DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Rich said:
OK, in clear layman's language, should I keep 8.1 and the skin that allows me to use 8.1 as System 7 or should I take the leap and go for 10? I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. I was gonna PM you and ask you the same question but I think it's better to do it on the open forum. Right now, I'm absolutely happy with my computers. But I'm curious about 10.

Rich
I too am happy with Win 8.1. I will probably plunge for the free Win 10 upgrade but not until much later this year. I also have a Win 7 laptop that I will upgrade and probably do that much sooner than changing my desktop computer.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Rich said:
I read your posts and all I can think of is how ignorant I am. My own fault for just using computers instead of learning how they work.

Rich
I know how computers work. You push the power button and wait. And to turn them off you push the start button (doesn't seem intuitive).

I also know how electricity works. You push the wall button and the light comes on. You don't have to wait.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Win 10 is a FREE upgrade, which is a first for Microsoft operating systems. If you don't want it, fine, but quit griping about it. Anyone that unhappy with Microsoft should switch to Macintosh, Android, or Linux.

Frankly I'm looking forward to the upgrade but definitely not on the 29th.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
jimmie57 said:
In case you have not tried it.
Click on the new Windows symbol in the lower left hand corner of the task bar,
go up to Internet Explorer and do not click on it, instead click on the arrow to the right.
This opens up the last places you visited.
Click on one of those and it takes you right to it instead of opening IE on the start page.
This eliminates opening on the start page and then choosing Favorites and then finding the favorite and clicking on it.
Cool, Mikey Likes it.

Also, even tho it is still IE11 it appears to be a lot more compatible for playing videos, etc. than it did when I ran it in Win 7. I think this improvement is from Win 10.
I am not seeing this on my IE11 browser in Win 10. I only see two tasks when I click on the arrow next to IE -- start inprivate browsing, open new task. However I have set Chrome as my default browser rather than Edge or IE, which may make a difference.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Mine has the last 8 ? sites I have gone to. One of them is DBS talk New Content.
Maybe because you are not using it, or maybe you have IE set to clear the History on Exit.
Yes, I had "clear history on exit" set. I turned that off and see my recent sites now. Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
dmspen said:
You can't do a clean install on Win10 unless there is a previous good install of Win 7 or 8.
I believe you can, but you would either have to buy Windows 10 or possibly do the clean install after you installed the Win 10 upgrade.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
armophob said:
Am I alone with ctrl alt delete/ task manager not working?
I get a menu with ctrl alt delete, but I cannot select any of the options and I have to hit escape to get out of the screen.
My wireless Microsoft mouse works. I can also use the Tab key to move between selections on the Menu. Task Manager is one of the eight selections available, including the three icons (Connect to Internet, Ease of Access and Shut Down) at the bottom right of the screen.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Cholly said:
I'm aving two frequent problems with Windows 10, which may or may not be due to the OS. My Seagate Backup Plus drive is quite often not recognized on startup. If I unplug/replug it, it usually is recognized. My TP -Link Archer T4U AC1200 wireless adapter often fails to be recognized on startup and requires a restart in order to be recognized. Further, it is not recognized upon my PC waking up from sleep status, once again requiring a restart. Both devices have the latest version of their drivers.
Check your cable connections if you haven't already done so. My Seagate Free Agent 1.5 GB drive is working well with Windows 10. My wireless adapter lost the Internet once coming out of sleep mode; otherwise it's working fine.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
I'd like to see Windows 10 stick around for ten years or so. If an upgrade to Windows 11 is free I'll probably take it a few months after it happens.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
cmartin1950 said:
Two bad things I see with this is:
1. Once you upgrade to Win 10, you cannot go back to Wins 7 or 8. Win 7 and 8 are working good, so If something is not broke don't try to fix it.
2. Since when has MS offered anything for Free? I would bet that MS is conspirng with the NSA
Since last July for Windows 10 upgrade! And you can call 1-800-MICROSOFT free if you are having problems directly related to Windows 10.

I have also been using MS Expression Web 4, a free download, for several years to manage a website that I run.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
After a week of waiting for an automatic update to the anniversary edition I used "check for updates" to download and install the new version on my laptop. That took about 90 minutes and worked well. A couple days later I did the same thing for my desktop computer. That took about 60 minutes and also worked well.

I don't notice much difference between the new and older versions. I did add AdBlock to my Edge browser, now that the browser accepts extensions.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
I know MS says you can keep on working while the update installs but I always let the updates proceed without trying to run any other programs on my desktop computer. So far so good.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
I got an update and restart notice yesterday afternoon. It took seven minutes for the new version to install and restart. I don't call that a lengthy time.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 Build: 14393.1066 (KB4015217) rolled out today. Lengthy download/install/restart so set time aside if you plan to update manually.
I got this update yesterday. Manual download/install/restart took about ten minutes, which I don't consider lengthy.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
I downloaded Microsoft's Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and used it to install the Creator's update on my desktop (took about two hours) and my laptop (took about three hours.) The desktop was originally a Win 8 and the laptop a Win 7. My only hiccup was having to uninstall and reinstall Printmaster 18 after the update.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
If you are talking about the Creator's Update the download/install/reboot cycle took well over two hours on my laptop, about 1 1/2 hours on my desktop. I don't remember how long the "getting ready" process took on either machine. Glad it finally worked for you!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 Build: 15063.608 (KB4038788) has been released. Set time aside if you plan on doing a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new system features.
Download/install/restart took about 15 minutes for this update.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts