DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Over the past few days, I've noticed a Windows 10 start screen icon in the task bar of my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. Hover on it and you get the message "Get Windows 10" displayed. I'm leery of doing it for now, because I have a number of programs (Partiacularly Office 2010) on both of these computers, that will have to be reinstalled. Of course, I have to back up all my data files (douments and pictures) before doing the installation.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
Back when we had regular vehicles before those junky imports started showing up not very good of a reputation. But, now with those junky Toyotas, Mazdas, Nissans a Rambler would put all of those junky cars to shame. Been better if this country would is those imports would never been sold here.
You're kidding, of course? You might be well advised to look at the reviews of these brands in Consumer Reports, Car & Driver and Motor Trend. You'd find that all make quality cars. I've owned Hondas and Toyotas and would stake them at any of the traditionallly "American " cars Ii've owned - Chevys, Fords, Plymouths. My current car is a Toyota Prius, which is probabl the best quality car I've ever owned.
All the "foreign" brands you've mentioned have plants in America. Here's a list from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html

As to the Rambler: It was considered to be the first American compact car. Ramblers were produced only from 1950 until 1958.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
As of now, I have not received download of Windows 10 on either of my computers. It's understandable on my Windows 7 computer because it's not powered on most of the time. My primary computer (this one, Windows 8.1) is currently set to power down after an hour of inactivity. I'm wondering if I should change my power management scheme to leave power on, just sign me out after a half hour. Any thoughts?

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Still waiting somewhat impatiently for upgrades to my two eligible computers. I had preordered back on June 4. So much for early orders!

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Have you tried clicking on the Windows 10 symbol in the lower right hand side of the task bar ?
On my computers when I did that they immediately started the download.
I've done that on a regular basis. I get the message stating that my upgrade is reserved and I'll be notified when Windows is ready to install. Of course, I could use the Windows Creation Tool, but I'd feel more comfortable with the normal download & install process.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Automated upgrade kicked in and completed on my Windows 7 machine--64 bit. It took about 45 minutes. I selected my existing Internet options, instead of Edge, so am using Chrome with no problems. Now, I can explore Win 10 at my leisure.

Reactions: jimmie57

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Used the Windows Creation Tool to update my primary computer this morning. All went well so far. I had a bit of a scare when logging on to complete setup. I thought that Windows wasn't accepting my password. It took several tries, but finall took. I use a strong password with caps and lowercase, numbers and special characters, so it's easy to goof up when touch typing with old, arthritic fingers. :grin:

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
The new Task Manager is quite nice, with lots more features, including a list of all the startup programs and their impact on start time, along with checkboxes to enable/disable them.

One problem I've found - the drive image I thought I'd made turned out to be empty. Also, my piture and documents folders have been scrubbed. I'm trying to locate them. Hopefully, I will be able to recover them from my Seagate Backup plus drive.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Open File Viewer and see if you have One Drive or Camera Roll or similar. There was a box to use that instead of where you had pics, etc. They might just be moved to one of the new locations. Good luck.
Unfortunately, Camera Roll is empty. I have about a half dozen recent pics and the other day, I found a link to photos ending in w012, but didn't import them. Now, I'll have to try again.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I'm having a strange problem onmy primary deesktop computer (which I'm using at the moment). When it wakes up after sleeping, Windows loses all wireless networks. At times, this also happens while the computer is running.. If I go into Device manager, I see that there is supposedly a driver problem with my TP-Link Archer T4U wireless dual band USB network adapter. Sometimes, if I disable/enable the adapter, it becomes recognized, but not connected. If I attempt to connect it, the taskbar icon goes from no connection available to available to connected and then back to unavailable. . If I restart the computer, it usually comes up connected. Although the adapter is USB 3.0 compatible, I've been using it on USB 2.

I've been using the 5 GHz radio on my DLink wireless AC router for my computers and Samsung Galaxy Tab4 tablet, and the 2.4 GHz radio for most other devices.

Interesstingly, my refurb Dell Optiplex 760 computer, running Windows 10 64 bit, has no problems connecting, using a Netgear dual band Wireless-N USB adapter.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I'm aving two frequent problems with Windows 10, which may or may not be due to the OS. My Seagate Backup Plus drive is quite often not recognized on startup. If I unplug/replug it, it usually is recognized. My TP -Link Archer T4U AC1200 wireless adapter often fails to be recognized on startup and requires a restart in order to be recognized. Further, it is not recognized upon my PC waking up from sleep status, once again requiring a restart. Both devices have the latest version of their drivers.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
When I shu down my computer last night, it did a "Upgrade and shut down". Upon startup this morning, the upgrade was installed. This is OS build 10586.420, dated June 14.
For information on update history, go to Settings, Update and Security, Windows Update -- then click on "learn more"

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I was able to get it last night. It's a big update, so be prepared for a lengthy update process. Download and installation took almost two hours.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I started the update on my refurbed Dell 760 computer at 6:30 last night. First, the malicious software removal tool had to be updated, as well as Windows being updated to the latest pre-Anniversary level. That all took about an hour. Then I used the :"learn more" link to download the Anniversary edition. During the download, I went to the store to pick up a few thins and then ate dinner. When I got back to the computer, I found the update had crashed. A suggestion was to disable antivirus software and I did so in Task Manager, then tried again. Once again, the update started with the download and then crashed after about an hour. I checked MS support and was informed that I should disable any external drives and disable all startup tasks except internet related tasks and those for display, keyboard and mouse. By now it was around midnight. I started the update again (with download, of course :bang ) and this time it was a success - ending around 2 a.m. :sleeping:

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
WestDC said:
my win pro machine says "No updates" are their you are up to date?
I saw the same message on my computer with Windows Pro when I went to Windows Update. However, when I selected "Check for Updates", I found updates were indeed available and downloaded them.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Try using Edge.
I went from Explorer to Opera to Firefox to Chrome over the years. I'm happy with Chrome. I've tried Edge, and ambivalent about it

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Thanks. I will get that one now and see if it helps my internet explorer. It has a problem every day now.
Internet Explorer was discontinued by Microsoft, having been replaced by Microsoft Edge. Windows Explorer 11 was the last version to be released, and is still supported to some degree.

However, over 331 million people have switched from Internet Explorer and Edge to either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjH_vC-55rQAhWnIsAKHcq5DawQqQIIQjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techtimes.com%2Farticles%2F184869%2F20161106%2F331-million-microsoft-internet-explorer-edge-users-moved-to-google-chrome-and-mozilla-firefox-this-year.htm&usg=AFQjCNE0FqXoyOv5rjWehU65Kxs4XrdEsw&sig2=rBrEP-eMUhwckOJpORPeZA

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I did the update on my primary computer yesterday - took just over a half hour, including restarts.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Windows 10 update 1709
KB4073291 (OS Build 16299.201)
was automatically downloaded to my computer last night. Unfortunately, configuration hung my computer overnight and I was finally forced to shut the computer down and start it up again. Windows automatically repaired itself and is now running okay. Microsoft reports that this release has problems with some antivirus software, which probably explains my problem. I'm using Malwarebytes premium and McAfee LiveSafe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts