DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the 3lnb on my roof. I have 4 receivers, one R15 and three D10's.

I bought a 5lnb recently and put it up, havent locked in the signal yet or even hooked it up to any of the receivers. I bought it because I was upgrading to the HR20-700 (whenever they get in) and figured it was a good time to upgrade the dish too.

I currently get local channels (NYC locals). I was told by an installer today that the 5lnb wont work with the older receivers and that I would lose my locals.

I was under the impression that the 5lnb works the same as the 3lnb it his all the same satallites it just adds the two new ones (when they are turned up).

Am I wrong about this and am I going to have problems with my R15 and D10's with local channels?

I really dont want to have 2 dishes I was planning on pulling the 3lnb down as soon as I get this one calibrated.

Thanks!

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
You are right and that installer is wrong. The 5LNB dish will do everything a 3LNB dish will do (101, 110 and 119), plus receive the Ka-band satellites at 99 and 103 degrees). My R15 works just fine with it.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Hopefully you can ask for credits from D* for the dish, as they would have supplied one when you activated the HR20.

The installer was probably confused about the MPEG2/MPEG4 issue, which involves only the HD channels, not the SD. And whatever D* plans to transmit in MPEG4 on its new sats, you will be ready with the AT9 and HR20.

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bobnielsen said:
You are right and that installer is wrong. The 5LNB dish will do everything a 3LNB dish will do (101, 110 and 119), plus receive the Ka-band satellites at 99 and 103 degrees). My R15 works just fine with it.
Thank you very much. I installed it myself to save the hastle of having someone come out take all day and not do a clean job.

Now I just need someone to lock in the signal for me so I can move my 4 cables over to that dish and pull the other one off.

Do you know any good installers in the Princeton NJ area?

Thanks again!

·
Legend
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paulman182 said:
Hopefully you can ask for credits from D* for the dish, as they would have supplied one when you activated the HR20.

The installer was probably confused about the MPEG2/MPEG4 issue, which involves only the HD channels, not the SD. And whatever D* plans to transmit in MPEG4 on its new sats, you will be ready with the AT9 and HR20.
I will, I was wondering about that because alot of people didnt get a new dish around here but I think maybe it was because they only had HR10s. I didnt pay to much for my dish and I figured even if I did get it from D* they would not have put it up where I wanted it and used the extra monopole supports that I did.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Staszek said:
I currently have the 3lnb on my roof. I have 4 receivers, one R15 and three D10's.

I bought a 5lnb recently and put it up, havent locked in the signal yet or even hooked it up to any of the receivers. I bought it because I was upgrading to the HR20-700 (whenever they get in) and figured it was a good time to upgrade the dish too.

I currently get local channels (NYC locals). I was told by an installer today that the 5lnb wont work with the older receivers and that I would lose my locals.

I was under the impression that the 5lnb works the same as the 3lnb it his all the same satallites it just adds the two new ones (when they are turned up).

Am I wrong about this and am I going to have problems with my R15 and D10's with local channels?

I really dont want to have 2 dishes I was planning on pulling the 3lnb down as soon as I get this one calibrated.

Thanks!
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.