DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
What if Dish Network buys them? Then they either merge DTV and Dish and merge DTV Stream and Sling TV. Or just offer DirecTV and DirecTV Stream as separate services? Would that save them?
It will be the end of an era.
Already your DTV HBO subscription has been limited. No more can you watch all of the content without streaming. Not all HBO content can even be DVR'd. You are forced to watch a stream without the simplicity of fast forward or picking up where you left off the day before.
Dish was never as good at that as DTV and the content on Dish is lacking as well.
I will miss DTV if it is eliminated. I won't be able to watch OTA. DVR live broadcast is necessary to fast forward through commercials and needless content.
The end is inevitable. Already the movie theater is obsolete. Now movies don't make the millions they once did. Now that Bezo's owns MGM the EPIX format or rent by ransom from DTV is beginning to fail. EPIX is MGM and the stream to DVR eliminated to rent by ransom directly from DTV as middleman or catch it while it is on the MGM+ channel and DVR. Many of the new movies are now available via rent by ransom from DTV as well. No longer are the usual formats available for viewing, HBO/CMAX STARZ SHO TMC....
Those costly blockbusters are a thing of the past.

· Registered
150 Posts
I can feel it. I am going to WIN DTV PRIZE!! I wonder how many they will be giving out????

· Registered
1,830 Posts
It will be the end of an era.
Already your DTV HBO subscription has been limited. No more can you watch all of the content without streaming. Not all HBO content can even be DVR'd. You are forced to watch a stream without the simplicity of fast forward or picking up where you left off the day before.
Dish was never as good at that as DTV and the content on Dish is lacking as well.
I will miss DTV if it is eliminated. I won't be able to watch OTA. DVR live broadcast is necessary to fast forward through commercials and needless content.
The end is inevitable. Already the movie theater is obsolete. Now movies don't make the millions they once did. Now that Bezo's owns MGM the EPIX format or rent by ransom from DTV is beginning to fail. EPIX is MGM and the stream to DVR eliminated to rent by ransom directly from DTV as middleman or catch it while it is on the MGM+ channel and DVR. Many of the new movies are now available via rent by ransom from DTV as well. No longer are the usual formats available for viewing, HBO/CMAX STARZ SHO TMC....
Those costly blockbusters are a thing of the past.
I think with Dish Network you can add the locals for $12 a month.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I can feel it. I am going to WIN DTV PRIZE!! I wonder how many they will be giving out????
4. WINNER SELECTION AND ODDS:

On or around February 3, 2023, Administrator will randomly select one (1) Grand Prize winner and ten (10) First Prize winners from among all Eligible Entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. All random drawings will be conducted under the supervision of Sponsor, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of Eligible Entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. Limit one (1) prize per person.

5. PRIZES:

a) One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive DIRECTV service for life (Terms and Conditions apply to DIRECTV service). The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $198,000.

b) Ten (10) First Prize winners will each receive: Six (6) months of DIRECTV service up to $250.00 per month. The ARV of each Prize is $1,500.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $198,000.
Ha! That works out to 66 years at $250 per month. Perhaps the "maximum retail value" if a young person wins and DIRECTV survives another 66 years.

$198k ... funniest thing I have seen all day,

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Random thought, when we put our info in these contests does that blow up our phone for spam?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
You must not be a DTV customer. Dish never came close and ATT is changing the service as only for profit.
Like AT&T, this would be largely an issue of DISH gaining subscribers (bargaining power), not anything else that DIRECTV is or was.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
I still have a working rotary phone.

Linear will last as long as there are live sports and other live events to air. Linear and streaming are not mutually exclusive. On demand and other library based streaming services will take over for some of the linear rerun channels, but there has been and will continue to be linear channels for people who don't want to search for something to watch. Those viewers will just watch what is on looking at the remaining linear channels.
This. How long is the current NFL schedule? Ten years? It will last at least that long. My bet is it will last much longer, but, over time it will no longer be the primary way most of the population watches TV. I'd be willing to bet it's STILL the primary way, despite the loss of lots of cable/Sat subs. Between Sat/Cable/OTA and OTT services, I'm sure it's still more than 50%. As the older generations no longer watch it will start to become less important. But I bet by the time that happens, even the new methods of watching TV will be old too and something else will come along that we aren't even thinking about. That's how tech works.

26,461 Posts
How long is the current NFL schedule? Ten years?
I don't believe that there is any hard and fast relationship between linear channels and the NFL (or MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.).

Streaming is capable of delivering both live and delayed content. They've been doing it for years with various sports and event PPV programming. There may be room for improvement, but the gap isn't wide enough to save linear's bacon.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
I don't believe that there is any hard and fast relationship between linear channels and the NFL (or MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.).

Streaming is capable of delivering both live and delayed content. They've been doing it for years with various sports and event PPV programming. There may be room for improvement, but the gap isn't wide enough to save linear's bacon.
They don't have contracts with FOX, CBS, NBC and ESPN/ABC? That seems pretty hard and fast. I don't think when those contracts were signed that streaming was in the forefront of any of those contracts. I agree about the other leagues, but not for the NFL. The ratings on linear channels are still huge, generating HUGE amounts of ad revenue and it's still the way most folks consume the NFL. I don't think the networks would be ready to give that up any time soon. Certainly not during the length of the current contracts for the amount of money they are paying.

26,461 Posts
They don't have contracts with FOX, CBS, NBC and ESPN/ABC?
They do but contracts don't last forever and they are typically subject to amendment. CBS and NBC are pretty well placed to move to their respective streaming platforms (Paramount+ and Peacock Premium) should that be the direction they choose in the future (and contracts allowing). Fox and ESPN probably could as well. We'd have to see what happens in the event ESPN somehow becomes separated from ABC.

Do you have a list of the current contract expiration dates?

· Icon
2,263 Posts
They do but contracts don't last forever and they are typically subject to amendment. CBS and NBC are pretty well placed to move to their respective streaming platforms (Paramount+ and Peacock Premium) should that be the direction they choose in the future (and contracts allowing). Fox and ESPN probably could as well. We'd have to see what happens in the event ESPN somehow becomes separated from ABC.

Do you have a list of the current contract expiration dates?
The new contracts that were done in 2021 start next season and expire in 2033. There's an opt out in 8 years. So, I think at least for the next 8 years, things will be status quo. There are some more streaming scenarios built in, but still mostly linear for now. After 8 years? We'll see where we are. Streaming could wind up bombing out, could still be extremely successful, could consolidate or expand. We just don't know. But at least for the next 8 years, linear TV will be alive (though not so well).

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
$10 billion per year in contracts covering the live linear presentation of NFL games over their broadcast partners. The new contracts start this fall and include the network's streaming outlets. The 2014 contracts totaled just under $5 billion.

Do you expect the NFL to simply go away at the end of the contracts? I expect that they will seek even more money (in 2033 dollars). There is an early out (in seven years - the YouTube contract was given a seven year length to match the minimum broadcast contract). But regardless of what happens in 2030, the NFL has a long term relationship with their broadcast partners (who are now also streaming partners).

As noted previously, sports is not the only programming that WILL keep linear alive. There are some things in life that are best seen live. I don't expect "must see TV" to end within my lifetime - and I have a few years left.

26,461 Posts
There are some things in life that are best seen live.
As someone who lives on the West Coast, sports and news live shots are about all we see that is close to live. There is the occasional awards show that is live but programs like Dancing With the Stars and others that invite viewer participation are delivered to us as pre-recorded (even if they originated on the West Coast).

41 - 60 of 61 Posts