DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Hall Of Fame
I still have a working rotary phone.

Linear will last as long as there are live sports and other live events to air. Linear and streaming are not mutually exclusive. On demand and other library based streaming services will take over for some of the linear rerun channels, but there has been and will continue to be linear channels for people who don't want to search for something to watch. Those viewers will just watch what is on looking at the remaining linear channels.
Your reply goes exactly to my point

Registered
A rotary phone is a type of telephone that uses a rotary dial to generate the electrical pulses that are sent to the telephone exchange to initiate a telephone call. The user would pick up the handset, then rotate the dial to the desired number. The dial would then return to its original position, signaling the exchange to connect the call.

The rotary dial is a circular disk with the digits of the telephone number printed on it. The user would insert their finger into a small hole in the center of the dial, and rotate the dial to the desired number. As the dial rotated, a set of mechanical contacts inside the phone would be activated, generating the electrical pulses that were sent to the telephone exchange. This method of dialing was used for many decades and became the standard for home and business phones.

The rotary phone has become less common in recent years, as touch-tone phones and cell phones have become more popular. However, rotary phones can still be found in some homes and businesses, particularly in older buildings or in locations where a more modern phone would be inappropriate. Rotary phones are also used by people who prefer the tactile feedback of a physical dial and the nostalgia of using an old-fashioned phone.

COURTESY OF CHATGPT OPENAI

Registered
Linear television is definitely going the way of the rotary phone Price hikes for streaming services have nothing to do with it
And you are wrong about that. There are many people that still have linear television with no internet and no cable/satellite that receive over the air signals. Many people will still have linear television signals for many decades to come.

Super Moderator
Your reply goes exactly to my point
Your point was linear channels would live on for the foreseeable future? Cool.

BTW: A little extra help for those who have not experienced a rotary dial phone.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
And you are wrong about that. There are many people that still have linear television with no internet and no cable/satellite that receive over the air signals. Many people will still have linear television signals for many decades to come.
You might be getting linear channels for decades but what kind of content are you going to have after everything has moved to streaming only?

Super Moderator
You can鈥檛 see beyond your own opinion. What I said stands.
What the hell did you say? One post claims linear is dying and then when a detailed explanation of why linear will survive is posted you make a post that agrees with the content. Make ONE prediction and stick with it. Don't be so wishy-washy.

Beware the Attack Basset
@spiderman865 - We need another thread about the ancient device. The thread about DTV lifetime sub !
Other than finding out whether or not anyone actually wins and how far past the deadline DIRECTV will be in making their announcement, what else is there to talk about?

Registered
You might be getting linear channels for decades but what kind of content are you going to have after everything has moved to streaming only?
Local Channels for one thing. I don鈥檛 see them going away anytime soon. Local News & Weather are still needed by millions. It鈥檚 not like you鈥檙e gonna receive the major networks from distant places like New York or L.A. like back in the days when some could receive distant networks.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Local Channels for one thing. I don鈥檛 see them going away anytime soon. Local News & Weather are still needed by millions. It鈥檚 not like you鈥檙e gonna receive the major networks from distant places like New York or L.A. like back in the days when some could receive distant networks.
There are many options to get local news and weather other than OTA television. But hey if that is all you need for your television viewing have fun. The major networks are already putting shows on streaming only and I have to believe that is going to increase during the subscriber purge from cable/sat TV that is only going to get worse.

Beware the Attack Basset
There are many options to get local news and weather other than OTA television.
Most of my local broadcasters offer both websites and on-demand streaming options to see their news and weather information.

DBSTalk Club Member
OTA is on it's way out I think. Today, everything is about MONEY and the stations are owned by corporations. The costs of operating an OTA station are high. 50,000 watts? Big power bill. Big spaces for the transmitters. And maintaining a transmitting site and tower can't be cheap. Wonder what space on Sutro Tower in SF rents for a month? Many have already given up having their own news crews and weather and get it from a network. The ones that are here may last a while, but I can't imagine any new ones. Especially once satellite internet gets faster and cheaper.
It's a shame, because in a national crisis, being able to get news from a battery powered radio that is portable and could work over long distances would be important. Maybe some towers will still be up but festooned with cell antennas?

Beware the Attack Basset
50,000 watts? Big power bill. Big spaces for the transmitters.
Probably not as much or as big as you think. They're not using vacuum tubes anymore.

50,000W ERP doesn't require 50KW of electricity; it is probably more like 12KW.

Registered
Odd, fine print states it is a targeted email and open only to existing customers. Non-subs not eligible? What in the world is their Marketing dept. thinking? What a way to mine email addresses!
Looks more like a desperate attempt to mine cell phone numbers to me. They have my email for my bill. They have my landline for phone#. Do not link your cell# to an email address used to pay a bill or log on to financial accounts. Storing your identity with a company is trusting that company with your financial security.
For security reasons and to limit the constant barrage of advertisements they do not need my cell #. The cell phone/smart phone is not safe or secure. Matching your identity to it is extreme risk. The only thing less secure is a paper check. Do not associate your cell phone # with your finance in anyway. Bank or credit card apps for sure! They can be hacked.
Think of all those poor saps that listed out their Personal Identifiable Identity, their hackable accounts, to Life Lock. Now their identity is linked to a list of accounts. All the thief needs now is a little patience and an app to tinker with to steal all they need. Once they establish the ability to link between 2 of the accounts, they can take what they want. Not necessary to "steal" your identity when they are provided it. They set it up so you send the money to them. The bank or institution is off the hook.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts