DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Legend
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read where ESPNU-HD is going live this Thursday (Aug 28) when Vanderbilt plays at Miami (OH). However, I haven't read anything yet on whether Dish will have that channel available by then.

Has anyone heard anything? I rarely ever watch ESPNU, but I definitely will be watching my Commodores play, whether it is in HD or SD.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
snowcat said:
I have read where ESPNU-HD is going live this Thursday (Aug 28) when Vanderbilt plays at Miami (OH). However, I haven't read anything yet on whether Dish will have that channel available by then.

Has anyone heard anything? I rarely ever watch ESPNU, but I definitely will be watching my Commodores play, whether it is in HD or SD.
I doubt it because the new satelite is still being tested.

·
Legend
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cptaylor said:
I just talked to a rep. They said they were still in negotiations. Not sure where they are or how close they are.:bang
Oh well. I have seen plenty of Vandy games in SD, so one more won't hurt me. ;)

With the new ESPN-SEC agreement, I expect to see a lot more games on ESPNU in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I would be surprised if it were a contractual problem with Disney, especially given that Dish just launched a bunch of the Disney family of HD channels recently (before some other major providers I might add!)... so I can't believe ESPNUHD wouldn't have been part of that conversation.

IF there is an issue that prevents carriage, I suppose there could be a capacity one.. not necessarily for lack of it since we know there is at least a little bandwidth even without Echo11... but perhaps if something is already "reserved" but currently unused that might be a wrench in the plan.

I would also be surprised if we didn't see ESPNUHD until the end of the season (football). While I know this happens, just with all the other Disney stuff implying a good relationship with Dish & Disney, I'd be surprised.

·
Icon
324 Posts
brant said:
I have a question:

If dish picks up ESPNU HD, is there a chance it will be added to the dishHD absolute package?
Every new HD channel should be added to the DishHD absolute pack

·
Icon
760 Posts
snowcat said:
No ESPNU-HD this morning. It would really surprise me if a deal was worked out before the game.
Seems like the press release from ESPN said it would come online at the start of the football game; I'm not sure if that means we won't see it until gametime, if at all.

·
Legend
221 Posts

·
Icon
324 Posts
brant said:
okay I hadn't seen that one. I went back and looked at the article I saw, and it actually said the "first live HD event" would be the football game @ 7:30. Looks like we're not getting ESPNU HD; that stinks. I'd like to have it.
We could get it tomorrow, after the DNC HD channel is taken off

·
Icon
760 Posts
ESPNU HD has carriage agreements in place with Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS TV, RCN, Atlantic Broadband and Broadstripe customers. ESPN is currently working on distribution deals with additional cable, satellite and telecommunications operators.
from the link in my post above.

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
If DISH were carrying the RNC on a special channel I'd expect a press release announcing it and some trace in the EPG.

211 SD is "DISH SLATE" through 8pm Monday and the becomes the satellite tax channel again ...
211 HD is "DISH SLATE: through 4am Monday and then is "Off Air".

There are test channels in HD that are available (don't forget two Olympic HD channels were taken down Monday ... plus there were other test HD channels even during the Olympics). The capacity is there ... look for a contract.

IIRC there is a DISH ESPN lawsuit pending ... so expect limbo.

Edit: OK, as I post that the EPG changes to "off air" for both.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.