DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Here's my ongoing Win10 story...
I received the free upgrade notification weeks ago.
Two weeks ago, the day before vacation, our PC would not boot. Boot Bar filled 3/4 then stopped.
Bah! Going on vacation...power down

Back from vacation and working the issue.
When trying to boot from my SSD, I get "BOOTMGR missing ctl-alt-del to restart". Evidently something happened.
When I installed the SSD, I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software to copy the old drive to the SSD. Since the old Win 7 boot files were still on the old hard drive, I was able to boot to it.
Now the oddities. Windows reports its not genuine and won't let me fix it. The SSD doesn't show in Explorer. I had to go into diskmgmt and assign it a letter.
Still won't boot - same BOOTMGR issue. Tried a Macrium backup image restore to the SSD. Worked, but same BOOTMGR issue.
Thought to myself, "I'll just do a clean install of Win10!" I figured I had already received the notification so I was OK. D/l'ed the Win10 iso.

Nope. Can't update if it appears there's no valid Win 7 present.

So, I can't update, I don't have a Win 7 iso to re-install, Dell won't talk to me since I'm out of warranty.

Any ideas?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I have no install disk. OEM PCs don't come with them. I tried to get Dell to provide one but they don't support the model PC anymore and were no help - unless I wanted to purchase Win 7 outright for $119. I can't download the iso (legally) either since I have an OEM copy.

Some articles/forums I've visited said if I could borrow a Win 7 install disk I could probably use my OEM product key to re-install. Just need to find someone with one.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Just a few notes...

You can't do a clean install on Win10 unless there is a previous good install of Win 7 or 8.

I have seen quite a few people who used 'Paragon Migrate OS to SSD' software and had issues upgrading to Win10.

I have a repair disk on the way. I'm not convinced this will help. I have a Macrium Rescue Disk and it couldn't repair the SSD OS.

I have a Dell contact who may be able to get me a Win7 disk.

I replaced the SSD in my laptop which I used for Win10 testing (upgraded to Win10 Pro perfectly). I have the old laptop drive with Win 7 on it. I may attach to PC and clone to SSD. Or create a recovery disk.

Still working the issue and thanks for all the ideas.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Yesterday I was browsing Windows forums trying to find a fix to my Win7 boot/Win 10 upgrade issue.
I decided to give the Dell Recovery bit a try. F11 on boot brought up a Boot Manager screen. BOOTMGR was missing from my Win7 SSD setup. On the screen was an option to "boot to last known good configuration". Select, and ENTER.
WooHoo! Booted into my previously unbootable SSD. Now I can update.to Win10. Uh oh. Not so fast laddie. Error code 8007005. Basically I don't have permission to install.

OK, further research tells me I still have BOOT issues, and I'm basically booted into a non-user account. Several posts mentioned Microsoft having them downloading and running a Windows repair tool from Tweaking.com. So, I did. Ran the tool which took quite a while, over an hour.

At the end it said time to reboot. Uh oh, this is where I've had my issues.

YAY! Booted into my SSD for the first time since Aug 7.

Ran Windows Update (took forever) and there's Win10. I left it installing when I came to work. We'll see where it is when I get home.

Thanks to all who offered help. I may be close to getting it done.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Anyone else having the Runtime Broker issue? It's a process in Win 10 (also in Win 8). If there's a bad app Runtime Broker can run your CPU up to 40% and hog over a gig of memory. The process is easy to kill but evidently its difficult to figure out what's causing it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
After my fight with my SSD and finally getting Win 10 to install, I've run into an odd problem...and I guess I'm not the only one.

I can't move my desktop icons. They will re-arrange if I change the way they are viewed, but can't move them individually.

I've tried many of the 'fixes' out there but none have worked. I have not created a new userid yet. That seems drastic.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Did you Right click on an open space on the Desktop, Then Click on View and Uncheck the mark by Auto Arrange or Align Icons to Grid ?
Yes, all the obvious items have been tried. Some have had this issue with Stardock's Fences program. My next step is to uninstall Fences.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
dpeters11 said:
What version did you have? It looks like Fences Free and Pro are not compatible, you have to use Fences 2.
I was running Fences Pro version 2.13, the latest. Stardock has yet to acknowledge there is an issue. The ununstall and reboot resolved the problem.

Reactions: jimmie57

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
My next possible Win 10 issue is the process Runtime Broker. I know it was an issue starting with Win 8. Some 'app' I have will cause Runtime Broker to consume up to 3+GB of memory and run the CPU up to 40+ percent. Evidently it's an application issue which will require some update. The problem, of course, is figuring out which app is causing the problem.

Now I've found MS Edge doing similar things (one instance anyway)

Anyone have words of wisdom for working out the offending apps, besides killing one process at a time and waiting hours to see if Runtime Broker ramps up?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I found this article about the Runtime Broker.
http://www.technorms.com/18510/running-ram-windows-8-runtime-broker-figure

After reading it, I opened the Weather app and then the Picture app and the number went up from the previous 7.9 MB to 10 MB.
According to the article it is definitely an app with faulty software code.
As I had read too, it seems some app is the culprit. The article says 'Metro' apps for Win 8, but for Win 10 I guess they would be Start Menu apps? I guess the only solution is wait until Runtime Broker ramps, kill it, kill one process/procram and see if Runtime kicks up high again. This overall proess should only take a few weeks!

FYI, it doesn't happen when my wife is logged in so may be a game...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Are any of the Apps you run setup to Autostart ?
If yes, you might disable that and start them individually and see which one causes the increase .
Yes, lots of Autostart programs. Yesterday when I got home from work, Runtime Broker was eating 4.28GB of RAM and 50% CPU. Eek.
I should take pics of my wife's task manager vs mine and see what the difference is. Her Runtime Broker doesn't ramp up.

Reactions: jimmie57

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
UPDATE TO RUNTIME BROKER ISSUE:
I have been stopping programs/processes alphabetically. I did notice my wife never has an issue, so with both users up, I've been killing single run programs/processes through Task Manager. So far no joy. Yesterday RB was gobbling up 4.86 GB of memory. yowza!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Lol, Yes I did. I still haven't found the culprit. It's odd because I got home from work yesterday expecting to see multi-gig usage, but RB was quiet. The PC had been sitting for about 20 hours. Makes me wonder if it's Macrium Reflect which runs autonomously in the background backing up files.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I just checked for updates and there it was. Took about 30 minutes total...I think. I went to bed :sleeping:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts