DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
If there is a "catch" I believe the free upgrade is supposed to be for the life of the machine. Still, the fact that they are doing this for both Windows 7 and 8.x is good. The offer is good for the first year.

Keep in mind, even after it's released, there are things that still won't be ready. Edge won't have a system for extensions at launch for example. That will be released later.

I'm using the Insider program on a system I use daily. These higher builds work very well.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Though if anyone actually uses WIndows 7 Starter or Home Basic, they'll essentially get an upgrade in edition to Home. Home Premium to Home, but that's not actually a downgrade in edition.

Windows 8 users must be on 8.1 to upgrade.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
I'm generally recommending upgrading in the first year, particularly for those with 8.1. Windows 7, I'd probably still suggest it, though as long as systems are off it by end of year 2019, I'm good :)

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Rich said:
OK, in clear layman's language, should I keep 8.1 and the skin that allows me to use 8.1 as System 7 or should I take the leap and go for 10? I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. I was gonna PM you and ask you the same question but I think it's better to do it on the open forum. Right now, I'm absolutely happy with my computers. But I'm curious about 10.

Rich
My advice is get rid of Start8 or Classic Shell and go to Windows 10. It will default to a start menu.

This page has screenshots of an older version, and is about how to manually switch, but it has screenshots that show what both look like. The Windows 10 start menu isn't the same as Windows 7.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-swap-between-start-menu-and-start-screen

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
James Long said:
I am happier with Win 7 than 8.1 ... if Win 10 is a free upgrade forever (not a lease after the first year) and runs like Win 7 I'll go for it. I do not want a subscription operating system (although the way work pays for licenses and support, they basically have been using a subscription operating system for years).
There won't be a fee after the first year. It's just that at this point if you don't upgrade within the first year, the upgrade won't be free after that.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
mrknowitall526 said:
I can't stand the whole flat/simple graphics look. all of the screen shots of seen of Windows 10 have the UI of what looks like Windows 3.1, especially the titles of windows.

Computers are getting more advanced than ever, especially with graphics, why do we keep going backwards in the graphics area??
Flat is in, skeuomorphism is out. But I think the UI needs to be kept fairly simple.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
harsh said:
I'd feel much safer in making that statement if Microsoft hadn't trademarked "Windows 365" recently.
What they may do is have the subscription for new features, etc. But a subscription to keep using Windows 10 as it is at that point or for security updates? No.

I will say that if they do that, it needs to be after things like the extension system is ready for Edge, etc.

Or it could just be that they trademarked it to get it. This happens all the time.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
On your laptop, download CoreInfo
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722.aspx

Run it from a command prompt

If it is 32 bit, look for a * by these lines:
NX
PAE
SSE2

64 bit:
CX16
LAHF-SAHF
PrefetchW (very bottom of the list)

I've also seen cases, at least with CX16 that the processor may support it, but not the motherboard.

If it detects the system as not compatible, you won't see the tray icon.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Hmm...not sure why you're not getting the icon, unless it's not your motherboard that isn't compatible.

I believe they say that they'll unhide it at some point on incompatible systems so they can see what's preventing them from installing.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Try this:

1. Open Notepad
  2. Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

1. Click File, and then Save As

2. In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

3. Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

4. Select the folder you would like to save the file to. For this example, let's choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder. Then click Save.

5. Open an elevated command prompt. (From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

6. Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6. In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:
    C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 - 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.
If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don't have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:
For Windows 7 SP1:
KB3035583
KB2952664
For Windows 8.1 Update:
KB3035583
KB2976978

You can manually check if you have these updates within your elevated command prompt by typing the command:

dism /online /get-packages | findstr 3035583

(Replace the KB number with whichever update you are looking for.) If you have the update installed, this command will show the package identity. For example, Windows 8.1 users should see this:

C:\>dism /online /get-packages | findstr 3035583
Package Identity : Package_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.29

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Generally consumers will get Home (that's normally what people buy and companies like Dell load on their consumer line). Surface Pro tablets will get Pro.

Moving from Home to Pro will cost $100.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Try this one, there is a changed error level.

REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "1" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
This may also work

1. Open the Control Panel, choose Administrative Tools, and then fire up the Task Scheduler.
  2. Expand Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft, then Windows, and finally scroll down to expand Setup.
  3. Click the folder GWXTriggers and on the far right hit Run.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts