DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,805 Posts
I think there both going to die before that. Having a hard time seeing this company exists in any form within the next 5 years
Lol the fine print says good for 30 years (yea that’ll happen). The other problem is with the $250 programming limit, my Premier package will exceed that in the near future. 🤬

Reactions: Ms. J

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
Why do you think Stream might die before that?
STREAM has fewer customers to start with in what seems likely to be a game of attrition (linear pay TV). Obviously we don't know what the win/loss rates are for each platform respectively but we do know that for a significant number of subscribers, satellite is considered (rightly or wrongly) to be their only option.

What remains to be seen is how many customers it takes to support either paradigm in the long term. That seems more likely to determine how long either remains viable.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
I wonder how many subscribers it would take for DTV to consider shutting down DTV Stream and just using it for bad weather backup and the DTV APP? However, didn't they originally create DTV Stream so it would be easier to install then DTV and that would help them get rid of DTV?

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how many subscribers it would take for DTV to consider shutting down DTV Stream and just using it for bad weather backup and the DTV APP? However, didn't they originally create DTV Stream so it would be easier to install then DTV and that would help them get rid of DTV?
They hoped people that got rid of satellite would move over to their streaming service. Far more people have left satellite than they have streaming subscribers.

· Icon
850 Posts
The price hikes are not helping to attract and retain customers. Compared to Youtube Tv, Direct's Choice package will be $35 more per month, offering little more than local RSNs. Even the Entertainment package will be $10 higher than Youtube TV. Think about it, at $10 a month higher price, in 12 months that's $120 (almost two months of service from YouTube TV). Get with it, AT&T (who owns 70% of this company)!

· Hall Of Fame
5,403 Posts
The price hikes are not helping to attract and retain customers. Compared to Youtube Tv, Direct's Choice package will be $35 more per month, offering little more than local RSNs. Even the Entertainment package will be $10 higher than Youtube TV. Think about it, at $10 a month higher price, in 12 months that's $120 (almost two months of service from YouTube TV). Get with it, AT&T (who owns 70% of this company)!
Price hikes are coming to YTTV also

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Linear television is definitely going the way of the rotary phone Price hikes for streaming services have nothing to do with it
I still have a working rotary phone.

Linear will last as long as there are live sports and other live events to air. Linear and streaming are not mutually exclusive. On demand and other library based streaming services will take over for some of the linear rerun channels, but there has been and will continue to be linear channels for people who don't want to search for something to watch. Those viewers will just watch what is on looking at the remaining linear channels.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts