DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I took the plunge on my desktop. Took about 35 minutes until login, then another 10 minutes to complete setup.

Desktop looks much the same with the Win7 look of the taskbar that I had, plus a few additions.

Explorer defaults to Edge, so I dug out a shortcut to IE while I try Edge and get things the way I like them.

A couple of desktop gadgets I had look funny or missing graphics, but that's no biggie.

Overall no major problems and really glad it did an update. I hate re-installing everything.

DirecTV2PC looks like it's finally gone. I'll play with some of the settings.

Seems faster / snappier.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I just noticed the iCloud for Windows connector was missing in Outlook. Reinstalled / repaired didn't help. Of course, the Apple page says Win 7 / 8 / 8.1.

Google doesn't seem to know anything about the problem. . . any ideas other than to wait on Apple?

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
jimmie57 said:
One thing I notice today is how much better Win 10 is at memory management while using Internet Explorer.
In 7 if opened 3 or 4 tabs they a opened basically a new whole version f IE as far as the memory was concerned. Open up the task manager and go to processes and you would see each of these processes. When you used them for awhile the memory age would go up.
Win 10 does that also.
However, when you closed the tabs in 7 and then looked in the task manager, processes, you would still see them. It kept them there for reopening those tabs.
Win 10 now completely closes them.
In Win 7 lots of times I would have to close IE completely and restart it to get the memory working correctly.
Yes, it has fixed a lot of memory leaks with IE11 / flash. 8.1 had gotten to the point that I'd have to close all browsers and still kill a bunch in task manager.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
armophob said:
Upgraded to 10 yesterday from 8.1 on my Dell.
My Firefox seems sluggish now.
So I tried to open IE. I have no idea what that is that has replaced it, but I cannot use it.
I found an icon that says favorites, and clearly it did not import mine.

I hope there is a way to regress back to a format I understand.
The laptop upgrade preserved the IE11 icon in the quick launch bar. The desktop didn't.

Just go to program files and create a shortcut for IE. It's all still there with your favorites and layout. Or should be!

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I've had Asus laptop and Dell Desktop on 8 and 8.1 under the same Windows Live login. Both had different wallpaper.

Since the update to 10, the same wallpaper bounces between both machines as I change them back individually.

That's pretty much the only problem (I can't disable the touchpad on the laptop when the mouse is plugged in like it was) but the Dell desktop has several other anomalies. IE11 still stops on it frequently but not on the laptop.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Take a look at the taskbar when you have 2 or more programs running at the same time.
With one open and on the screen, slide your mouse over the second program on the Task Bar. When you do a little preview / thumbnail pops up. That is cool. Now slide your mouse onto the preview / thumbnail and the first program goes away and the second one pops up on the screen. When you move your mouse off of it, the program goes away and the first one is back on the screen.
Mikey Likes It.
Wasn't this in 7 and 8/8.1 ??

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I have been running 7 for 4 years and I never saw it do that. That does not mean that it wouldn't, I just never saw it.
I have never run 8 or 8.1.
I don't have a 7 or 8 around anymore but I think it was the same in both. I currently have over 20 browser tabs to the point that it shows one 'Internet Explorer' tab in the task bar and if you hover over it and hover over a line item, it pulls that item full screen - or goes away if you don't select it. Other tabs (Dos, Notepad, etc,) just show a small thumbnail.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
Steve said:
Same with 7's Aero effects (thanks Mark). Hover over the task manager icon, and you see a small preview. Hover over the preview, it blows up to full-screen. If you don't finally select it, it disappears.
By 'Task Manager' are you meaning the new 'Task Viewer' ? Or do you have TM pinned to the taskbar?

The Task Viewer would be nice to add the Task Manager as a window.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I continue to have weirdness on the desktop . . . icons that are shortcuts (not folders or text files) have a shortcut arrow in the left bottom corner that changes to a 'X' for a while . . . and then back to normal.

The same icons then have a green check mark in the lower right for a while and then back to normal.

What's up?

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
Just had a weird one with a friend's machine that we upgraded a month ago. Sometime this week, Nothing except Outlook, Excel and Word would execute. IE11, Edge or Chrome would open with a blank screen and no options active and never present anything. (Chrome actually gave a crash dialog box)

I finally googled enough via iPad to get to the advanced diagnostic options and did a system restore from 9/14. It actually reported that it didn't complete successfully but on reboot reported that it did and everything was ok.

I urge everyone to review the various options to get to safe mode or system recovery starting with this doc. . . among others - F8 no longer gets you to safe mode. . . http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
steve053 said:
Nice tip. Don't need it now, but know I will someday.
I've already twice had to find that url in my post to remind me how to get to safe mode on some friend's machine with some malware.

Thanks for bumping it up!

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
dpeters11 said:
There are some aspects of IoT that scares me, when light bulbs have security vulnerabilities.

In other ways, you also get stupid things. Who really needs an Internet connected crock pot?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Just like changing a Nest thermostat from Away to Home on the way home, cooks could have dinner in a slow cooker and turn it up on the way home.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I received the update on my Win 10 desktop last night and the iCloud connector for Outlook stopped working. I deleted iCloud for Windows and re-installed (which worked when I changed to Win 10) but still doesn't work.

Everything I Google seems to be before the update.

Any ideas or just wait for Apple to fix?

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
dennisj00 said:
I received the update on my Win 10 desktop last night and the iCloud connector for Outlook stopped working. I deleted iCloud for Windows and re-installed (which worked when I changed to Win 10) but still doesn't work.

Everything I Google seems to be before the update.

Any ideas or just wait for Apple to fix?
I finally fixed my own problem . .. close Outlook and logged out of iCloud and answered 'Yes' to delete local files on the PC (contacts, etc)

Logged back in and it rebuilds those files. Outlook now sees them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts