Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AT9 of course -- the HR20 will go indoors =]

I have an install scheduled for today and its basically the only day I can get off for about the next 12 weeks. I need the AT9, I've already set up the HR20.

The rain might be helping out my Cardinals, but how will it impact an installer and the AT9? He basically needs to swap out the 3-LNB dish for the AT9.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Well, It's not just a simple swap out as the mast diameter is bigger for the AT-9, so it's bascially a whole new install. I suppose it's up to the installer, with safety being the major concern. (lightning, slippery roof etc.)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I think wakajawaka's right - if the install is onto a wall, for instance, it should be pretty straightforward. You do have to be concerned about water getting into the coax connections but as long as it's not a torrential downpour when he's making connections it can probably be done. That said, if the guy shows and does it, he's earned a good tip.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
WinstonSmith said:
Also, what are the odds that if he won't install, he would leave the AT9 with me and I can install it myself?
You can always ask.

If it's a pole mount, and your pole is already there and is 2" diameter it should be pretty straight forward. He can put it all together inside your house and you can hold an umbrella for him as he hooks up the cables to keep them (and him) dry. And definately a tip if he is willing to do it in the rain.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
WinstonSmith said:

I have an install scheduled for today and its basically the only day I can get off for about the next 12 weeks. I need the AT9, I've already set up the HR20.

The rain might be helping out my Cardinals, but how will it impact an installer and the AT9? He basically needs to swap out the 3-LNB dish for the AT9.
This is my exact situation. Install for today, HR already set up, etc. Light rain here at the moment.

The only difference - is that I'm in Detroit! (Now, how's that for a coincidence?)

Oh, and it will be a roof install.

(If we can pull this one out tongiht and bring it back home, you guys are in trouble! And if our pitchers stop screwing up so badly)

·
Legend
228 Posts
WinstonSmith said:
What!?! The HR20 is supposed to go indoors?

·
Legend
146 Posts
WinstonSmith said:
Also, what are the odds that if he won't install, he would leave the AT9 with me and I can install it myself?
Slim to none, but it doesn't hurt to ask! If D* hears about it, they would seriously unhappy, but if the installer knows he'll get paid anyway, he may be willing to bend the rules.

After all, it's not 1984 any more!! :nono:

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
crabtrp said:
You tip installers? I never have.
I did this time. The installer took his time, asked my input about where I wanted the dish and cables run, did a precise and clean job running cables and was in no rush to hurry to his next TWO installs that afternoon. I gave him my thanks and a $20 bill as he was leaving.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
satguy22 said:
What is a tip? People dont tip. Not here anway.
I'm in Florida, and I have always tipped installers for a job well done.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
WinstonSmith said:

Obviously rain will cause issues with the signal strength readings; if it's continuous and heavy it will be a problem.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
crabtrp said:
You tip installers? I never have.
My installer had a couple of beers with me and a neighbor who was over after he was done. I kid you not. He was probably the most unprofessional service guy I have ever met, but he was very knowledgeable and funny.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Greenbay4 said:
My installer had a couple of beers with me and a neighbor who was over after he was done.
Probably better than before he started :)

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Forget all that! My installer refused to go up on the roof to install the AT-9. He said it's a waste of his time. Called D* to complain, I'd be surprised if he can keep his job. He tried to mislead me, tried to convince me to keep my 3LNB and buy his OTA for $99. When I asked about D* plan to move every channel to HD, then he said "no line of sight for the 5 LNB."

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
WinstonSmith said:

Any luck? It's 5:15 here now, installer a no-show. The rain held off up intil the last hour, but it's still not heavy.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
F1Fan said:
Forget all that! My installer refused to go up on the roof to install the AT-9. He said it's a waste of his time. Called D* to complain, I'd be surprised if he can keep his job. He tried to mislead me, tried to convince me to keep my 3LNB and buy his OTA for $99. When I asked about D* plan to move every channel to HD, then he said "no line of sight for the 5 LNB."
Lovely. Just lovely.

Somebody up there loves you...but down here, not so much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.