DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HR10-250 (HD TiVo)
HR20
HR21

We're going on vacation, and I was thinking about bringing a receiver with us to catch up on some stuff we've saved. I'm not sure which unit we'll bring, so I'm asking about all of potential choices.

Thanks.

Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,514 Posts
AirRocker said:
Yes, they all will.

You may need a bbc to attach to the rear of the HR20 & HR21's though...
Interesting. I've not experimented with this, but what if a receiver is configured for SWM and is then disconnected. Does it still require a BBC to boot properly when the receiver is used "off-site" with no satellite line, strictly for playback?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,453 Posts
Drew2k said:
Interesting. I've not experimented with this, but what if a receiver is configured for SWM and is then disconnected. Does it still require a BBC to boot properly when the receiver is used "off-site" with no satellite line, strictly for playback?
Drew... I'm not sure... I haven't really experimented with this either... The only time I have booted my HR2x without a sat line, it did still have a bbc on it... and I think I remember reading this somewhere as well... but I could be way off base... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,652 Posts
Drew2k said:
Interesting. I've not experimented with this, but what if a receiver is configured for SWM and is then disconnected. Does it still require a BBC to boot properly when the receiver is used "off-site" with no satellite line, strictly for playback?
I can't see any reason why you would need a BBC at all. The DVRs do not need a BBC to boot when they are attached to a dish (for example when they are attached to a 3-lnb dish and are not using the BBCs) so why would they need one when they are not attached?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CJTE said:
The HR10-250 will continue to play back.

The HR20/21, eventually will time out. But its good for a couple weeks.
Thanks for all the info.

I'll bring the BBCs just in case. And it's just a one week vaca. so we should be fine within the 'window' before the unit needs a little love from DirecTV HQ.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
119 Posts
I have an HR20-700. We've had our account on hold for four months now as we're building a newe house and living with my in-laws who have *cough* cable :(

Anyway, we have no problem playing back shows we have on our DVR, even now. My kids get to watch Little Einsteins and all their shows that grandma and grandpa don't get on cable. There is no time-out, at least not on ours. Not sure if the software version matters. I'm not in front of the unit to check the version, but I know that I downloaded the latest CE just before we moved in March. Oh, and no BBC's are connected either.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Funny, I was just about to come ask this same question. I've got a HR 10-250 that's pretty much collecting dust. Can I hook it up to the cable box at my vacation place, do manual records with manual channel changes and get away with it? Basically put the input as one of the cable boxes, set it to record line in or ch. 4 or whatever for the time I want, as long as the cable box is on the correct channel, and watch it later? Or is it not going to work, so I shouldn't bother hauling it up there?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
272 Posts
admiral39 said:
I have an HR20-700. We've had our account on hold for four months now as we're building a newe house and living with my in-laws who have *cough* cable :(

Anyway, we have no problem playing back shows we have on our DVR, even now. My kids get to watch Little Einsteins and all their shows that grandma and grandpa don't get on cable. There is no time-out, at least not on ours. Not sure if the software version matters. I'm not in front of the unit to check the version, but I know that I downloaded the latest CE just before we moved in March. Oh, and no BBC's are connected either.
I just started a thread on this. Do you remember disconnecting the sat cables before putting in suspension? I can't seem to bring up the list on my suspended HR21-700 to watch some movies on it, damn these DIRECTV greedy b a s t a r d s if designed this way!!!:mad:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
texasbrit said:
I can't see any reason why you would need a BBC at all. The DVRs do not need a BBC to boot when they are attached to a dish (for example when they are attached to a 3-lnb dish and are not using the BBCs) so why would they need one when they are not attached?
Exactly. And the receiver would not know if there was a BBC or not, since there is no signal passing thru it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top