DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading all the posts over the last week; it seems that there is more stability with the HR20. It's not perfect by no means; but much better than a month ago. I'm seeing less people complaining about frozen recordings; and it looks like everyone is getting more compfortable with the UI.

Are we looking forward to a new update Wed. morning or are we ready for new features to be turned on; like OTA.?

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Vinny said:
From reading all the posts over the last week; it seems that there is more stability with the HR20.
I don't know about everyone else, but my HR20 is far from stable. It locks up all the time, requiring a reset/power toggle to fix it. I get shows that will choke in the middle, and if I try to FFWD past that point in the recording, the box locks up entirely. If I hit pause when it first freezes or rewind, I can go in and delete the recording, but I'm completely unable to watch that recording past that point.

In a way, it's worse than the unviewable recordings, since the freeze is random and I've had it happen 42 minutes into an hour long show.

So I hope if there is a software update 10/11, it fixes these problems. If not, I guess it could be bad hardware. It sure acts like there's a bad sector (or more tha one) on the disk, and the unit chokes whenever a recording hits the bad sector. No noises from the disk to speak of, though.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl said that he should be getting more details on OTA after the next update is released. I'm pretty sure we'll see another update this week. When exactly is anyones guess, and you will never get a firm answer on when it will happen until it has already been released.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I don't think it's really up to us to determine when we're ready for the OTA enable software update.

We'll get it when they decide to send it to us whether we're ready for it now or not.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glennb said:
I don't think it's really up to us to determine when we're ready for the OTA enable software update.

We'll get it when they decide to send it to us whether we're ready for it now or not.
When I said "ready" I meant it figuratively. Some don't want to see an update because they're not experiencing major problems and feel like they will regress with an update. Others are sitting patiently waiting for their problems to be "fixed" and still others have tossed in the towel and went back to their Tivo based receivers.

If I had a vote; I'd like to see a fix that will stop the freezing of recordings and the black screen when turning the unit on. I cross my fingers every time I go to My VOD to view a recording. Thankfully, in a month I only missed one. Please....HR20 "gods" don't punish me now!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Can I vote? Or is that considered insider trading?

·
Godfather
394 Posts
my unit did regress after the last update. I hope the next one will fix my issues.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Can I vote? Or is that considered insider trading?
Earl, for me, your vote is the most important!!!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
For those not watching the HR20 24/7, here is what I use to see if an update has happened:

I turn the circle bright leds OFF, and leave them off. When it updates, it does a reboot and the LEDs come back on. So, unless something else has gone terribly wrong and the HR20 has rebooted on its own, (which has never happened to me in two weeks of use), if I get up in the morning and see the bright blue circle of LEDs, I know that an update took place with nothing more than a glance.

Basically, I use the bright circle of LEDs as an "Update Monitor".

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
It is "probable" that an update will come in a very short number of days.

I'll know more probably tomorrow, after I hear how the testing of the latest version went over the weekend. But even if I get more information, I won't be able to post a firm date. :D

You will rarely see me list a firm dates for updates any more.
Reason being... there has simply been too many times things get changed at litteral the last moment.

·
Legend
183 Posts
hasan said:
I turn the circle bright leds OFF, and leave them off. When it updates, it does a reboot and the LEDs come back on. So, unless something else has gone terribly wrong and the HR20 has rebooted on its own, (which has never happened to me in two weeks of use), if I get up in the morning and see the bright blue circle of LEDs, I know that an update took place with nothing more than a glance.

Basically, I use the bright circle of LEDs as an "Update Monitor".
That's funny, it's the same thing I do.:D

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

I'll know more probably tomorrow, after I hear how the testing of the latest version went over the weekend. But even if I get more information, I won't be able to post a firm date. :D

Reason being... there has simply been too many times things get changed at litteral the last moment.
Earl, we understand and soft dates are just fine with me. If you have any insight as to what D*'s short list is in terms of stability, please feel free to comment.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Vinny said:
Earl, we understand and soft dates are just fine with me. If you have any insight as to what D*'s short list is in terms of stability, please feel free to comment.
:) Sure... stability is in the list of fixes... :)

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Reason being... there has simply been too many times things get changed at literally the last moment.
I guess I'm lucky that my HR20 has been working without the need for resets, without any sound or video lockups, no inadvertent mystery deletions, and basically.....great. The 45-50 programs I've scheduled and replayed, as well as those I've recorded "on the fly" have all turned out fantastic - most of which were HD programming. That said, I know some folks have had hiccups or issues.

Your updates, anecdotes, release notes, and follow-up information are all very helpful and appreciated. Some of us are anxiously waiting with baited breath, while others are interested but not as passionate - either way - thank you. :)

·
AllStar
59 Posts
I haven't had a problem since the last download. Not ONE. ( I know I just cursed myself to a complete reboot tonight, but oh well)

And, Vinny, let me be the first to say in this thread, YANKEES SUCK!!!!:hurah:

·
7 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones. Since the update last week I haven't experienced any major problems. The only interesting little quirk I had was yesterday during my local broadcast of football I was going from a SB broadcast of Cleveland/Carolina to an HD brodcast of Buffalo. Thought that was strange, it only lasted about 5 minutes. For the record I'm HDMI with a 42" Philips Plasma also have the component cables hooked up as well.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tbranan said:
And, Vinny, let me be the first to say in this thread, YANKEES SUCK!!!!:hurah:
LOL....oh well, I must say; the Yanks really disappointed me...in HD on my HR20..:(

·
Legend
127 Posts
Vinny said:
LOL....oh well, I must say; the Yanks really disappointed me...in HD on my HR20..:(
I feel your pain brother...

A-Rod needs to GO!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
YankeeFan said:
I feel your pain brother...

A-Rod needs to GO!
No it is the managers fault... I mean after all he is the one that doesn't bat, doesn't pitch, and doesn't play the field.... of course he is the problem....

Anyway...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.