DBSTalk Forum banner

Will the new stuff (SWM-8, slimlinelnb) work in areas that arent rolling them out?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  LarryFlowers 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I hate to post as much as i am but you guys know all the answers.

Had the installer out today very very nice and talkative. However he wasnt up to date on all the new equipment like the SWM-8 and the new LNB. i knew it would be beneficial to both me and the installer to use this stuff to make both of our lives easier on the install. I showed him pictures of it and explained it to the best of my knowledge. He called his boss and told him about it and his boss never heard of the SWM but has heard of the new LNB. He basically said that since directv hasnt rolled out the new stuff in our area that they arent allowed to touch it. My question is, if I were to buy the stuff myself it will work even though its not technically avaiable in my area correct

#5 ·
Sure it will work anywhere... there seems to be some spot shortages of some of the equipment, but you could probably get it from someplace like Solid Signal. The biggest issue you could face is if you have problems with it... if the installers and techs in your area arent knowledgeable about it could be an issue down the road. Kind of surprising though as all the information the installers need is available to them through their on line resources.

#6 ·
LarryFlowers said:
Sure it will work anywhere... there seems to be some spot shortages of some of the equipment, but you could probably get it from someplace like Solid Signal. The biggest issue you could face is if you have problems with it... if the installers and techs in your area arent knowledgeable about it could be an issue down the road. Kind of surprising though as all the information the installers need is available to them through their on line resources.
Since the SWM8 is not available to most installers, none of them have had any training on it. The SWM line LNB is still not available everywhere, and many techs have still not had any training.

#7 ·
I was fortunate to be able to test one of the initial SWM-5 units. I installed it myself initially, of course, but when I moved a few months ago, I had an installer come to mount and aim the dish. I explained what the SWM-5 did and where the wires needed to go, and he did the rest. He had never heard of it, but was really interested to find out how you could get two tuners to work on one wire. The install went great, and we both benefited. I had a cleaner install and he learned a few things and had an easier install.

#8 ·
Stephens24 said:
Hey Guys I hate to post as much as i am but you guys know all the answers.
There are posters here who have posted in a day what you have posted since joining. You're questions are well thought and important to you--and you represent a large number of people who have similar questions that need answering but can't or won't ask. So keep asking for them. :)

And on their behalf--since they can't or won't post this either--I thank you for asking for them.
Stephens24 said:
Had the installer out today very very nice and talkative. However he wasnt up to date on all the new equipment like the SWM-8 and the new LNB. i knew it would be beneficial to both me and the installer to use this stuff to make both of our lives easier on the install. I showed him pictures of it and explained it to the best of my knowledge. He called his boss and told him about it and his boss never heard of the SWM but has heard of the new LNB. He basically said that since directv hasnt rolled out the new stuff in our area that they arent allowed to touch it. My question is, if I were to buy the stuff myself it will work even though its not technically avaiable in my area correct
SWM is great! And the other posters here have already been most excellent in giving you what you need to consider about support. It won't be long before the installers are up to speed, we'll be here before and after that as needed. :)

Thanks again,
Tom

#10 ·
texasbrit said:
Since the SWM8 is not available to most installers, none of them have had any training on it. The SWM line LNB is still not available everywhere, and many techs have still not had any training.
Didn't kow about the training, I assumed that since all the installer information for the SWM system is presented in a PowerPoint presentation on the DirecTV installers web site, that it would be accessible to all installers. I was privledged to see it and found it to be excellent. I am now using the SWM system for part of my installation and it is EXCELLENT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.