DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Icon
1,075 Posts
Rich said:
That bothers me too. I've been using the Shell since I got 8.1. I never use the 8.1 interface...never. Not once since I installed the Shell.

Rich
Classic Shell is fully compatible with Win 10.

Reactions: Rich

· Icon
1,075 Posts
Rich said:
BTW, I had no problems with the classic shell on my cobbled together desktop. It loaded right along with W10 and works just as well as it did before. Made me happy.

Rich
Classic Shell has been a rock-solid program since its inception.

Reactions: Rich

· Icon
1,075 Posts
As nothing more than a point of reference, after having postponed it for as long as I was practicably able on the last of my Win 10 1607 boxes that I had not already allowed to update, I finally received, yesterday, the Win 10 Creators Update (1709) on this one. As with all the others, and after what seemed to be another nearly interminable installation time and reboot process, which was, in actuality probably closer to about 90 minutes including the requisite installation of subsequent updates and the manual updating/installation and reordering of more than a few "look-and-feel" items, the end result was yet another Win 10 box that is running pretty much it was before.

My far bigger concern is that the developer of Classic Shell, a shell app that I have both used and recommended for as long as I can remember, has decided to retire from active development of the same and place it into public domain.

I'm not sure I would ever have moved from Win 7 to Win 8/8.1 and then to Win 10 without the availability of Classic Shell, but for now, and as before, everything that was working before is still working both quite groovily and quite peachily.

· Icon
1,075 Posts
My wife's Microsoft Service Pro is only 3 years old and it's not compatible with Windows 11 which is the reason I bought her a new laptop for her birthday. I've read where a lot of people who have PC's that are 5 years old or newer aren't compatible with Windows 11. Personally, I'm not impressed with Windows 11. Cortana is gone and the Start Menu is now in the middle of the screen.
There are a few known things that can be done to make the Windows 11 "experience" more like that of Windows 10, one of which is shifting the Start Menu back to the left: You've just installed Windows 11. Here's how to make it more like Windows 10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts