DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
My first impression of Win 8 (thank god for virtual machines!) had me uninstalling it in about 60 minutes of "typical" use for me. My new Lenovo laptop (scratch and dent from their website - but seems ok) came with Win8.1 - Classic shell and booting to desktop have made it much more palatable to me (and yes I work support in a corporate environment). I'm going to let someone else play with Win10 first before I commit. I better not have to buy a new printer (HP DJ6940) .

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
It depends on the size of the customer, their computing environment, and how much they are spending for your service. Especially how much they are spending for your service. And trust me, there are some companies that, for regulatory reasons, are extremely slow in rolling out updates unless it is thoroughly vetted.

How draconian are some of these companies? In some cases, you have to log in to a remote desktop and cannot change anything on the desktop.
Try building airplanes for example. Some tools are vetted only for specific versions of Windows on SPECIFIC MODELS OF PCs.with specific hardware - programs that interface with where a rivet hole is drilled, etc. - That's the customer I'm supporting (although I'm an email admin, so I don't have to deal with that problem).

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
I've gone from Win 7 to 8 to 10 with relatively few problems. My desktop computer is about six years old now, though, and it may be time to replace it.
My laptop is in the same boat, and now I must have broke something on the motherboard because I don't get full ethernet / USB speed anymore. Broke it hitting on it to quiet loud fan.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
I've spent time this week upgrading an OLD Dell Inspiron 1720 (came out with Vista on it, was last running Win7 Pro) to Win 10 Pro (32 bit). After getting rid of the old win7 files - it's actually faster and leaves much more disk space. Needed to update the Dell BIOS from A04 to A09 (from 2008), then upgrading went like a champ (Yes it will run on 3 and even 2GB RAM (we also have a Lenovo Netbook).

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
Oh god yes on the slow Hard drive. I had bought a new laptop, 16 GB of RAM, AMD Ryzen Processor, and 1 TB 5400 RPM hard drive. Slow as crap. Upgrade to a 1TB SSD - HOLY COW IS IT FAST !!!!!! Power on to Login screen in 15 or so seconds on Win 10 Home. Updates - well, I have a 500 Mbps Google Fiber connection (slowed down right now to run QOS on my router so IP phones work better). Upgrades / etc. run really fast now.

I have also upgraded an OLD Dell Inspiron 1720 - 2 320GB hard drives. replacing them with a 500 GB SSD did wonders on that old beast as well. I think the SSD did more for speed on that than upgrading the RAM from 3 GB to 4 GB ( this afternoon's project).

If you can - I'd strongly suggest upgrading any PC to using an SSD boot drive, and on a desktop keep a Hard drive for storage with the SSD boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts