DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I do not think they would work at all after the transition... they would have no way to tune the new channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
IF you have any low-power analog TV stations / translators, your TV audio band radios would still work after Feb 17,2009. But you will not get the full power stations unless your radios can decode ATSC and extract just the audio.

The short answer is that no - your TV Band radios will not work after the shutdown.

·
Icon
760 Posts
I was thinking about this over the weekend when TS Fay was coming through. Our power went out and I had to use my TV band radio to listen to the weather/news reports for tornado warnings, etc. . . .

That does stink they won't work.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
NOAA is great for the warnings about what could happen, but TV or local radio are really good at telling you what is going on in real time.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
Read an article about this a few months ago, that all of those analog portable TVs are going to be doorstops and useless during weather-related blackouts and stuff. (And by extension, so will TV-band radios.)

I only mention it because the broadcaster reps said that The Big Plan for such situations is to use the radio instead of the TV. Analog radios will continue to work fine.

So, does that TV-band radio also have AM/FM? :)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I don't think it will be long until you can buy a reasonably priced portable TV with ATSC, but there don't seem to be any yet.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
bigshew said:
I have a couple of radios that include TV bands. Does anyone know if I'll still be able to tune in the television audio after Feb. 2009?
No, unless your radio can decode digital audio from TV stations with the VHF range.

·
Icon
760 Posts
wilbur_the_goose said:
brant, you should be using NOAA weather radio for weather warnings! Not your TV stations.
I listen to the weather band, but during bad storms the TV station's give up to the minute warnings for tornados and hurricane tracking. The NOAA station takes several minutes to get the information out. It doesn't pick up well at my house either during bad weather.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
scooper said:
It didn't look like it had a battery. It will probably suffer the same problem as other "portable" ATSC TVs have had - really needs an external antenna to work halfway decent.
The product description says it's powered by an included ac adapter.

·
Godfather
596 Posts
There are ATSC tuners that can plug into a USB slot. They are about the size of a flash drive and cost under $100. Use one on a laptop and you are all set. I am not sure if they are USB powered, but I believe that they are. Check first before buying if you want to use it during a power outage.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
jerry downing said:
There are ATSC tuners that can plug into a USB slot. They are about the size of a flash drive and cost under $100. Use one on a laptop and you are all set. I am not sure if they are USB powered, but I believe that they are. Check first before buying if you want to use it during a power outage.
I have a usb tuner(they are about $70 now) for my laptop and it shortens the battery life a good bit. a laptop with a usb tuner on battery isn't a portable TV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.