bird" into service once launched, assuming a successful testing period.....

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody have a guess as to if/when the existing national HDs
(ESPN1 & 2, Discovery theater, etc) will get allocated to MPEG4 on the new sattelites?

The reason I ask is that I am concerend about the long term viability of me being able to see 110W and 119W due to tree growth. 99/101/103 should be fine.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
Smthkd said:
This is incorrect. One will be at 99 and the other at 103. They both are KA birds as you stated!
While it's true that the D10 and D11 will be in the 99 and 103 slots, if you have a fairly clear view of the 101 position you have a much greater chance of seeing all three birds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.