DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the final stages of my basement finishing and now need to move the switch from its old location to the new one, next to the electric panel.
Next to the switch there are old, unused, three RG6 that were connected to my old Triple-LNB dish (obviously only one is now used with the SWiM (or whatever it is called).

My question is - do you think there is a remote chance that they will ever be used, meaning do I need to spend money on additional, some 120' of new RG6 to extend to the panel, or can I just leave them and save the money? Even without these three I need around 250' of RG6. I won't have access to them after it is finished (unless I decided to go through drywall, which I will try to avoid of course.

Thanks.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
If you think that you will ever go over eight tuners (four DVRs or any combination), you should extend them now.

Dont hide splices behind dry wall use a blank wall plate so you will remember where they are and have access.

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
samrs said:
If you think that you will ever go over eight tuners (four DVRs or any combination), you should extend them now.

Dont hide splices behind dry wall use a blank wall plate so you will remember where they are and have access.
So what you're saying is, with my current dish/switch I can have max of 8 DVRs? Not that I am planning on going over 4, just interested to know how it works.

And what is a blank wall plate?
What if I extend the three unused RG6, do I need still access? I don't see any scenario where I'll need to access it in the future.

· Legend
244 Posts
SBI said:
So what you're saying is, with my current dish/switch I can have max of 8 DVRs? Not that I am planning on going over 4, just interested to know how it works.

And what is a blank wall plate?
What if I extend the three unused RG6, do I need still access? I don't see any scenario where I'll need to access it in the future.
you can have a max of 4 dvrs or any combination of 8 tuners with what you have now. If you ever go over the 8 tuners you will need them.

The blank wall plate as an access panel thing would be so you have access to the connections under the unlikely event that something happens to one of them

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
SBI said:
So what you're saying is, with my current dish/switch I can have max of 8 DVRs?
Your current dish uses an SWM LNB assembly, which only requires one coax cable. That LNB can support a maximum of 8 tuners (2 in a DVR, 1 in a non-DVR). So you can have 3 DVRs and 2 receivers, 4 DVRs, 2 DVRs and 4 receivers, etc. Tuner count cannot exceed 8.

If you ever go to an installation that would exceed 8 tuners, then the LNB would have to be replaced with a non-SWM and that needs 4 coax to it. Say for example you decide to replace just one of your existing DVRs with the new HR34 home media center. If you have 4 DVRs, that's 8 tuners. Take one away and you are at 6 tuners, then add the HR34 and you are at 11 tuners. Right there your existing LNB would not support the new installation.

So it is very possible you could end up at some future time wanting the additional capability. Given the relatively low cost of coax, I would extend all four without a second thought. That's so much cheaper than pulling out drywall and replacing it a year from now.

· Legend
383 Posts
I agree with everyone else.. i would run them all now and just leave the other 3 unterminated. like the saying says "you can pay a little now or a lot later"

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I am convinced, especially since I got 500 ft. of quad-shield RG6 for $48. I only need around 250 ft. but they didn't have it, I might as well just use what I have. I thought it was much more expensive. Having bought lots of romex lately I thought RG6 was as expensive.

Still would like some info about this access panel. What is it? Is it something you buy (access panel for drywall), or do you guys mean simply cut a hole and 'make' an access?

· AllStar
68 Posts
SBI said:
OK, I am convinced, especially since I got 500 ft. of quad-shield RG6 for $48. I only need around 250 ft. but they didn't have it, I might as well just use what I have. I thought it was much more expensive. Having bought lots of romex lately I thought RG6 was as expensive.

Still would like some info about this access panel. What is it? Is it something you buy (access panel for drywall), or do you guys mean simply cut a hole and 'make' an access?
I believe they are just referring to this. http://www.amazon.com/200-258WH-Steren-Blank-White-Plate/dp/B0021AEWFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331439995&sr=8-1

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come to think of it - where do you draw the line (of how many wires you pull when your walls are down)? Today you can be fine with 1 coaxial per receiver ("standard" HD DVR), you need two tomorrow for HMC, and God knows what's coming in a year or two, maybe you'll need 3 coaxial or more per receiver for HMC Extra Deluxe to record 12 shows and watch 2 simultaneously (I am exaggerating on purpose, but you get the point), so where is the line between preparing for the future and 'insane overkill', assuming one has his walls naked once every 20-30 years?

On the same note: OK, so I will extend my three older/unused wires. I can use two of the 'old' RG6 that D* installed for me, they are long enough. These are RG6 3GHz and worked perfectly fine until today.
However the new line that I bought is Quad-Shield. I think I have enough new wire, but will I be considered crazy if I chose to trash the old coax and replace it with new quad-shield?

· AllStar
69 Posts
I had my walls (and upstairs floor) bare 7 years ago, at that time I put in 2x30 ft of S-video cables, 4xaudio cables, 1xCAT5 and 1xRG6 cable to connect between my downstairs DirecTIVO setup and upstairs TV. I am using the RG6 to send remote signal between my setups.

Now S-video is going away (and has that "your cable is not HD" message on the DVRs). I wished I buried 4 more CAT5 so I can use HDMI-(2x)CAT5 to connect.

If I were you I will not only keep the RG6, but will add a few CAT6 cables in the wall, jut in case. Almost any signal nowadays can be converted to CAT5/CAT6.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
SBI said:
matthpd195 said:
Just exactly - cut a hole. Get a low-voltage wall plate mounting bracket, screw a blank wall plate on, and presto, you're done. But now you can get to where all those wires are cross-connected if you need to. I would go for a double-wide plate rather than single, a little easier to reach in and snag what you are looking for.

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
carl6 said:
Just exactly - cut a hole. Get a low-voltage wall plate mounting bracket, screw a blank wall plate on, and presto, you're done. But now you can get to where all those wires are cross-connected if you need to. I would go for a double-wide plate rather than single, a little easier to reach in and snag what you are looking for.
Thanks all, will definitely do that.

So what shall I do with the 'old' RG6, shall I use them or run new quad-shield?

· MANC
1,504 Posts
Quad shield is overkill and hard to work with, inspect your old cable.

Bend it, does the shield crack? If you strip back the shield from the braid, is it more powder than braid? If the answer is yes to either then replace. Otherwise its still good. Check it at both ends.

My HR20-700 runs on old Prime Star cable from the early ninety's. The shield is still pliable and the braid isn't corroded. Works perfect.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
Aye, don't go quad-shield. I have stretches of it in my walls, and I hate it. Nearly as stiff as a copper pipe.

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JeffBowser said:
Aye, don't go quad-shield. I have stretches of it in my walls, and I hate it. Nearly as stiff as a copper pipe.
samrs said:
Quad shield is overkill and hard to work with
Yup, I learned that the hard way. I don't have an issue with running the cable, but I am having very hard time with the RG6 connector on this cable...cannot put this in correctly. Unfortunately, trying to be smart, I bought the cable (QS) first and only then asked the question. Looks like I'll be heading to the store today to get new 500' standard RG6, unless someone here knows a trick how to put these damn connectors (easily...) on the RG6/Q.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
RG6 quad shield has its own special connectors that are a tad different from the normal ones, but I'm drawing a blank on details at the moment...

· AllStar
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JeffBowser said:
RG6 quad shield has its own special connectors that are a tad different from the normal ones, but I'm drawing a blank on details at the moment...
I have them...it says on the box RG6 and RG6/Q, still having difficulty put them on. Unless I need something really special that is not sold in the common hardware stores.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
I guess that's it - rated for quad shield. I don't know what else to tell you, I barely know myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.