DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called D* the other day regarding another (3rd in a month) lock-up during playback and while waiting for the reset I started chatting with the advanced tech. He claims that starting in Jan'07 the HR20 will get a complete make-over...integrated Windows Media Edition look and feel and that it will eventually migrate to the R15.

Could things be any worse?:eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
It was a CSR take what they say with a grain of salt. ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Anyone have any idea what the new interface is even going to look like? Wondering if there are any photos or guesstimate drawings out there for it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
There's a picture on the slide of that presentation where they mention the new UI (slide 60, I believe), but it doesn't show much.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
walters said:
There's a picture on the slide of that presentation where they mention the new UI (slide 60, I believe), but it doesn't show much.
My bad didn't realize that was the new look :lol: I thought it was just along the lines of some of the other screens in there where it as for something special. I actually wish they would go with the more rounded look. Just an opinion though.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clint Lamor said:
Anyone have any idea what the new interface is even going to look like? Wondering if there are any photos or guesstimate drawings out there for it.
According to the CSR, the color scheme is windows bluish in nature

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Seeing as they are trying to brand everything to look and feel the same I would guess that it would be for all current models that are still supported. This is just my feeling though.

Kevin Dupuy said:
Will it be nly on the new recivers sold, or released on a software update?

·
Godfather
440 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
Seeing as they are trying to brand everything to look and feel the same I would guess that it would be for all current models that are still supported. This is just my feeling though.
Yeah, but the question is though, since they are trying to make everything look the same, why change now? Actually, I know. Because the original interface was designed for the normal non-DVR recivers. The current UI sucks when it comes to DVR interfaces.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
To be perfectly honest I think the current UI just sort of sucks in general. It's far too industrial looking, needs to be spiffed up quite a bit but not too cartoony.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
There's the problem. Some complain that Tivo is to cartoony and others (like me) complain the R15/HR20 UI is to sterile. Doesn't even get into navigatability.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
I would be happy with bring back DOS's plain screens if that would help !

I am also surpised that that says only 2.5 Million DVR's. I always though it was much higher.

Did you also see who they say is their key customer ? Married male 35-55, college graduate, wealthy, homeowner, etc... No duh what company wouldnt want that ?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Wolffpack said:
There's the problem. Some complain that Tivo is to cartoony and others (like me) complain the R15/HR20 UI is to sterile. Doesn't even get into navigatability.
I fall in both, I think Tivo is too over the edge even though I'm a Tivo fan. I think DTV UI just lacks any character. I think it needs to be somewhere in the middle. Right now it's just not there in my eyes.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I was shocked when I first got the R 15 at how primitive looking the UI was. It looks like the plain D* receiver I first got back in early 2001. I have always thought it was ugly. I prefer the TiVo interface. I will say however that I do truly enjoy the P-I-G with the R 15 and HR 20. I admit I am feeling better about the R 15 over all now that I've had six months to get used to not having my beloved TiVo. I still resent having to put the R 15 into standby everytime I leave the room for a few minutes to keep it from locking up but I am making my peace with the R 15, slowly.

Maybe I am just getting mushy and sentimental because of the Holidays. Been listening to too much XM Holly. Where's the Egg Nog?

One more thing sorry this is changing the subject but didn't know where else to post this. If D* wanted to give me a Christmas present, besides of course the obvious of fixing the R 15, it would be interactive games I could play on screen like Bejeweled and Solitaire to name a couple. I've been wanting games for years now. Anyway I know that's not a priority and don't expect it to become one. Happy Holidays all. :)

·
Icon
895 Posts
MercurialIN said:
I agree with the above posts. I was shocked when I first got the R 15 at how primitive looking the UI was. It looks like the plain D* receiver I first got back in early 2001. I have always thought it was ugly. I prefer the TiVo interface. I will say however that I do truly enjoy the P-I-G with the R 15 and HR 20. I admit I am feeling better about the R 15 over all now that I've had six months to get used to not having my beloved TiVo. I still resent having to put the R 15 into standby everytime I leave the room for a few minutes to keep it from locking up but I am making my peace with the R 15, slowly.

Maybe I am just getting mushy and sentimental because of the Holidays. Been listening to too much XM Holly. Where's the Egg Nog?

One more thing sorry this is changing the subject but didn't know where else to post this. If D* wanted to give me a Christmas present, besides of course the obvious of fixing the R 15, it would be interactive games I could play on screen like Bejeweled and Solitaire to name a couple. I've been wanting games for years now. Anyway I know that's not a priority and don't expect it to become one. Happy Holidays all. :)
The Game Lounge from DirecTV should be launching soon. Check it out on CH. 2000.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
The Game Lounge from DirecTV should be launching soon. Check it out on CH. 2000.
Thanks for the information. I will check out channel 2000. I'll be interested to see what The Game Lounge will offer.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,678 Posts
monkcee said:
.....integrated Windows Media Edition look and feel
Maybe they're going with an updated version of Ultimate TV. :D

Well, I'm sure that most of us wouldn't care what the new UI looks like, we just want the damn thing to record the shows we tell it to and not lock up anymore. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.